NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The LT1 Build Continues (Lots of Pics)

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

Well , between moving , going back to school , working , and the kids I have slowly been chipping away at my LT1 rebuild. Attached are the latest and greatest pic. Everything is pretty much done, just need to measure for proper lenght pushrods, prime the engine, bolt the intake and fuel rails down and wait for the cool weather to install.

For those that don't remember when I started this....

Rod bearing pictures :)

Posted Image

Main bearings were not much better.

Posted Image

Block stripped down and almost ready to head to the shop

Posted Image

Box-O-New pistons

Posted Image

Another Close up

Posted Image

Heads back from the shop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Instead of turning the crank I opted to use a new Scat prostock crank. Here is a picture of the crank in its new home.

Posted Image

Rotating assymbly all installed and torqued to spec.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am posting a picture of this just in case anybody else here is doing a LT1 rebuild. The center plug is made out of god damn unobtainium. No plug kit sold includes the proper plug size , after MANY trips to Napa I finally found the correct plug size. 29/64. Really? Wtf chevy ?

Posted Image

Oil pump, windage tray and oil pickup tube all installed. I would like to point out that this pump ended up not working , Ran into oil pan clearence issues so it AND the pickup were swapped out with the correct parts. (Go go pre kitted engine rebuild kits).

Posted Image

92ZR1Wannabe

Gold plated Lunati LT1 timing set. They are proud of these bastards.

Posted Image

Heads bolted up and torqued down.

Posted Image

Lifters, lifter alignment brackets and tension plate all installed, along with the optispark and harmonic balancer. I would like to point out the LT1 / LT4 balancer are not keyed, they are press fit onto the end of the crank. And by press fit the factory service manual means PRESS FIT = TIGHT AS HELL. It took quite abit of time to get that puppy back on there , even warming it up a little in the oven (wife loved that).

Also included in that picture are the are the LT1/LT4 specific rocker arm studs. One would think they were made out of unicorn bone as they were next to impossible to find a part number on. LT1s were designed to use self aligning rocker arms, IE they do NOT need push rod guideplates. This motor came with none self aligning rocker arms, guideplates and aftermarket screw in studs.

Posted Image

Next up is the nice new shiny comp cams 1.6 full roller rocker arms, these are narrow body self aligning. Trick stuff , pricey though. They are simply sitting on the studs right now, I need to measure for pushrod lenght and I will be able to finish up the top end.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next picture I am just showing off my newly powder coated valve covers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway its moving right along, it should be pretty stout as its a 12:1 compression 355, comp cams CC305 camshaft, ported heads / intake, 32 Lb injectors, 52 mm throttle body .. ect ect. It should easily motivate my C4 deep into the 12s. If it fails to do that (which I doubt will be a problem) I do have another option left to make sure I make my goals.

Posted Image

125 Shot, 2 10 Lb bottles:)

Awesome rebuild, pics just need some finger pointing. :yeah: Keep us posted, I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers off and on the juice!

Awesome build up dude. :thumbs 12:1 huh? Where you going to get gas for that? I may be wrong, but isn't that a bit high for 91 octane? ZEX kit: watch those solenoids. When I was looking before I purchased the Harris Speedworks kit, I read that they sometimes have solenoids stick. I really want to hear this one run. :clap :clap :clap

They still have a dial an octane gas station by my house....you need the blue stuff :burnout:lol

AWESOME !!!! Can't wait to see her fly down the 1/4 again :thumbs

92ZR1Wannabe

Awesome build up dude. :thumbs

12:1 huh? Where you going to get gas for that? I may be wrong, but isn't that a bit high for 91 octane?

ZEX kit: watch those solenoids. When I was looking before I purchased the Harris Speedworks kit, I read that they sometimes have solenoids stick.

I really want to hear this one run. :clap :clap :clap

The kit is actually NOS , the Zex bottle was just looked much nicer for the picture. :) When I bought it I go the original NOS 10lb bottle and the Zex bottle. Both of them will have to be recertified before their first refill however they are in great shape and ready to roll.

As far as compression , it actually calculates out to 11.93:1. It shouldn't pose much of a problem with the reverse cooling of the GenII motors. Their are tons of people running 12:1+ on CF without any issues with these motors. Now it would probably pose a problem if you can't control engine temps and its always hovering around 235 in the summer , however I have a brand new dewitts radiator going in at the same time to make sure thats not a issue.

As of right now I am not sure when I will be undertaking the task of installing the motor. I would like to let it cool of some before I start (IE October or so) however all my friends are pushing me to get it ready before October for the Super Chevy race at Firebird. Don't know if I will make that deadline as once the motor is installed I still have to get it broken in and over to TPIS for the dyno tuning. (I have to go old school as I don't think NicD works on these old relics ;) )

Nice! That's a whole lota compression for the street, but I love it and can't wait to hear it. :thumbs

joe@cpr.com

why on earth are you putting a cc305 cam in there?? i understand someone not wanting to go big but that is basically the lt4 hotcam get a lloyd elliot 2 or something, good build non the less

92ZR1Wannabe

why on earth are you putting a cc305 cam in there?? i understand someone not wanting to go big but that is basically the lt4 hotcam get a lloyd elliot 2 or something, good build non the less

I may have stated that wrong, it is engraved XR276HR-12 , I originally thought it was a CC305 but after doing some lunchtime reading it may actually be a CC503. Damn used cams :P (Came in the long block)

grind #- LT1 XR276HR-12

intake lift- .503

exhaust lift- .510

duration@ .050- intake 224 exhaust- 230

LSA 112

Dunno , either way I can't get too silly with the cam as of yet, I have stock 3.07 gears which may limit just how out there I can go with a camshaft. I do however already have the 2800 stall most bigger cams want in a automatic.

grind #- LT1 XR276HR-12 intake lift- .503 exhaust lift- .510 duration@ .050- intake 224 exhaust- 230 Are the above listed lift(s) for 1.6 duration rocker arms or 1.5's?

92ZR1Wannabe

grind #- LT1 XR276HR-12

intake lift- .503

exhaust lift- .510

duration@ .050- intake 224 exhaust- 230

Are the above listed lift(s) for 1.6 duration rocker arms or 1.5's?

1.5 ratio rockers , I am using 1.6's.