NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Just when you thought you were safe...

Buccaneer

It's one of the things I teach in my Identity Theft 101 class. I know my employer sends them to a vendor who insures the HD is wiped clean.

uh this story again.....

imagine out of 500+ machines the reporter happens to get a machine that was at a heath insurace company, and a police station.

Yea right.

the story would not sound as scarry if all they got was flyers for some kids rock band, and a zerox of my butt.

facts:

A LOT of compaines are going paperless. Email and inhouse websites are the future.

Only the full size machines have HDs, and guess what. that data sector gets ovewritten Alot.

very soon we will be seeing SSD drives (solid state drives= no movingparts only RAM) on these machines. Cannot recover data from a SSD drive.

typical news, stack the deck in your favor to make the story more intense than it really is.

typical news, stack the deck in your favor to make the story more intense than it really is.

the story would not sound as scarry if all they got was flyers for some kids rock band, and a zerox of my butt.

Yes that may be true Chad but fthe facts remain that there are how many of these copiers out floating around with people gaining information like this. Now there has been a story on it where the real dumb criminals that are not good at hiding things are going to get to it nice work news.

Yes that may be true Chad but fthe facts remain that there are how many of these copiers out floating around with people gaining information like this. Now there has been a story on it where the real dumb criminals that are not good at hiding things are going to get to it nice work news.

ok kids reality check let say for arguments sake One in Ten machines has private intel on it (more likely one in fifty). at $500 a pop it gets pricy buying thoes machines. plus you have to have computer savy to dissambele, connect a hard drive, perform a low level scan with semi easy to find software, and recover data. then you have to scann through over 2000+ documents (granted taking into effect that the data recovery of each file was complete and not corrupted) then you find PAY DIRT! ..yea what did you find? my SSN?, police record?, perhaps a Credit card statment? Medical records? Listen Do i guard that information? YES I want to make sure to stem the tide of my private info into teh wild. However, EACH one of that above information is available through other means at a much cheaper cost and easier means. Plus when you add that the copier takes time for it to process through the client to the local vendor, to the Wholesailer and to the bad guys. That Intel may already be dated. Do you really care of some one knows your divorce documents 2 years after she is already kicked the curb? While this story is spookey and many did not know it, deep down we all know it has little to no impact on out lives or else there would be a public uproar. .. unlike the story of Discover card loosing X million of CC numbers to a pissed off employee. chad

Norse Pagan

very soon we will be seeing SSD drives (solid state drives= no movingparts only RAM) on these machines.