NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

2016 mid engine 'vette

F22trainer

They have been talking on it forever, but I just don't see Corvette going mid-engine. I'd be happy to see it, but I think enough purists would balk at it that they would just build the car under a different name. I don't think Corvair is taken, but I'm not sure they could sell anything with that name...

roostertail

Hadn't seen that before. I don't get it though. Why would they be concerned about fuel economy in their Flagship sports car model? I'm sure Ferrari or Lambo are concerned :rolleyes Nick

Zora wanted a mid-engine for years. Thus all those wacky prototypes and show cars like the 4 rotor and 2 rotor, CERV's, etc.... :bang

Hadn't seen that before.

I don't get it though. Why would they be concerned about fuel economy in their Flagship sports car model? I'm sure Ferrari or Lambo are concerned :rolleyes

Nick

Norse Pagan

I DO SEE gm putting a v6 in it tho. While the HP wil be in the same ballpart, im afraid the TQ 'grunt' (what most of us like) will be gone.

Hmmm a v6, twin turbos, and AWD......

Need a mid engine fix ?

Here's your 69 Corvair with LS power :lol1969 Corvair LS1

Ewww... Is it me, or does the front look like a shark emerging from a vagina? :smilelol

I am always up for change and this could be good for GM as well. However, I see absolutely no reason good enough to go from a V8 to a V6 period.

They will go to a V6 because of the new 34.1 mpg EPA average fuel economy standards. When does that go into effect? You guessed it 2016! A V6 would kill the Vette unless they have some other WOW factor like mid engine. There will be enough excitement around the "first mid engine" Vette that it will sell despite the V6. You and I both know there will be a waiting list of idiots at the dealer willing to pay $5k over window to have the first one on their block.

Desertdawg

I'm an idiot, but I won't be standing in line to get one. now where did my 82 go???

Looks like poop...just sayin, I;m sure they will tweak the looks some what if they go forward with this.

How many people were paying well over window for the first..... 97 C5 Z06 2005 C6 C6 Z06 ZR1 Barnum said there's a fool born every minute and guarantee GM will have them lined up for the first mid engine, V6 or not.

The Vette would have come full circle....remember, this whole party started with the 235 "blue flame" straight six. Maybe you could special order a 2016 Blue Flame Special Edition 3.8 liter with a two speed powerglide/transaxle :lol

I get a lot of auto magazines and this is discussed a lot. the bottom line after all the articles is that GM will stay with the v-8 which is their bread and butter.

Here's somethin tho. For years, chevy has been ramping it up with the corvette. Look at how incredible the c6 zo6 did. Out of the barn you can beat a lamborghini. Kind of a shocker to most of the world. Something serious from chevy at a fraction of the cost. But at $80,000, double of what a c5 zo6 had gone for before. All the technology that went into the c6z06 is incredible. How could they top it? How could they compete even more on a global scale?? The answer: ZR1. A true supercar. All the carbon fiber, all the suspension work, all the technology that went into that car. Price tag? $120,000 easily. Then they announced they have a problem. That young people dont want to buy corvettes. And they're surprised? So here they are, at the fork in the road. They either scale the corvette back, and keep it affordable to the blue collar worker, or they go balls out and go for the gold. well, chevy repaid it's debt. ( most of it), so it makes sense. I read somewhere that you can look to the future of the corvette in the racing series. They're working on a 5.5 liter motor right now, which id be willing to bet will show up in the c7. If I had to guess, this is what chevy will do. I'd see this as a possible model lineup- economic corvette- with a tt v6 corvette ss- corvette with the v8 motor corvette z06- naturally nigher powered v8 motor zr1- supercharged v8 I could be wrong, I hope I am (about the v6). The corvette's always been about front engine rear wheel drive. You take that away from it, and what do you have? more rather, what do you NOT have?

Mid engine or not, going V6 is not the way no matter how you look at it. They will never sound and feel like V8 power plain and simple. If there is options such as going up from a V6 to a V8 there is no question in my mind that most all of us would go for the 8 and the 6 would be history or a flop. I dont care if it has the same horspower, look at all of the Euro cars of today, if they want real muscle what do they put in its place a V8 not a V6. Going down in Cubic inches is fine to a degree but taking two cylinders away is pointless. I feel if they try to keep lowering the price of Corvette's it introduces to many other variables. To me a Corvette should be expensive to a degree, small numbers on the road. Thats why a lot of us have discussions about the Mustang being so ordinary with there 30 something options or levels of the car. Way to many of them out on the road, this is not a civic this is the Corvette keep with tradition and appeal to the loyalty of the Best Sports Car ever not to the masses. This of course is just my thoughts but a Corvette is an icon not a malibu lets keep it that way.

I like it... but I dont think they will make it... 1. They wont be able to compete in GT1 racing (unless the V6 it true)... But if its a V8 they will be bumped back to GT2 and we saw what happened to them last year... **Aston Martin 2. The car wont be a GT car anymore, it will be officially elevated to super car status... with a super car price tag. 3. The car already has 50/50 weight distribution now...

Loud Pedal

Mid engine or not, going V6 is not the way no matter how you look at it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....... Audi showed us the way in their P1 cars........ Turbo Diesel! GM can maintain the V8 for the purists & get the fuel economy required by the law. Purists get the torque monsters they're used to..... with upgradability for the those that have to mod their cars. WIN/WIN

corvettech

the gtr went with a v6 and awd and id say it does pretty good for how heavy and big it is. still a v8 will always have more starting off the line, launching your wheels off the ground, throw you in the back of the seat frame power. there is always an option to make a v8 with displacement on demand like the 5.3l. im sure with enough tweaks to the ls series engines thats entirely possible, fuel consumption would drop drasticaly ( if the driver so chooses) and still have that rocket ship power ( if the driver so chooses). :burnout2

I would also imagine any new motor program, V6 or V8, would incorporate the new VVT stuff I just read about in Hot Rod, Mast even allows you to retrofit it to any LS motor if you've got the bucks.

How about a supercharged and intercooled 5.5 V8 with VVT for 2016? :burnout2