NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

What to do...Z06 muffler mod or B&B Fusion?

fourseventeen

fourseventeen

Im tossed up. I am thinking about going Tues or Wends to have the muffler mod done to my Z but then I came across the B&B Fusion system which will let me keep my Mild2Wild exhaust controller. Now I dont know what to do!!! $200.00 to mod my stock mufflers or 1600.00 for the B&B Fusion system. Hmmmmmm

fourseventeen

those Fusions look bad ass and sound real nice BUT I am also hearing people complain about the droan on the fwy. Since we will take road trips in the Z the last thing I want is a headache on a 5-6 hour drive. So I think ill stick with the stocks and have the muffle mod done.

Muffler mod will keep the NPP bi-mode but the Fusion is bi-mode as well. Dave (Eudlose) has the Fusion on his car so you can check his out. For $200 doing the muf mod is an inexpensive mod and just might give you the sound you want...if you decide to go louder you can sell your OEM modded muffler's to recoup the cost. I'm going the muffler mod first as well, as I want that quite mode when the flap is closed but might switch to a fusion later on.

I've got B&B Bullits on a C5 with an A4. These are the most obnoxious things you can do without going just straight pipes. I did 700 miles round trip to Cali and back and loved it. But them again I'm a little :chris

Im tossed up. I am thinking about going Tues or Wends to have the muffler mod done to my Z but then I came across the B&B Fusion system which will let me keep my Mild2Wild exhaust controller. Now I dont know what to do!!! $200.00 to mod my stock mufflers or 1600.00 for the B&B Fusion system.

Hmmmmmm

What's the "$200 to mod my stock mufflers" ?

Marana Rich

Fror 90 bucks you can buy the remote switch to leave the WILD open all the time, and make it MILD when needed. (Long drives, uphill pulls, etc.)

I have the fusions on my car. They only drone when the baffles are open. I REALLY like the ability to quiet them up when crusing on the highway. :2cents

fourseventeen

I have the mild to wild remote. stock is not loud enough. this is a 500+ hp car for goodness sakes....it doesnt sound any different then a 400hp C6 or that V6 camaro that lives a couple houses down lol. Muffler mod makes 2 of the 4 mufflers louder so you can use the bi mode to shut down the louder 2 when at hwy speeds or below 3500 rpm or use the mild 2 wild controller to leave the 2 loud ones open all the time. Its not super loud that way but def louder then stock. with the B&B I hear a lot of people complain about the droan in the couples while on the fwy. I have a house in Laughlin and most of my fam is in CA so I will be going to Laughlin about once a month in the summer months and to CA 2-3 times a year and would like the option to take my Z but if the droan is crazy I wont want to drive it on the fwy at all....I dont like headaches ;) I wish Loud Pedal was close...id swing out there to hear them but thats a HUGE drive lol. How much can you get that system for if I decide to go that route? I have a killer price lined up right now....$1580.00 SHIPPED! =) Just debating to pull the trigger or try the muffle mod out first. Seems the stock Z mufflers sell for about 500.00 used and with the muffle mod it only seems to increase the price by about 50 bucks.

I have the mild to wild remote. stock is not loud enough. this is a 500+ hp car for goodness sakes....it doesnt sound any different then a 400hp C6 or that V6 camaro that lives a couple houses down lol.

Muffler mod makes 2 of the 4 mufflers louder so you can use the bi mode to shut down the louder 2 when at hwy speeds or below 3500 rpm or use the mild 2 wild controller to leave the 2 loud ones open all the time. Its not super loud that way but def louder then stock.

with the B&B I hear a lot of people complain about the droan in the couples while on the fwy. I have a house in Laughlin and most of my fam is in CA so I will be going to Laughlin about once a month in the summer months and to CA 2-3 times a year and would like the option to take my Z but if the droan is crazy I wont want to drive it on the fwy at all....I dont like headaches ;)

I wish Loud Pedal was close...id swing out there to hear them but thats a HUGE drive lol. How much can you get that system for if I decide to go that route? I have a killer price lined up right now....$1580.00 SHIPPED! =) Just debating to pull the trigger or try the muffle mod out first.

Seems the stock Z mufflers sell for about 500.00 used and with the muffle mod it only seems to increase the price by about 50 bucks.

I assume you equate loud vehicles with higher power. If that were true H-Ds would rule the road. But to each his own.

You might want to bend down a little farther when you look at your mufflers. There are only two, not four.

