NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

P0443

Bigfoot

Seems I've got an EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve going (or gone) bad.

It's kicking the code regularly now and turned on the check engine light a few times now. I've been able to clear it before, but now when I do it comes right back. It's also caused a hard start or start then stall a couple times now. :banghead

Easy enough to replace since it's on the left side of the engine directly under the fuel rail cover.

ED, how much are these things???

When it cools off I'm going to go check lines and electrical connectors, but without the proper Tech 2 scanner etc, it's a swap and hope it's the right fix. :xfinger

I didn't have that particular code but had some other issues with the evap system. Took it to LPM and they found all kinds of things that needed addressing with it.

Ok, got the part through AutoZone and all seems to be good for now. When it was occuring was in high air temps and after the motor got hot as well (typical of a sticking solenoid). Drover her for a bit and parked her. Going to take her out again, but so far so good. :xfinger

Nope, came back. :banghead I disconnected the battery for the night. See if it "resets" the system. If not, anyone have any ideas???

LPM? I know nothing about LS motors, sorry, but if you need CF help let me know. Jus sayin' :P

I have no idea Sean, and since I've never had the code on mine I'm watching this thread with "expectant apprehension" :facepalm::lol

Damn, still kicking the code. Only happens once it gets hot. Drove to school today to make some copies and never kicked the code. Shut it off and went inside for several hours. Come back out and fire it up, there it is. :banghead Clear it and keeps coming back. So, the book says check wiring and the very UNLIKELY chance it's a PCM. Guess I'll be digging the meter out. :facepalm: I can't run any of the other checks without a TechII scanner. :(

I think I found it. :xfinger There is a tube that runs from the EVAP Control Valve Canister Solenoid (or whatever the hell it is) to the front of the intake manifold. It's got a couple of "quick" disconnects and inside each end with there's an o-ring. One of the o-rings was barely visible when you look at it on one side. So I pulled it off and put a piece of hose in place of it with a nice tight fit. As of now, no codes. I'll test again tomorrow, but I'm hopeful. I think the heat was getting to it and causing the problem.

Ok, I'll take a pic of it some time today. I'm hopeful, but not 100% confident. The tag on the test port on the other side of the EVAP part says it's only a 2psi MAX system. We'll see. :xfinger

Guest LOUDMIKE

Fingers crossed but if for some reason it comes back on we have the tech II and I have a few other tools to diag. More than happy to give a few pointers as well. Just let me know. I dont know much about LS motors either TOM

Thanks Mike, I was already considering you guys if it does come back and can't figure it out.

This is the part I replaced...

Posted Image

This is the tube. One o-ring in each end.

Posted Image

I took her out for a drive and warmed her up. Letting it sit out in the sun right now. Will restart in a bit and go for another drive, just like the other days when the code occured. We'll see what happens. :xfinger But I'm on 3 starts now with no code present.

4 start cycle and test drive and GTG!!!! Will go again one more time later. :xfinger If it passes that I'll call it fixed. :)

well id hook up my tech2 for ya but youd have to make the trip down to yuma. sounds like you got the mad diag skills and worked it without the scaner though. :yeah: time will tell, sometimes evap codes wont run the test but once every 30 days, good luck

Well, when I started the car yesterday evening it kicked the code and almost stalled the car. It was on for a bit then I managed to clear it and it didn't return. I did not drive the car today. It has something to do with heat build up under the hood that is making that relay stick I think. I may have to go see someone soon with the Tech II.

I believe AutoZone has a loaner TechII or they will pull it for you there at the store.

I believe AutoZone has a loaner TechII or they will pull it for you there at the store.

Acutally I think they only have an OBDII reader, which just pulls codes like C5's already can do...but I will check. Thanks Eddie.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after replacing the short hose with a longer one to make sure I have a good seal, I've driven the piss out of her a few times and in the heat of the day with no repeat of the code. I have not yet run it with my painted fuel rail cover. I'm puting that back on tomorrow and take her out again. I hope not, but I'm wondering if since it's painted that it may be holding too much heat under it and causing that relay to get too hot and malfunction. Will find out tomorrow. :xfinger Otherwise I'm calling it fixed if it passes tomorrow.

I would say you are probably good. I don't think the covers will make that much of a difference. Have fun testing it......

Fingers crossed but if for some reason it comes back on we have the tech II and I have a few other tools to diag. More than happy to give a few pointers as well. Just let me know.

I dont know much about LS motors either TOM

That's good to know, but don't let that get out. :P

Hope that works for you Sean.

Ok, I'm calling her fixed. I've had her out in the heat...even today when it was brutally HOT, with painted fuel rail cover on. She's been started after getting reaching normal temps during the day, sat out in the heat. Every condition that set the code before has been duplicated a few different times. Have not had a repeat of the code since new hose was put on. Think she's good to go. :xfinger