Powder Coating...valve covers, A/C and more!

F22trainer

F22trainer

Bought a spare set of valve covers from junkyard sometime ago and finally have the duckets to get them powdercoated!!!

Dropped them off today, was a little undecided about color...

the crinkle silver was a dead-on match with the intake plenum and intake runners, but I thought it would be "overkill". The basic silver would probably look ok and it's close to the color of silver vette's. I've seen engines with that and they looked great...

but, since I already did the inner fenders with matching car color - I picked "anthracite gray" which will almost match the car's exterior color.

Pic's as soon as I get them back...stay tuned!

Also, I won't have to spend this summer without A/C - it's going in next week for a new system.

And when I get her back - the huge ugly dash pad will get removed and replaced with:

Posted Image

couple of other trinkets on the way too!

...what student loans???

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F22trainer

• Shifty

• Desertdawg

• P51tj

Desertdawg

Damn, what a tease! Now all we have to do is wait for the pictures.

I polished the plenum on my '91, it took forever but looked really sharp! Looking forward to pics! :yeah:

F22trainer

Dropped off the 'Trainer at AMA for A/C R&R yesterday... new compressor Evaporator condensor pressure lines but still R-12... 12 mos / 12K warranty - I should be able to pick it up TODAY!!!! If so, I'll get to try it out in rush hour traffic during the heat of the day. News at 6... Hoping to see those valve covers on Friday.

Marana Rich

Damn, what a tease! Now all we have to do is wait for the pictures.

But your local Atomic Orange is an 06 (i think) with the LS2 so it's Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic... I have some underhood idea's that I want to do, just need to GOMA and get'er done.

well, it's taking them an extra day - seems somehow the condensor is not the same as what came from factory, so they had to order another one of those as they couldn't flush it out. Should be ready this afternoon...of course that added $$$ to the cost.

I have some underhood idea's that I want to do, just need to GOMA and get'er done.

fourseventeen

ohhhh wonder what he would charge to do my covers in atomic orange and my intake tube. didnt think those could be powder coated since they are plastic??

While the A/C shop missed their estimate by about $500 and 3 days - all seemingly justifieable beyond their control - I got her back today. They had to track down an electrical problem which wound up including a harness, the relay and the cooling fan motor itself - along with a new condensor which was an exepected pleasure. Drove home in air conditioned comfort with coolant temps at 185 in traffic and 170 on the freeway. I let it idle in the driveway for about 10 minutes after I got home and it only heated up to 201 and stayed there. A/C really kicked butt once on the freeway, and was plenty cold in traffic without having to run at max cool and temp slider at about 3/4 cold side. I'll give the shop and mechanic credit for going the extra lengths to stay late last night and then finish it up on a Saturday - he even stayed until I got there to make sure I knew what they had done, showed me all the bad parts and wiring he had to replace. Also for taking the time to be very thorough in getting the system back to factory operation / specs'. So now hopefully I have enough $$$ next Friday to pick up my valve covers - goodies from Ecklers arrived yesterday by FedEx, all except the really easy/little items to install which are on back order! But anyway VERY COOL to have A/C once again.

I sure wish I had sliders instead of teh damn C68 electronic garbage... Great to hear that you're up and cool again! :thumbs

92ZR1Wannabe

I sure wish I had sliders instead of teh damn C68 electronic garbage...

Great to hear that you're up and cool again! :thumbs

I prefer the electronic climate control.

Hmmmm do i want it 65 degrees in the car or 66 degees ? :)

I prefer the electronic climate control.

Hmmmm do i want it 65 degrees in the car or 66 degees ? :)

Well, trade me then....mine doesn't work, teh components are too damned expensive, and everything firewall-forward works fine...

• 2 weeks later...

YIPPEE!!! Got my valve covers yesterday - thanks to Chameleon who had to work downtown. 15 bones for each one - they are the same color as p51tj's vette'. Theres some flaws in the finish that can't be helped, but for the most part they look great! Spent the weekend making interior repairs and installing the dash mod panel, repairing some badly worn / damaged door panels (i.e. those nast rust stains on the door panel carpet are gone and replace with ss screws. Found a lot of things falling apart / loose which required some "re-engineering" as plastic had broken in some attachment points. The good news is it is almost all put back together and most of the annoying rattles are gone!!! Pic's of the new valve covers later this evening!!! more later...