It's not necessary to have a M2W control to keep the flaps open in loud mode. Removing and plugging the vacuum line will do it.

The drone only happens around 1500 RPM. If that bothers you, try shifting to a different gear to increase/decrease the RPM.

A $1580 SHIPPED price for B&B is no big deal considering B&B is a local manufacturer.

A $50 price differential of used stock vs. modded mufflers is essentially no different than spending $200 to get tinted glass and only increasing the value of the car by $50.

And really now, what is this thread all about? You originally posted a question and then answered it yourself in the second post.

fourseventeen

Hoxxoh...you in PMS mode today? No I dont equate louder with more power...if thats the case my 2010 Harley would smoke my Z06 and my neighbors POS honda down the street would smoke my vette too. You think im that stupid? Yes there is 2 mufflers BUT they are routed into 2 chambers in the mufflers. so what I meant to say is with the mild 2 wild it seals off 2 of the 4 tips (not mufflers...my bad on the wording) As far as the flaps are concerned....sure I can plug the vacuum line or even easier then that I can just pull the damn fuse! BUT then its stuck that way and if I want it quiet on the hwy I wouldnt have a choice now would I? So I have the M2W controller to solve this issue. $1580 shipped is no big deal? Chump change huh? LOL. And B&B sells these for more, this is through a 3rd party not direct with B&B. really now what is this thread all about....well lets see....me asking for some oppinions from others who may have this system. The I did more research while I waited for a response and found people complaining about the droan. So whats the big freakin deal again? So do you have these mufflers on a late body style Z06? Or were you just tossing in a little attitude for the hell of it? Or was there actually a point to your response? Cause afterall it does seem your bashing me for my post yet your response was really no help either.

You really should hear the BBs with the baffles closed. It takes out most if not all of the drone and as others have said it is only at high load / low rpm. I love mine and wouldn't run anything else on the Z. We are right off the 101 in Tempe... it's not THAT far. ;)

fourseventeen

thanks eudlose. Great info buddy. Tempe I think I can do Tuesday afternoon. ill PM you.

Hoxxoh...you in PMS mode today?

No I dont equate louder with more power...if thats the case my 2010 Harley would smoke my Z06 and my neighbors POS honda down the street would smoke my vette too. You think im that stupid?

Yes there is 2 mufflers BUT they are routed into 2 chambers in the mufflers. so what I meant to say is with the mild 2 wild it seals off 2 of the 4 tips (not mufflers...my bad on the wording)

As far as the flaps are concerned....sure I can plug the vacuum line or even easier then that I can just pull the damn fuse! BUT then its stuck that way and if I want it quiet on the hwy I wouldnt have a choice now would I? So I have the M2W controller to solve this issue.

$1580 shipped is no big deal? Chump change huh? LOL. And B&B sells these for more, this is through a 3rd party not direct with B&B.

really now what is this thread all about....well lets see....me asking for some oppinions from others who may have this system. The I did more research while I waited for a response and found people complaining about the droan. So whats the big freakin deal again?

So do you have these mufflers on a late body style Z06? Or were you just tossing in a little attitude for the hell of it? Or was there actually a point to your response? Cause afterall it does seem your bashing me for my post yet your response was really no help either.

Hey dude, it wasn't me that made the statement about a 500HP car not any louder than a 400HP car, which really sounded stupid if you think about it. Then when you say 4 mufflers, it kinda wanted to confirm your ignorance.

After reading the first two items, it appeared you didn't understand how the bi-mode system worked and that it required the M2W to keep the flaps open, so I mentioned an alternative for other people who may read this thread.

Your comment about the price of the Billy Boat units that included the shipping had the word "SHIPPED" in caps. That's like yelling that the shipping is the big deal there. I placed emphasis on the shipping, not the base price, and then explained why. Bold is commonly used to place emphasis and to call attention without yelling, such as I did to help you learn the correct spelling of drone.

It didn't appear you were too interested in other people's opinions when you seem to have made up your mind the direction you wanted to go in just 29 minutes after asking the question.

No, I don't have a Z06, but I do have the mufflers. I have them for the performance factor, not the sound. Doing the mod reduces the performance.

It seems that you're the one bashing. All I did was attempt to point out solutions and hopefully eliminate some ignorance.

fourseventeen

Im not bashing at all but clearing up what I had to say. Anyway....

