NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

thinking about getting heads

Lwcs561

I was wondering what the benefits are of swapping out 241 heads to 243 heads? Also what would the gain difference be between oem 243's and cnc 243s?

Guest LOUDMIKE

I was wondering what the benefits are of swapping out 241 heads to 243 heads? Also what would the gain difference be between oem 243's and cnc 243s?

Wow lots of differences. Gains not huge but you would feel the difference in both power and crisper throttle. I would definitely do the 243's. As far as port and polish heads? Depends on cost, who did them and why??

well its just a thought for right now. Since reading how they're a direct swap ( nearly except hearing that new pushrods may be required depending what springs are on the heads?), it seems like it would be an easy hp gain, then the tuning afterwards. Like I said before, im trying to learn some more about internals, this is a way of getting my feet wet i guess. They would be going on the trans am. I guess i'd most likely be going with oem heads at this point. I dont know how involved an install is tho

Guest LOUDMIKE

The install as far as being technical is a piece of cake. Pushrods are only needed if springs are aftermarket. Factory springs work fine with your factory pushrods. The biggest issue with this install is getting to the back of the heads under the hood. Reall PIA!!! i am more than happy to help so just let me know!!

will do. about the springs, a buddy of mine said that it was because the cam in the ls1 is a different size, so it would require different length rods, and that some 243 heads have yellow springs. is there any truth to that? i wonder how much an install would generally run? I can imagine the process of getting the heads under the hood being a pia because of the miniscule amount of room in the engine bay

Guest LOUDMIKE

will do. about the springs, a buddy of mine said that it was because the cam in the ls1 is a different size, so it would require different length rods, and that some 243 heads have yellow springs. is there any truth to that? i wonder how much an install would generally run? I can imagine the process of getting the heads under the hood being a pia because of the miniscule amount of room in the engine bay

The 243 heads all came with stock yellow bumble bee springs. They are a little stronger spring. And yes the camshaft in an Ls2 is different than a cam in an LS1. But i have bolted a dozen sets of 243 heads on a lot of different combinations. (ls1, LS2 and with diff cams) The push rods are the same on all LS1, LS2 and LS6 motors. No worries there. YEs clearance sucks in the f-body cars!! Sorry just saying

haha no worries here. Thank you for all the info. I guess what im tryin to do is go from an ls1 to an ls6 setup minus the cam ( because the cam + install costs outweigh the gains i would get, and would be more beneficial to save up and do a bigger head/cam setup).

haha no worries here. Thank you for all the info. I guess what im tryin to do is go from an ls1 to an ls6 setup minus the cam ( because the cam + install costs outweigh the gains i would get, and would be more beneficial to save up and do a bigger head/cam setup).

Do a real cam and it'll make wayyyyyyyyyyy more power. Real cams are the best bang for the buck.

Remember too as you search for some 243 heads that they came with or without the lightweight valves. Make sure you get LS6 heads, not LS2 heads. Same head, different valves. If it were me, (and this IS what I did on my car) I'd wait to do the heads until you do a cam. Get the heads, get them ported, get an intake, get the long tubes and do it all at once. then, you're only paying for the labor that one time. Plus, the advantage of new heads isn't really taken advantage of until you do a cam. And a cam can't perform without the heads... None of it works without the bigger intake and headers to move air in and out.... It's all kind of a package deal that to get the performance from each of the parts, you need the others as well. It's also advantageous to know what cam you're using before having the heads worked so that they can be better matched. You can tell the guys porting the heads what you're using and they can adjust the runners, and bowl size to make sure you get the bast performance for the money you're spending.

i guess it would be safer to get stock oem 243 heads until later when i do a cam...if i do a cam..they can be ported to match. I already have the ls6 intake, so i guess it would be a good match with the heads, unless i went bigger

well i want to avoid a cam for now, as it's too much money for my budget, being that they range between 300 and $500, then the install, then tuning