NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Turning Brake Rotors

Phill's Vette

Buccaneer

Do C3s have rotors? I guess not since they don't go that fast huh. :P

Quicksilver98

Bahhhhhhh....Its BS! by the time you go 50-100 miles and use the brakes a few dozen times it all equals out. The grooves smooth out and the bi-directional hash marks in the oem are gone also. The trick is not to get them too thin and week. Any reputable brake shop would measure them before even attempting to turn them down. Its a mute point for those of us that have drilles/slotted/dimpled rotors. They wont even turn those one's from what I have read and heard.

Bahhhhhhh....Its BS! by the time you go 50-100 miles and use the brakes a few dozen times it all equals out. The grooves smooth out and the bi-directional hash marks in the oem are gone also. The trick is not to get them too thin and week. Any reputable brake shop would measure them before even attempting to turn them down. Its a mute point for those of us that have drilles/slotted/dimpled rotors. They wont even turn those one's from what I have read and heard.

F22trainer

OEM rotors are ground, not machined with a cutting tool.

Several places will turn drilled rotors in the valley. You just need to make sure the lathe operator has the experience to do it. Part of the secret is to turn at a slow speed, use the minimum feed rate, a cutting tool with a radiused point, and make multiple small passes instead of one big one.

Greg at the Checker/O'reilly store on 59th Ave north of the 101 turned drilled for me at $15 each. He's one of just a very few at all of the valley Checker stores who is authorized to do them.

There is a BIG difference between "directional" and "non directional". Excellent post.