So you have the bi mode fusions on a C6? If so how bad is the droNE at hwy speeds? I am wanting something better sounding for the car. Its just like the Harley thing....stock mine sounded like shit. IMHO a Harley should sound mean and loud....its a Harley not a crotch rocket. And IMHO a Z06 should have some growl to it as well...its not a luxury sedan, its a sports car.

I completely understand how the bi-mode works. I have never worked on this system before but I have seen one opened up as well as all of the components involved. I got the M2W so I had the option to leave it open all the time or close it when below 3500rpm (for the wifes sake) So one thing I have not heard about nor understand is how does doing the muffler mod lose performance?

1580 SHIPPED....meaning thats a great pricing including shipping. Yes I emphasized SHIPPED because a lot of places are selling the system for 1600 or more PLUS shipping.

So you have the bi mode fusions on a C6? If so how bad is the droNE at hwy speeds? I am wanting something better sounding for the car. Its just like the Harley thing....stock mine sounded like shit. IMHO a Harley should sound mean and loud....its a Harley not a crotch rocket. And IMHO a Z06 should have some growl to it as well...its not a luxury sedan, its a sports car.

I completely understand how the bi-mode works. I have never worked on this system before but I have seen one opened up as well as all of the components involved. I got the M2W so I had the option to leave it open all the time or close it when below 3500rpm (for the wifes sake) So one thing I have not heard about nor understand is how does doing the muffler mod lose performance?

1580 SHIPPED....meaning thats a great pricing including shipping. Yes I emphasized SHIPPED because a lot of places are selling the system for 1600 or more PLUS shipping.

I have Z06 mufflers on my LS3. They have the same drone as yours. The mod doesn't allow any portion of the exhaust to exit through the quiet side tips. An internal pressure is created (and sound reduced) due to the exit pipe diameter. If you close off the perforations on the loud side to get more sound, you also force all the exhaust through a smaller opening and reduce the performance. The inlet is also smaller than your Z06 pipes and that adds to your problem. It's one of the reasons headers on a Z06 don't have big HP gains. But then again, it seems you're more interested in having it sound more powerful than actually increasing the power, so that shouldn't make much difference.

As far as the shipping cost from a BB supplier, I was merely pointing out that he's local, so shipping is a non factor.

fourseventeen

Yup I know B&B is local but the deal was from one of their dealers out of state. They charge 99.00 for shipping flat rate...even though I am in AZ which didnt make sense. I have Loud Pedal checking to see how much he can get them for and pick them up direct from B&B. My main reason for wanting to mod the mufflers or get new ones is for the sound, not the power. I want to add some bark to it. Sounds a little to quiet. I am in my 30's so I am not wanting something to loud but something maybe 10 or so DB above stock would be nice as long as the drone isnt to crazy. My Z06 stockers dont have much drone...def not anything annoying. I fear with the B&B it may be to much on the fwy. I am going to go Tuesday and go for a spin with EUDLOSE to see how it sounds inside his car. If its not to bad I will just order those and call it a day. If I get a few HP out of the deal...I wont argue thats for sure. My main goal is just to get a better sound out of her. My car motor wise is all stock with exception of a K&N air intake that I need to put on this week sometime. If I wanted a ton of HP I would have bought a supercharger and not these costly wheels I ordered up last week :thumbs

I have Z06 mufflers on my LS3. They have the same drone as yours. The mod doesn't allow any portion of the exhaust to exit through the quiet side tips. An internal pressure is created (and sound reduced) due to the exit pipe diameter. If you close off the perforations on the loud side to get more sound, you also force all the exhaust through a smaller opening and reduce the performance. The inlet is also smaller than your Z06 pipes and that adds to your problem. It's one of the reasons headers on a Z06 don't have big HP gains. But then again, it seems you're more interested in having it sound more powerful than actually increasing the power, so that shouldn't make much difference.

As far as the shipping cost from a BB supplier, I was merely pointing out that he's local, so shipping is a non factor.

