NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C2 Starter Problem! HELP!

Robg

Hoping someone on here could help me out with a problem on my '64. My starter recently took a dump on my 350 small block so I changed it out for a Proform High Torque starter. I got it switched out with no problems, started up great. I then let it sit for a couple of weeks due to a lack of time. When I was able to get back to it I was able to start it up again no problem, so I moved onto changing out the points for the Pertronix electric ignition with the flame thrower coil, started up great and ran with no problems. I again got caught up with "life" and wasn't able to go for a ride until last night. I went to turn over the engine and since it had sat for a couple weeks it was slow to turn over but all seemed normal until the third crank of the key. On the third crank I could tell my battery was draining out so I turned the key off and the best I can tell something in the starter continued to "spin". The starter was not engaging the fly wheel and it just sounded like the motor was running in the starter, seemed to have power running to the starter with the key off, I disconnected the battery and it stopped. I recharged the battery and touched the battery cable to the terminal and the starter will begin to "spin" but again does not engage the fly wheel Not sure if I am using all of the proper lingo but could really use some insight on to what is causing this. Is it something from the wiring on the electric ignition that is causing the starter to be getting the juice or is it the wiring in the starter that is shorting out? Didn't get any smoke or smell from the starter so I am hoping I didn't fry it. If it is a wiring issue I would like to try that fix before pulling the starter out again. I've been working one project at a time so I can isolate problems and fix them as they come but being that all was working after each of these projects now I'm not sure which is causing the issue. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh and the advice to find a qualified shop has already been given, ha ha. Thanks!

Bad solenoid on the starter. It's been awhile but I believe on the older GM starters the solenoid can be removed from the body of the starter and replaced. That or see if a rebuilt starter is available with a new/rebuilt solenoid already attached.

was the starter new or rebuilt .???? new is always better .. some rebuilders aren't the best ... and new ones are not that much more .... move to a Power Master ..... at least that's my :2cents

Desertdawg

I say solenoid too, you should have a warranty from the place you got the starter from. To bad it doesn't cover your labor though.

Thanks for everyone's responses. It is a brand new Starter. I will pull it off and take it in to get checked. UGGGGGGGH! Not what I was looking to hear, have a feeling I need to get use to that.

Do you have headers on it? Seems a little premature to think it was heat related failure not knowing how much you ran it after putting on the new starter. It probably just a bad one out of the box, it happens on occasion

Guest Sidewinder

While it is spinning tap on it with a hammer. If it stops at least you know it's the starter and not your ignition or key cylinder.