NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

New modem, I'm ready to play again

Buccaneer

I was having issues with my modem SB5120 and instead of having to reset it electrically every morning after a week of that I decided to buy a new one today. It's the Motorola SB6120, so far I like it and its faster than the old one. At least this one is DOCSIS 3. So I'm good now :partydance::partygrnhat: until this one decides to die.

Speaking of internet stuff...maybe you know. My dLink DR-615 will drop the wireless connections in the house and won't let them reconnect unless I reset the routher. What could it be??? Congrats btw. :thumbs

Speaking of internet stuff...maybe you know. My dLink DR-615 will drop the wireless connections in the house and won't let them reconnect unless I reset the routher.

What could it be???

Congrats btw. :thumbs

Could be interference from someone else running on the same channel or freq. If you have a scanner that shows all the wireless nets in your area, pick a chan/freq that someone else isn't already using... especially if it's fairly strong.

Download and install NetStumbler, best to run when your neighbors are using their wireless routers. The best channel to choose for your wi-fi network would be the one that's not used by any other network and that gives you the best SNR. Choosing the best channel may not improve transfer speeds, but will give you a better wi-fi connection and less connection drops.

With 2.4 GHz wireless LANs, there are several sources of interfering signals, including microwave ovens, cordless phones, Bluetooth enabled devices, FHSS wireless LANs, and neighboring wireless LANs. The most damaging of these are 2.4 GHz cordless phones that people use extensively in homes and businesses. If one of these phones is in use within the same room as a 2.4GHz (802.11b or 802.11g) wireless LAN, then expect poor wireless LAN performance when the phones are in operation.

Microwave operating within 10 feet or so of an access point may also cause 802.11b/g performance to drop. Of course the oven must be operating for the interference to occur, which may not happen very often depending on the usage of the oven. Bluetooth enabled devices, such as laptops and PDAs, will cause performance degradations if operating in close proximately to 802.11 stations, especially if the 802.11 station is relatively far (i.e., low signal levels) from the station that it’s communicating with.

Wow, you said a mouthfull there. I do have those phones in the house, but none within 10' of the router, although it is in the room. One of the phones is near the laptop though. The microwave is not near a computer or router and would have to go through 2 walls to interfere with the router, but not the laptop. I don't have a scanner. We do have phone bluetooth devices, but almost never operating in the house. Several home networks within range...about 6 I'd say with a couple of them medium strength. I guess those would be the most likely culprits then. If you're at Sonic we'll talk.

Wow, you said a mouthfull there.

I do have those phones in the house, but none within 10' of the router, although it is in the room. One of the phones is near the laptop though. The microwave is not near a computer or router and would have to go through 2 walls to interfere with the router, but not the laptop.

I don't have a scanner. We do have phone bluetooth devices, but almost never operating in the house. Several home networks within range...about 6 I'd say with a couple of them medium strength. I guess those would be the most likely culprits then.

If you're at Sonic we'll talk.

I'll miss out on sonic... hosting a friends birthday party. I just copied & pasted some stuff I bookmarked awhile ago.

Good luck! find a barely used channel, or just keep trying other ones until your network stabilizes.

I do have those phones in the house, but none within 10' of the router, although it is in the room. One of the phones is near the laptop though. The microwave is not near a computer or router and would have to go through 2 walls to interfere with the router, but not the laptop.

I don't have a scanner. We do have phone bluetooth devices, but almost never operating in the house. Several home networks within range...about 6 I'd say with a couple of them medium strength. I guess those would be the most likely culprits then.

I'll miss out on sonic... hosting a friends birthday party. I just copied & pasted some stuff I bookmarked awhile ago.

Good luck! find a barely used channel, or just keep trying other ones until your network stabilizes.

Like he said Sean. Sorry I didn't see this sooner before I left for Sonic we could have talked about it a bit. NetStumbler is nice to have, especially for War Driving...Oops! Did I say that? :facepalm:

Is that why I keep pullin up left over chicken on the laptop?

Is that why I keep pullin up left over chicken on the laptop?

No, that's becasue you keep passing out with the chicken in your hand while using the laptop to watch pron..silly Marco. :P Hey, leave that chicken alone damnit!

ACHTUNG! ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS! DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKSEN. DER MASCHINE IST DIGGEN BEI EXPERTEN ONLY! IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS. ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN

ACHTUNG!

ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!

DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKSEN.

DER MASCHINE IST DIGGEN BEI EXPERTEN ONLY!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.

ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN

HAHAHA!! Love it! That was the sign I'd leave at my desk when testing new stuff in the lab.

:banghead what the he$$ are we using capitals or not, you confuse me dawg. I am german but don't know what the he$$ you said

:banghead what the he$$ are we using capitals or not, you confuse me dawg. I am german but don't know

what the he$$ you said

It was something about... (short version) Attention, watch out for chicken chokers at work or something like that. :smilelol What that haas to do with modems, I'm not sure, but it was funny non-the-less. :P

:banghead what the he$$ are we using capitals or not, you confuse me dawg. I am german but don't know

what the he$$ you said

It was something about... (short version) Attention, watch out for chicken chokers at work or something like that. :smilelolWhat that haas to do with modems, I'm not sure, but it was funny non-the-less. :P

That from the guy who said to stop HIJAKING threads. :lol

Are you guys sure it's a safe website??? Trend Micro antivirus says it's a dangerous site.