Hey Tom,

I haven't heard of anyone losing power with the Z06 muffler mod on CF. The only thing they are doing is closing off the perferation on the "loud pipe" section to give it a straight pipe sound, ala ZR1 mufflers. The only reason the Z06 mufflers have these perferations is to reduce the exhaust tone...the ZR1 and the NPP option mufflers don't have this sound abating feature so the exhaust tone is a little more aggressive. :thumbs

Hey brother you definately need to come by the house then. TIM or SLAMMER has the same kit on his car and they are my favorite exhaust kit for sure. Like EUDLOSE stated, they are quite when you want them to be with very little if not all drone noise when closed. But for the price you definately need to here them. Tim lives right around the corner from me and he will be heading back home in a couple of days. You will want to here them before he leaves for sure.

fourseventeen

ill be free tomorrow and wends if anyones around. Otherwise I will take the drive out to Tempe to hear there ;)

Hey Tom,

I haven't heard of anyone losing power with the Z06 muffler mod on CF. The only thing they are doing is closing off the perferation on the "loud pipe" section to give it a straight pipe sound, ala ZR1 mufflers. The only reason the Z06 mufflers have these perferations is to reduce the exhaust tone...the ZR1 and the NPP option mufflers don't have this sound abating feature so the exhaust tone is a little more aggressive. :thumbs

The NPP only has 2.5" pipes throughout, so there's no additional restriction. The Z06 (bigger displacement and flow features) uses 3" that reduces to 2.5" at the muffler inlet and then further at the muffler outlet. By having the perforations on the straight-through (loud) side, the additional backpressure is relieved to exit out the quiet side tip during WOT. Under normal everyday street driving, the mod gives additional sound which is what some people want. At the drags it creates a little more backpressure for the Z06 muffler on a Z06. Exactly how much that affects 1/4 mile times is difficult to measure unless you can make the swap in a few minutes while at the track. I recognize that it's a small detail in overall performance, but I consider even the smallest of details important to extract maximum performance.

Hey Tom,

The NPP only has 2.5" pipes throughout, so there's no additional restriction. The Z06 (bigger displacement and flow features) uses 3" that reduces to 2.5" at the muffler inlet and then further at the muffler outlet. By having the perforations on the straight-through (loud) side, the additional backpressure is relieved to exit out the quiet side tip during WOT. Under normal everyday street driving, the mod gives additional sound which is what some people want. At the drags it creates a little more backpressure for the Z06 muffler on a Z06. Exactly how much that affects 1/4 mile times is difficult to measure unless you can make the swap in a few minutes while at the track. I recognize that it's a small detail in overall performance, but I consider even the smallest of details important to extract maximum performance.

Hhmmm...interesting.

What I believe I remember reading is that the engineers where asked to tone down the straight thru pipe section of the muffler (thought to be too loud) and to accomplish this they added the perferations to allow the sound wave to disperse within the muffler housing which toned down the exhaust....same reason the Z had an H pipe instead of an X pipe at the cats. What I DID see was a test of having the exhaust dampners (flaps) open ALL THE TIME.....this had an adverse effect on the fuel trim on stock ECU cars....

C6 Z06 dampners vs fuel trim

THe new ZR1 mufflers have no perfs in the straight pipe and is a popular option for OEM guys looking for better sound, but they're 750.00+ each. RichieRich on the CF Z06 site has them on his car a compared them to his modded Z06 mufflers.

fourseventeen

Well if I decide to go with the B&B Fusion....I just talked to the guy again and he said he no longer has one in stock but that he could order it with B&B and I could get it put on will call once its ready (est 5-7 business days) for $1575.00 out the door. Really wanting to hear one of these systems now. If anyone has one around Avondale tonight id love to hear it. Otherwise tomorrow I will take a ride out to Loud Pedal and hear the one they have. :partydance:

I would go with the muffler mod. and save $. The BB fusion does look much better, but it is not that much louder. I went with the muffler mod for awhile and then changed to the Bullets as I wanted a more aggressive sound. About one week later, I contacted the BB factory in Tempe and had them cut the canisters off the Bullets. Basically, I now have straight pipes. The drone is heavy and the sound is loud, but I don't give a $hit as I don't plan to have meaningfully conversations in the vette.

Anyway, if you are dead set on the fusion have someone from out of state buy them for you and set up for a local pickup. I have done it twice and save myself the tax.

Muffler mod (change comes at about 35 seconds):

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/vi...nt=PB060721.flv

Modded Bullets:

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o123/vi...ent=bullets.flv

fourseventeen

yeah the 1575 deal I have is out of state sale with local "will call" pick up if I decide to buy the Fusions. I will make my decission tomorrow. ;) Thanks for the files...ill peep on them

The drone is heavy and the sound is loud, but I don't give a $hit as I don't plan to have meaningfully conversations in the vette.

:smilelol Post of the day!!