NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Modern Car Data Systems Lack Security

theChad

Desertdawg

We need John's (corvettetech) opinion on this one...

Interesting hacking going on in the modern car systems...

Linky

...and that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's the possibility that if a module goes wacky, it could cause some serious issues. Toyota..? You Listening?

Desertdawg

No, it's more like - I can hack into your microwave oven, and no one really cares!

Yeah, pretty much parallel to injecting a computer virus, which is just bad code, into your car computer. But if there's any way to interface to it without having to have physical access (read on-star hack, wifi hack, any other wireless means of tapping into your cars computer IF those systems weren't already segregated), it could result in horror. But it also means, you might be able to do some interesting stuff to your systems to make it beneficial. :yesnod

Drew has the right idea on this one. And while he and I are prone to disagree on occasion, I could not agree with him more in this instance.

Do not give anyone access to your car whom you do not trust. I have been tuning cars since we used to reflash PROMs in Grand Nationals and had to write in GM proprietary code. Anyone can modify vehicle PCM memory to enhance performance or calibrate the powertrain and body systems for performance modifications, the software and hardware packages are readily available.

I think the odds of someone performing a satellite hack to access your car is about as possible as someone guessing your wireless WPA key, twice. You have better odds of winning the lottery.

It is a good "what-if" story, but the probablity is remote, as long as you care for your car like you would anything else you wish to keep secure.

Drew has the right idea on this one. And while he and I are prone to disagree on occasion, I could not agree with him more in this instance.

Do not give anyone access to your car whom you do not trust. I have been tuning cars since we used to reflash PROMs in Grand Nationals and had to write in GM proprietary code. Anyone can modify vehicle PCM memory to enhance performance or calibrate the powertrain and body systems for performance modifications, the software and hardware packages are readily available.

I think the odds of someone performing a satellite hack to access your car is about as possible as someone guessing your wireless WPA key, twice. You have better odds of winning the lottery.

It is a good "what-if" story, but the probability is remote, as long as you care for your car like you would anything else you wish to keep secure.

corvettech

yes its entirely possible to inherit a "virus" sort of in one particular controller, however unlike a virus or a worm on a computer it cant spread from module to module. the class2 data line is the only way to initalize a program modification via scanner/programer that is hard wired or pluged into the dlc/class 2 data line. wireless communications systems (onstar, blue tooth ect) can monitor systems and even control systems, but can not modify a program. so can a virus exist in a modern day vehicle? well not realy at least not on any gm vehicle currently out there. can a hack be performed to cause damage to a vehicle or its system? yes a bad line of code in an ebcm could cause your brakes to suddenly lock up as soon as you hit 60mph or dump enough fuel to hydro lock your engine. (i have yet to see a program that velicious or catastrophic system failure from a bad program). or it could be something as simple as a funny message that some punk has just pwned some newbs. in short i can only reiterate what was already stated, dont let someone work on your baby unless you trust them and dont be afraid to ask questions, if it sounds like the guy is feeding you bull or if he dosent make sense send me a pm and ill help.

Desertdawg

Thanks for the info John, it's good to have you on board with :ACE:

In relation to this very topic , did anyone read this last week ?

Man infects himself with a computer virus

In relation to this very topic , did anyone read this last week ?

Man infects himself with a computer virus