As soon as I click the download button it blocks it. http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Or is this the correct site??? http://www.stumbler.net/

Yep, thats what I thought too about Hijacking, but it is ACE...right? Doh! :P Yeah the second one (link) Sean is the correct one.

Ok, so how do you use the damn thing???

Just run it, you should get a list of access points/networks on the right. Look at the channel column. You want to change your router wifi channel to one that isn't being used. Also the SNR (signal to noise ratio - defined as the power ratio between a signal (meaningful information) and the background noise (unwanted signal)) column... the higher the number the better. The signal column is a good indicator of how far away someone elses wifi unit is... the lower the number (e.g. in negatives... -90dbm = far, -50dbm = close) the farther away it is. So if all the channels are used, pick a channel in your wifi unit that's the same as the channel you see, with the lowest signal (e.g. -90dbm).

A typical urban location these days might have an average noise level around -95 dBm. When you switch on the microwave oven or take a call on your 2.4GHz phone, this value will increase. I've seen a 2.4GHz phone produce -50 dBm of noise, which is enough to saturate some Wi-Fi radios and thus kill their connection completely.

It may not work in vista... see this linkly for some more info & vistastumbler link for download.

You can also hit up the netstumbler faq here.

This is all I get when I open it up.

Posted Image

No matter what buttons I push, nothing happens.

I am running Vista on this machine, Windows 7 on my laptop and XP pro on the work laptop.

Will take a look at your links and report back later...when headache is gone. :xfinger

Ok, I'm a dumbazz. I was trying to run that program on my PC that does not have a wireless adapter. :banghead So I switched an moved to my laptop that has Windows 7. It runs, but says no wireless adapter present. :confused

Ok, I'm a dumbazz. I was trying to run that program on my PC that does not have a wireless adapter. :banghead

So I switched an moved to my laptop that has Windows 7. It runs, but says no wireless adapter present. :confused

Some cards/adapters are unsupported. Check which yours is through; start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system information... then hit the Components, Network, Adapter... you're looking for something like, Name or Product Type = [0000012] Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG (which is what is in my HP/Compaq 6910p).

Check the compatibility list here. There could also be an issue with your wifi adapter, win 7, and netstumbler just not playing nice together. The 0.4.0 version of NS states it should work with win 7.

You should see something like this:

post-1402-1277133438.jpg

Notice the device drop down has the list of network adapters. Ensure yours is showing up. If not, there's likely a compatibility issue. Try a machine with Win XP & a wifi adapter. Also notice most of the AP's in my area are channel 6 or 1, so I went with 11. Signal at -49, SNR at 50ish... ideal!

That's the issue. It's a RealTek and says unsupported. :banghead I'll see if I can do it on the work laptop. But once school starts I'll very rarely bring it home anymore.

Ok, works fine on the XP machine. The guy with the strongest signal is on the same channel. Ok, there's the problem. Question is, I don't see how to change the channel. :confused

Ok, works fine on the XP machine. The guy with the strongest signal is on the same channel. Ok, there's the problem.

Question is, I don't see how to change the channel. :confused

Login to your Wireless router... probably the same as your cable/dsl router? If so, it's likely http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 You can check in windows by running a command prompt, Start, Run, type = cmd <enter> or Start, Command Prompt, or Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

at the c:\ type "ipconfig /all" This may dump a few network adapters, but you looking for a specific one that has an IP address and Default Gateway...

Your looking for you wireless router, or even the wired / ethernet IP Address... Default Gateway :

Should looks something like this for a wired / ethernet address: Wireless will just say something about RealTec Wireless adapter.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : <mac-address is here>

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : <this is the IP address of your machine>

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:48:18 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:48:11 AM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

... more stuff about DHCP and DNS addresses ...

Once you login to your WiFi router, look for wireless settings. Within those settings should be a Channel selection pull down.

I have a stand-alone WiFi access point, separate from my cable modem and separate from my router.

Mine is linksys... but most look something similar to this:

post-1402-1277166243.jpg

Change the channel and Save Settings. You'll likely have to rescan the networks on your laptops and then reconnect.

You should also ensure you're using some sort of Wireless Encryption unless you like your neighbors leeching off your network connection, slowing everything down and possibly hacking into your computers. :cfdeadagain

The funny thing about using NetStumble is you would be "amazed" how many people that are using WiFi are totally open to the world in therir house. Bad side is, you will have access to login into their router and mess around, set a PW, login name, make other changes and lock them out unless they know what to do, but since they are wide open, they probably don't. Oh, this is TOTALLY ILLEGAL, but could be done if you were a bad guy, jus sayin'...Check your settings and lock it down.

Ok, think I got it. No one is on Channel 10 and it was also the highest with 2.457 GHz. SNR = 70 +/- (I think you said that was good) Signla = -20 (think you said that was good too) :xfinger Tom, alll routers in range are either WPA or WPA2 :lol

Sounds good! That's a strong signal! See what happens in the next few days/weeks & adjust if necessary. :thumbs