NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Did I buy a LEMON?

Vette for Thomas

Vette for Thomas

So this 87 I bought may not be so good. Its been sitting for a week because the coolant resivior boiled over when I got it home from the purchase . 2 mobile mechanics flaked on me and I still havent had it looked at. I went out there today and looked under it and now there is a very large oil puddle under it. I cant really tell where its coming from but it looks like it may be from somewhere on the front lower part of the engine. I may have to get a tow truck to pick it up and take it to a shop. Does any one have a clue what might be leaking or where I should look? I thought it may be the head gasket but this doesnt look like its coming from the heads. As far as how it runs well when i drove it home it was ok with a steady idle. When I would push full throttle it would kinda stall and then accell. Now when I start it cranks but wont stay running and when you give it gas it cuts out. What to do............

Yikes! C4s are notorious for overheating, bad hunch you have a warped head and/or blown head gasket. Hopefully Micheal (F22Trainer) will chime in, I think he's had about every issue you could dream of with his. You might want to shoot him a PM

Bromley's Corvettes

C-4s like to run hot could just be the thermostate sticking or the fan going bad or the radiator needs to be flushed or replaced or all of the above. Oil leak could be pan or front seal or fuel pump block off plate gasket and rear seal lots of places oil can leak from. The M.A.F and T.P.S will let it start but die on you like that. Is your service engine light on I would scan it and see what comes up.

If you're taking it to a shop, Doug's been a great help to other members here. I'm sure he can give you a good idea what the problems are.

Guest 1FASTC4

If it's a lower middle leak, which it probably is, it's timing chain cover/ crank seal. It's really not a huge fix. Fortunately you can drop a c4 oil pan with the motor in place. From Gilbert, there's a handful of shops that can help you, including Bromley's. No need for a tow. Check the oil, unless it's dry or near dry, I can't see why you can't limp over to a shop... save yourself a little $$$ . Well, you've got the best case and worse case here... good luck.

Vette for Thomas

C-4s like to run hot could just be the thermostate sticking or the fan going bad or the radiator needs to be flushed or replaced or all of the above. Oil leak could be pan or front seal or fuel pump block off plate gasket and rear seal lots of places oil can leak from. The M.A.F and T.P.S will let it start but die on you like that. Is your service engine light on I would scan it and see what comes up.

Guest 1FASTC4

Just lifted her up and found the leak. Its the main power steering hose. And yes my engine light is on and I also noticed that one of my vacum hoses that run from throttle body area to the front bunmper is cut. I am going to call the shop down the street and have them come pick it up this week.

Vette for Thomas

ITS FIXED ITS FIXED!!!! So there was a vaccum hose that runs from the throttle body to the front drivers side bumper and it was cut in half. So I used some performance duct tape and sealed the tube back to gether. Also during this found some random plug that some how became disconected. BAM fixed. No more engine light or power stutter. Now if I can just figure out why my rear runner lights work but my brake lights dont I can drive this thing. I was like a little kid in a candy shop when I took it for a spin. This thing flys (Compared to how it ran before.)

Good news so far. I'm sure someone here can help you with the azz end lights.

Vette for Thomas

Any one know what theses vaccum lines our called? Sounds stupid but I cant find a replacement online. I must not be looking in the right place.

Any one know what theses vaccum lines our called? Sounds stupid but I cant find a replacement online. I must not be looking in the right place.

Corvette America has pretty detailed and specific parts, their online catalog isn't as good as the hard copy. Go to their website and request a catalog if you can't find anything in their online selections.

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/

Guest 1FASTC4

There's cruise control up there near front driver's side bumper. Evap canister. I'm not aware of any of the vacuum lines being car specific,.. just run of the mill lines you can buy at autozone