NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get these mufflers out!

fourseventeen

fourseventeen

Got my 2007 Z up on jack stands. mufflers are unbolted at the clamps behind the axle and the hangers are all off. Dropped the rear sway bar. Still cant get these fuggers out!!! I hear to pull the drivers side out first??? But no matter which I try I cant get either of these 2 out of the car! Been yankin and pulling for over an hour without any luck. I am just installing the B&B mufflers....no X pipe or cats currently. Any advice is much appreciated! Or if someone is around Avondale and bored...drinks are on me if you wanna come give me a hand. :banannadance:

I'm on the other side of the world or I'd come over and give you a hand. You have to get the ass end up in the air. You'll think you're gonna stand it on it's nose but as higher you can get it the better. I took mine up full extension on my floor jack and then put the stands under it and jacked it up again with a 4x4 on the cradle. No other way around it.

I cut my stock one off at the axles, instead of dropping the rear, as I knew they would be tossed.

fourseventeen

Its as high up as it will go. Jack stands sitting on rear cross member at the highest extension. I cant get the mufflers to drop out of the pocket behind the rear bumper beam. Once I get them past that I know they will come right out. and the good thing is the B&B mufflers are smaller so I am sure they will be easier to get in.

fourseventeen

really dont wanna cut these suckers but I am damn tempted. These are the NPP mufflers so they are worth some cash if I can salvage them. I want to get these things out and they are not budging! GRRRRRR

When I had mine done the shop used a little heat and tapped a bit and they came off. SLAMMER

You need to try and get it higher. You're going to need to rotate them under the rear end, in between the 2 jack stands. Do you have medium sized stands or tall ones? I have a set of taller (SUV/truck) stands that may do the trick.

fourseventeen

I have standard height jack stands. BUT I cant get the mufflers to even drop past the beam of the rear bumper. I THINk the car is up high enough to drop the mufflers out once I can get them to drop past the rear frame/bumper support beam.

fourseventeen

slammer...they wiggle inside the H pipe so they are not stuck...just hung up at the rear support beam

fourseventeen

rear hanger is un done. its the frame thats holding it up. im trying to remove the H pipe now but my jack/jackstands wont get the car high enough. what a pain for something that should be so simple

fourseventeen

fuggers are out!!! F*ck that was a pain in the backside!

Dropping the H-pipe gives you extra room to remove the mufflers.

JNMMotorsports

You're going to need to get the rear end really high to get them out. DO NOT cut them unless you want sell them for almost nothinig.

fourseventeen

got them out un damaged :) No cutting, no dents or dings....got them out clean =) whooo hooo! Yeah it took un bolting the H pipe and taking a rubber mallet to knock it out (it was stuck even with all the bolts out) once the H pipe was out I got the wife out to lend a hand...thats all I needed was the H pipe out and a 2nd set of hands. Once the H pipe was out...10 mins and both mufflers were out. The drivers side was cake and the passenger side was a tad bit of a pain...had to wiggle it around and twist the pipe just right to get it out. 1sikvette...you have a shop or somethin? Noticing your sig and that your an "ace vendor"

Desertdawg

You have to take the H pipe out...... hope I'm in time with this advice... :lol

You need to try and get it higher.

You're going to need to rotate them under the rear end, in between the 2 jack stands. Do you have medium sized stands or tall ones?

I have a set of taller (SUV/truck) stands that may do the trick.

Sean, wasn't this the same chit we went thru (Cale, Jim, etc) on removing the exhaust from Chad's car that Saturday extravaganza he hosted not so long ago?

Driver side no problem, but the passenger side needed to have the car's azz up high to gain room to roll and extract the muffler.

Sean, wasn't this the same chit we went thru (Cale, Jim, etc) on removing the exhaust from Chad's car that Saturday extravaganza he hosted not so long ago?

Driver side no problem, but the passenger side needed to have the car's azz up high to gain room to roll and extract the muffler.

I'm not sure. I wasn't part of the exhaust work that day. Cale and Jim did most of that work. They had the whole exhaust out at one point and I'm not sure if they had it all back in yet as they tried to put the mufflers in.

Been yankin and pulling for over an hour without any luck.

:banannadance:

Another new tagline?

Also, have you tried removing the H pipe?

:) :)

Been yankin and pulling for over an hour without any luck.

:banannadance:

Another new tagline?

Also, have you tried removing the H pipe?

:) :)

nope, you have to move the H pipe and yank your junk simultaneously while applying lube periodically.

When I had mine done the shop used a little heat and tapped a bit and they came off.

SLAMMER

OH, AND ONE MORE THING.... REMOVE THE "H" PIIPE AND IT SHOULD WORK!!

SLAMMER

Once again a day late and a dollar short.

fourseventeen

ill bet if I remove the H pipe it would come out. Oh wait....it is out ;) Now i get to spend my morning installing the B&B's.