NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I have the right to remain Silent

Marana Rich

Marana Rich

The Supreme Court says suspects must explicitly tell police they want to be silent to invoke their Miranda protection during interrogations.

A right to remain silent and a right to a lawyer are the first of the Miranda rights warnings, which police recite to suspects during arrests and interrogations. But the justices said Tuesday suspects must tell police they are going to remain silent to stop an interrogation, just as they must tell police that they want a lawyer.

The ruling comes in a case where a suspect remained mostly silent for a three-hour police interrogation before implicating himself in a murder. He appealed his conviction, saying that he invoked his Miranda right to remain silent by remaining silent.

while on the surface this sounds stupid that someone must "speak to remain silent", but I actually like this. It is a clear signal that im not talking and a sign to stop an interrogation.

Chad hit it on the nose. If you don't say "I wish to remain silent" then I'm continuing with the barrage of questions. Eventually you're going to respond cause I pissed you off or hit a nerve. I believe in this case the investigator just asked the perp if he had asked forgiveness and that hit a nerve. If you say you want to remain silent then I'm stopping the questions right there. The public has a very distorted view of the "Miranda warnings" and when they need to be given. Just as a side note of interest, I helped train David Miranda as a Phx PD Officer. He was Ernesto's nephew. Rather ironic considering the decision was based on a Phx case.

F22trainer

doesn't surprise me a bit Ed... hey wait a minute - that makes you a part of history! :yesnod

Chad hit it on the nose. If you don't say "I wish to remain silent" then I'm continuing with the barrage of questions. Eventually you're going to respond cause I pissed you off or hit you in the face. I believe in this case the investigator just asked the perp if he had asked forgiveness and that hit a nerve.

If you say you want to remain silent then I'm stopping the questions right there.

The public has a very distorted view of the "Miranda warnings" and when they need to be given.

Just as a side note of interest, I helped train David Miranda as a Phx PD Officer. He was Ernesto's nephew. Rather ironic considering the decision was based on a Phx case.

Chad hit it on the nose. If you don't say "I wish to remain silent" then I'm continuing with the barrage of questions. Eventually you're going to respond cause I pissed you off or hit you in the face. I believe in this case the investigator just asked the perp if he had asked forgiveness and that hit a nerve.

If you say you want to remain silent then I'm stopping the questions right there.

The public has a very distorted view of the "Miranda warnings" and when they need to be given.

Just as a side note of interest, I helped train David Miranda as a Phx PD Officer. He was Ernesto's nephew. Rather ironic considering the decision was based on a Phx case.

Fixed.

Not me!! :lol

I beat John Flynn in court. . . . . .and stayed in a holiday inn express :eddie2: