NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

headers and nicd tune

dwdrummer

Lg's streets and tune by nicD. Sounds a whole lot better. http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q371/st...NO5-21-2010.flv Sorry that it took so long but I havent been feeling very well lately. Thanks again to everyone that helped out. P.s. charlie, I sold your jack stands on fleabay....ha ha just kidding I gotta get these things back to you asap. Let me know when and where! Hows your hand?

Lg's streets and tune by nicD. Sounds a whole lot better. http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q371/st...NO5-21-2010.flv Sorry that it took so long but I havent been feeling very well lately. Thanks again to everyone that helped out. P.s. charlie, I sold your jack stands on fleabay....ha ha just kidding I gotta get these things back to you asap. Let me know when and where! Hows your hand?

Not bad at all. :thumbs Sounds great too. :clap Did the driveability change after the Nic tune??? I know mine was a whole lot different...in a GOOD way.

Desertdawg

Yeah, how did it drive after Nic got out of the drivers seat??? Sounded nice too! moved to General

Thanks everybody! It does sound a lot more AGGRESSIVE. As for the way the car drives....I had a C.O.W. tune in her before and the shifting seemed to be be set up too harshly according to nic. When nic retuned, it seemed to even out everything. I think that chucks tunes are set up for more torque in the early gears to make you feel like your getting more out of your tune! I'm satisfied with nics tune! I did think that I would get more than 318 to the wheel with cai, borlas, headers, and a tune! If I'm not mistaken (and I probably am) I though that my car had 350 h.p. "TO THE CRANK" stock? Now after everything is said and done I have 377 h.p. TO THE CRANK. Borla quad stingers= $900, lg's x pipe and cats NEW $1,000, vararam intake $ 300, and tune $ 300 = $2,500 for 22 more horses? I'm just curious? I'm NOT saying any of this because I'm unhappy with ANYTHING!!! Like I said......JUST CURIOUS. Thanks nicD!!! They were right, YOU DA MAN!!! Car drives and shifts the way it should. Anybody on the fence about a nicD tune........."DO IT" you wont regret it.

First I'd ask is where are you getting your 377 at the crank number from? I think the going number for an auto is 20% loss through the drive line which gives you 280 at the wheels or a 38hp gain for what you have now or 398 at the crank. Second I'd say 318 at the wheels is great with your mods. I got 323 from mine, but I have a couple more mods than you (LS6 intake and underdrive pulley). Also, what rear end is in your car (273 or 315)? I think that may make a difference as well. When I got my tune, my quarter mile times went down at least a half second (all mods had been run down the strip before) so I know I got a good boost from that Nic tune.

Desertdawg

Been there, done that. 98 with shorties, hi-flow cats, magnaflow muffs, ported TB, Hurricain CAI, LS6 intake, underdrive, 3.45 gears, NicD tune. I'll check tonight but I think I netted 329 to the rear wheels. Want some numbers then you need to look at installing a cam to let it breath. I uninstalled my 98 and installed an 08 instead...

318 to the wheels sounds about right, I put 325 to the wheels with mostly the same mods (I do have the LS6 intake and tb) without the 100 shot. :thumbs Congrats on the sweet sound!

Thanks for all the info guys. It sounds like i'm right where I need to be! Sean, I have 315's. DAWG.....installed an 08' Thats frickin funny!!!

All stock 97-00 were 345hp @ the motor. 01-04 base model motors were 350hp. I would also think that a 20% loss with the newer tranny's is high and that maybe 15% or lower. I think the calculated value of 7-8% on a new vette auto was right if the numbers were correct, but not sure. Mine is around 15% with an old 700r4 tranny when I did the math.

Guest Sidewinder

C.O.W. tunes are the worst. I have been in a few vettes with those tunes and thought the trans was gunna blow up. I don't know why ppl think Chuck from C.O.W. does good tunning. Sounds good

• 2 weeks later...

Saawwweeeet. Car sounds great Curt. COW has been deleted from mine for a while now. Like the NicD much better. I will be needing an update here shortly I think, maybe....

with a blackwing, lt headers, borlas, i got 342..thats without the ported tb, and without a tune. i guess the year does make a diff being an 02.

with a blackwing, lt headers, borlas, i got 342..thats without the ported tb, and without a tune. i guess the year does make a diff being an 02.

The dyno, air temp, and altitude (among others) make a difference too.

this is true. looking back i think it was alot cooler out. how much does the heat soak out of it? the bird just dyno'd at 341 rw in 90 degree heat..i wonder how much it'd pick up in 60 degree?