NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Wheel riddle

Patrick

Okay getting back from Iraq in a month. Looking to tackle my traction problem (or the lack of it) behind my procharged demon. Here's what I want to do, mini tub and run 20x12s with 345s. Here's the riddle, what offset do I need to get to make sure the 20x12s are tucked under the car?

Okay getting back from Iraq in a month. Looking to tackle my traction problem (or the lack of it) behind my procharged demon. Here's what I want to do, mini tub and run 20x12s with 345s. Here's the riddle, what offset do I need to get to make sure the 20x12s are tucked under the car?

BP-Thanks for the input. Yeah I really like how 20s look. I don't care if it slows down, more power is in the future. There are a couple different wheels I'm looking at they run from $5k to $6k so I know what I'm in for their. I got you on the R compounds but it's as much about looks too for me. I haven't looked too much into tires yet. Was going to cross that bridge when I got to it. If they make Rs in 20s may go with those too. FN-I like the way Mike's looks for Mike and they are mean looking. I'm not big on the flares, I really like the clean look of the wheels and tires being tucked. Thanks for the heads up on tires. I had briefly glanced at tire and really liked the Nitto INVOs didn't look at the NT05s but I'll keep checking on sizes they come out with.

I have NT05's on my car and love them. They are a more aggressive tire than the Invo, are relatively cheap and are available in many sizes. The NT05R that Victor mentioned is a drag radial, in an "R" compound.

Yeah I over looked the "R". As for the NT05 they come in 315 for 20s, with those I can run an 11 inch rim and no tub. Just looked same size with the Rs. Your point above is making since. Now I'm wondering if the inch wider wheels and 30mm wider tires and mini tub are really worth it. I normally take off in 2nd in my car now because I breathe on the gas and I'm lighting up tires. I even put to concrete blocks in my little cubby hole in the back, helped a little. I don't plan on a lot of drag if at all, maybe some track time. Most of the time when I run into someone on the street we are already at speed so it usually sticks okay then.

The NT05R that Victor mentioned is a drag radial, in an "R" compound.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's C5 has a minitub and you're looking at a custom CCW or up to HREs like we have on her car to get it to fit correctly. My old C5 had the flared fenders for the same effect but both cars are on 19s as the options in 20" tire sizes are very limited. My C6 has 20" Modular Concepts but I use a real tire on an 18" rim when I need traction. The 345s in a 20" can be spun at 100mph in 3rd for me on low boost just as a comparison. I wouldn't want you thinking any non R street tire will be able to handle all your power.

for more traction I would go R compound .... and I would also look at putting more sidewall on the tire... Less sidewall = less flex = less traction.

I ordered a set of ACE ZR1 reproductions 18x9.5 and 19x11. Got them as a place holder really (only $950) till I decide what I want to do for everyday driving traction and go fast traction. They allow for bigger brakes which is on my to do list. Drew funny you bring up the HRE's I was looking at those a few days ago. I saw the CF40s which I am in love with. They also had some others in the 790s that I really liked. I guess where I'm at now is how much of a difference is there between a 315-325 "R" tire and a 345 "R" tire? If the 345 isn't going to provide much more traction then I may stick with an 11" wheel.

Stick with the 11" wheel. Spend the money elsewhere to far greater benefit.