1984 falling into the C4orce foot steps

Swagg4

So I started running into problems with my crossfire engine and have decided to move on. I've been reading about the C4orce project and decided to do the swap to an LS1 engine from a Tahoe. First what do vette guys think about this change from a true vette engine (won't change my decision I'm just curios). Second, are there any upgrades or additions that I should make to the engine as I make the install?

I don't have the answers you are looking for but will be interested to see how it goes. From my limited knowledge, the first thing I would swap would be the cam. Truck cams are usually concerned with bringing torque in at very low rpm. Cam along with intake/injectors should liven it up, but all my knowledge is from old school pontiac motors (389) and SBC and BBC's from the 60's. I get lost in the new engines. Roger

So I started running into problems with my crossfire engine and have decided to move on. I've been reading about the C4orce project and decided to do the swap to an LS1 engine from a Tahoe.

First what do vette guys think about this change from a true vette engine (won't change my decision I'm just curios).

Second, are there any upgrades or additions that I should make to the engine as I make the install?

WOW! So what's wrong with your CFI motor?

So I started running into problems with my crossfire engine and have decided to move on. I've been reading about the C4orce project and decided to do the swap to an LS1 engine from a Tahoe.

First what do vette guys think about this change from a true vette engine (won't change my decision I'm just curios).

Second, are there any upgrades or additions that I should make to the engine as I make the install?

Unstappable leaks and kicking out smoke, which is getting worse. Also, I like the idea of a modern drivetrain, and it seems to me that an ls1 is easier to upgrade and maintain as well(I could be wrong though, I just can't find many people that really know the cfi real well here in Tulsa).

Also, I love the idea of well over 300hp in my '84 over the 205hp I currently have.

What kind of smoke? Oil leak or head gasket?

Oil I'm sure, but I'm no mechanic

Unstappable leaks and kicking out smoke, which is getting worse. Also, I like the idea of a modern drivetrain, and it seems to me that an ls1 is easier to upgrade and maintain as well(I could be wrong though, I just can't find many people that really know the cfi real well here in Tulsa).

Ok, sorry to hear that, but that isn't something that is proprietary to just a CFI motor, you have other basic motor issues. Unfortunately you also live in Tulsa, I thought you were here in Phoenix and I could help you out for sure with the CFI setup and get you going and running well. If you decide to keep the CF setup and fix your other motor issues, let me know. My 383 CF runs well. :)

I have a '92 that is going thru the conversion from its old LT1 to a LS3 hot cam crate engine from GM Performance. If you look at the tech forum, look for "C4 conversion to LS3 hot cam". I have attempted to show everyone what Corvette Restoration AZ has done in Tempe, AZ, to complete the conversion. I have absolutely no mechanical ability and have had Kim Madsen's shop do everything. He also has in his shop the original C4orce car that has the LS1 in it just like what you are thinking about. You may want to talk to him about all the work that needs to be done to do it correctly. My car is the second one done by those associated with the C4orce project, although not with the same LS engine. My car will apparently be designated C4orce II. Kim and the C4orce people work closely together and they would be interested in your project. For contact info on Kim and his shop, just type in Corvette Restoration AZ and that should lead you to his website (I am also "IT Challenged"). You can even go to the Services area on that website and look at his shop via his webcams. If you go to camera #3 you will see a dark red convert in the foreground. That is my car. If its not there when you go to the webcam, its at the tranny shop since I have an automatice and the tranny needs to be converted to handle all the shifting function off of hydraulic pressure since the LS3 is "drive by wire" and the old LT1, including the tranny, was cable driven. I also have an album in the Gallery, Member Gallery, entitle "Build of C4orce II". Follow my instructions on howto view the pics and you will see what has been done. It includes pics of Kim and one of Wes, an engineer that works with the C4orce people and who has designed the computer interface that lets the old and new computers work together. With everything else we have done to the car, it will have approximately 510 hp and 505 tq when its done.

In any event, let Kim know how you are doing. They are always interested in projects like yours. Good luck if you decide to do it.

Ok, sorry to hear that, but that isn't something that is proprietary to just a CFI motor, you have other basic motor issues. Unfortunately you also live in Tulsa, I thought you were here in Phoenix and I could help you out for sure with the CFI setup and get you going and running well. If you decide to keep the CF setup and fix your other motor issues, let me know. My 383 CF runs well. :)

Yeah I understand it wasn't a cfi only issue, but if I need an engine rebuild I thought it might just be better to go for a modern drivetrain instead of sticking with the older cfi. Aren't I gonna have better access to easier and better upgrades to by going with the ls1?

Yeah I understand it wasn't a cfi only issue, but if I need an engine rebuild I thought it might just be better to go for a modern drivetrain instead of sticking with the older cfi. Aren't I gonna have better access to easier and better upgrades to by going with the ls1?

In a word...yes, but it all boils down to money and how fast do you really want to go. If money is not a concern and you want to have really fast car with lots of mods available to you, go the LS route. Good luck on your new project either way.

AirBusPilot

That would be a cool swap. But if money is even a remote issue, you can buy new/warrantied SBC long blocks all day and night anywhere for dirt cheap, and install would be an exact fit.

c4for2 thanks for the info, I sent him an email, your project looks pretty sick! AirBusPilot - love the handle! I'm new to this stuff so I hadn't heard about that swap, a little late now I've already got the engine and parts necessary for the swap. Buccaneer - money is always a concern! I'm not looking to have the baddest car in town, just something that has some more punch and parts availability as I plan on keeping this car forever. Maybe there were more options for the cfi that I didn't know about but oh well, maybe I found this site a little late. Back to the original question: is there anything I should be doing to the ls1 right now to maximize it? Or even my C4, I'm already in the process of switching the brakes over to C5 ZO6 brakes.

c4for2 thanks for the info, I sent him an email, your project looks pretty sick!

AirBusPilot - love the handle! I'm new to this stuff so I hadn't heard about that swap, a little late now I've already got the engine and parts necessary for the swap.

Buccaneer - money is always a concern! I'm not looking to have the baddest car in town, just something that has some more punch and parts availability as I plan on keeping this car forever. Maybe there were more options for the cfi that I didn't know about but oh well, maybe I found this site a little late.

Back to the original question: is there anything I should be doing to the ls1 right now to maximize it? Or even my C4, I'm already in the process of switching the brakes over to C5 ZO6 brakes.

Ah yes, whenever any type of project is not complete, it looks "sick" just before completion. Just think how sick women look just after boob jobs, and how GREAT the project looks in the end!! When my car is complete I will post the final pics since you will most likely not come to Phonix to see it. Good luck!