NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Patton, McArthur, and now McChrystal. History repeats

FNBADAZ06

Same thing around here, can't say anything political without getting you a$$ canned. :lol

This may be just the tip of the iceburg of things to come when they all get fed up with the prez.

A Commander in Chief who is not fully committed to the war effort places the lives of America's best in danger. Obviously the high brass, who knows what it takes to have a successful campaign in Afghanistan, do not trust those making the decisions. Maybe the Nobel Peace Prize clouds the decisions that need to be taken.

I found it interesting that the General and his aides didn't dispute the accuracy of the story, just apologized for the comments. Sad part is he sounds like a soldiers soldier and not a political hack. You can't politicize war and be effective.

I found it interesting that the General and his aides didn't dispute the accuracy of the story, just apologized for the comments.

Sad part is he sounds like a soldiers soldier and not a political hack. You can't politicize war and be effective.

No, he didn't...which is raising the question/suspicion that he allowed this to go public so he could get out of what he see's as an untenable situation given the current administration's war policy....I don't really buy it (the guys got pride) but who knows. He didn't get to where he is being a dumba$$...the dude is a special forces guy with stars on his shoulder (don't know if he's a 4 star or not), not a politician.

You can't politicize war and be effective.

Nor fight it with one arm tied behind your back.

He knew what he was doing, and I for one support his comments and action. I'd be his wingman anytime!!! :flag

He knew what he was doing, and I for one support his comments and action. I'd be his wingman anytime!!! :flag

:agree and I'll bet 99.9% of soldiers would be. I personally think this will have a devastating affect on morale.

:agree and I'll bet 99.9% of soldiers would be. I personally think this will have a devastating affect on morale.

:agree He took a (calculated?) risk by allowing the interview to happen and to be published....maybe he crossed that line in an attempt to save his troops lives by forcing the administrations hand ? Patraeus is a great commander and apparently a solid intellect as well, but I'm wondering about the morale issue as well :(

Guest Mikey

I just finished reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and yes, history does repeat itself. Some leaders prefer to surround themselves with "Yes Men".

You can't politicize war and be effective.

Nor fight it with one arm tied behind your back.

The Art of War -

the fastest way to lose a war is to hobble your army.

:agree He took a (calculated?) risk by allowing the interview to happen and to be published....maybe he crossed that line in an attempt to save his troops lives by forcing the administrations hand ? Patraeus is a great commander and apparently a solid intellect as well, but I'm wondering about the morale issue as well :(

That does make sense - and I believe a warrior leader would opt for career suicide over losing his men.

Norse Pagan

I just finished reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and yes, history does repeat itself. Some leaders prefer to surround themselves with "Yes Men".

Well to be fair.. Germany had some of the most brilliant commanders of all time. Heinz Guderian comes to mind just for one.

Patton is my favorite allied commander, he was a total badass. I don't know a whole lot about McChrystal as I study history and am not too up to date on current world events. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the president is the commander in chief. it doesn't matter if you agree with him or not; you don't bash on him. I agree with his opinions but he doesn't have the luxury of stating them.

Well to be fair.. Germany had some of the most brilliant commanders of all time. Heinz Guderian comes to mind just for one.

Patton is my favorite allied commander, he was a total badass. I don't know a whole lot about McChrystal as I study history and am not too up to date on current world events. One thing you have to keep in mind is that the president is the commander in chief. it doesn't matter if you agree with him or not; you don't bash on him. I agree with his opinions but he doesn't have the luxury of stating them.

No doubt, he broke the chain of command...the very covenant that every soldier is schooled to embrace.

Having a carreer 4 star general who was a special forces counterintel guru commit what amounts to "professional suicide" without a plan just doesn't make sense. He definetly isn't/wasn't one of the President's "YES" men...no doubt about that one !!!

The latter part of your post is a byproduct of what happens when you join the military, any branch...you lose rights as a person, trust me on this. I do believe like Michael said that he committed career suicide by his statements, but why did/would he do that? Was he just trying to make a point about the administrations stand on the war or was he just standing for something...anything, unlike the prez.

You're also right about Patton being a badass, my father served under his command, wore the "blood and guts" patch and fought in one of the most famous land battles of WWII, the Battle of the Bulge. According to me father, it was a living hell and doesn't talk about it much, he's now 88. He is rather discussed with this prez after all he's been through for this country during that war and all the buddies he lost. :flag

Marana Rich

Check recent history. Our friend Harry Reid from Nevada blocked the appointment of General Pate to a second term as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs because he said he was Rumsfeld's yes man, and should have been speaking his own mind about I&A. Fast forward a few years and someone speaks their own mind, BANG! General Jones, the NSA, has gained reputation as yes man now. Bow low, nod your head, or you are gone?