NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

AC and R12

Buccaneer

Who on ACE does this and how much? My system is new, there is NO oil in the compressor, it takes 6oz of Ester oil and it takes 3lbs to fill the system according to my manual. Of course I would like to pump the system down for a lot longer than just an hour or so to get a low as possible vacuum on it. I did see an AC retailer in TX selling R12, 12oz cans for $29.99 a can or by the case. Don't you need a license to by R12? Please respond if you can help, thanks. BTW: No, I don't want to convert my system to 134a or use any other product like freeze12 etc...

Who on ACE does this and how much? My system is new, there is NO oil in the compressor, it takes 6oz of Ester oil and it takes 3lbs to fill the system according to my manual. Of course I would like to pump the system down for a lot longer than just an hour or so to get a low as possible vacuum on it. I did see an AC retailer in TX selling R12, 12oz cans for $29.99 a can or by the case. Don't you need a license to by R12? Please respond if you can help, thanks.

BTW: No, I don't want to convert my system to 134a or use any other product like freeze12 etc...

Call Service Technique and speak to Dale. They do R12 and put in the oil, can do it right away. Just got off the phone with them. Told them you would call.

Chameleon is right. Motor vehicle air-conditioning (MVAC) systems charged with R-12 that are not retrofitted must be serviced by properly trained and certified personnel under a program authorized by EPA. If you buy R-12 off of ebay or a reseller (usually smugggled in from Mexico), you will have to sign an affidavit stating your are certified to purchase it. I would take Chameleon's advice and find a reputable service center.

Azmotorhead (Phil) has some and does it.

Ted, is this at his house, business or what? I thought he was an aircraft mech? How do I ge ahold of him?

Also a vette wrench on the side. I'll pm you his number.

Guest LOUDMIKE

Ok i am lost as to where you all are getting your information. I can still buy R-12 at a pretty reasonable price. I would love to eduacate anyone to the Dupont scam with freon. But let me know how I can help. I find this humerous but not at anyones expense on ACE!!

Bromley's Corvettes

I have been doing R-12 A/C work on C-3s for years. I also convert them to 134a but some guys think R-12 works better so I will do R-12 if thats what they want. The cooling system has more to do with how well the air works if you have a alum rad and dual elec fans 134a will get super cold.

Bromley's Corvettes

I hear you LoudMike I can call the auto parts store and get as much R-12 as I want delivered no lic needed. The last time I checked it was $25.00 a can.

I agree. I also agree with you that it is a sham. Anyone with roots in the industry could see this coming a mile away. Unfortunatley, R-12 has not been produced in the US since 1994. It is still widely available in Mexico, and that is where a lot of the supply in the US originates, albeit illegally. The US stockpile supply has not been completely depleted of course, and as demand has waned, the cost has stabilized. I find the whole situation, as I am sure you do as well, completely baffling. Dateline 1994: DuPont's patent on R-12 is about to expire, allowing other chemical companies to manufacture it, and oops. Turns out it is bad for the environment, we may all die. R-12 is now the devil and we must swith to the NEW DuPont refrigerant, R-134a. What a joke.

I agree. I also agree with you that it is a sham. Anyone with roots in the industry could see this coming a mile away.

Unfortunatley, R-12 has not been produced in the US since 1994. It is still widely available in Mexico, and that is where a lot of the supply in the US originates, albeit illegally. The US stockpile supply has not been completely depleted of course, and as demand has waned, the cost has stabilized.

I find the whole situation, as I am sure you do as well, completely baffling. Dateline 1994: DuPont's patent on R-12 is about to expire, allowing other chemical companies to manufacture it, and oops. Turns out it is bad for the environment, we may all die. R-12 is now the devil and we must swith to the NEW DuPont refrigerant, R-134a. What a joke.

Not surprised in the least. All refrigerants are bad stuff. We covered some of this when I took EPA 608 training, heck I could go buy a 65 pound bottle of R-502 refrigerant if I wanted to. It is, afterall a dangerous blend of chemicals. But, I will think twice about scratching my nardleys the next time I am charging the mean wife's AC.

Not surprised in the least. All refrigerants are bad stuff. We covered some of this when I took EPA 608 training, heck I could go buy a 65 pound bottle of R-502 refrigerant if I wanted to.

It is, afterall a dangerous blend of chemicals. But, I will think twice about scratching my nardleys the next time I am charging the mean wife's AC.

So much to remember, sniffing bad; scratching good. I hope I can keep all of this crap figured out, LOL :splatter:

Final Effort

Who on ACE does this and how much? My system is new, there is NO oil in the compressor, it takes 6oz of Ester oil and it takes 3lbs to fill the system according to my manual. Of course I would like to pump the system down for a lot longer than just an hour or so to get a low as possible vacuum on it. I did see an AC retailer in TX selling R12, 12oz cans for $29.99 a can or by the case. Don't you need a license to by R12? Please respond if you can help, thanks.

BTW: No, I don't want to convert my system to 134a or use any other product like freeze12 etc...

I would also like getting charged, mine leaked out at one of the press switches. How about a Corvette Day for A/C service?