NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Garage Door Spring

Grape Ape

Grape Ape

Anyone out there work on garage doors? I just had a spring break and the cars are stuck in there now. Can I loosen the other spring to get the door to open? I know it will be heavy but will that work? Need a couple new springs asap if anyone can help.

Phill's Vette

Here is a few info links:

Link

Link2

Link3

I would think you could muscle the door open without the springs?? Make sure nothing falls on the cars...

I've never done springs before, but would be willing to help - I'm available this Friday evening after 4ish and most all of Saturday....I am a few miles away from you so let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Grape Ape

Thanks for the links. I was actually reading the first one you posted. I have someone coming over this evening to get it repaired. From what I read it is really hard to get the springs. I would have to order them from a site and wait for the mail. So I called in the repair man. I have adjusted them before but never replaced.

Buccaneer

I've had my double car door spring break and had it replaced and right after that the third car door spring broke...Damnit! I can try and find the info on people we used which were very nice and the price was right around $100 for the big door. Don't try and replace it yourself, those springs are dangerous, lots of tension. When the other spring broke just sitting there it sounded like a 38 cal going off. I don;t have the name of the company, but they were from AJ and here's the number. 480-821-1111

Like Tom I had one break and it sounded like a gun shot. I've always heard don't mess with the springs unless you know exactly what you're doing. I used Shea Garage Door but don't have their number. They're up in the NE part of the Valley though.

Torsion spring on a garage door can break your arm if you don't know what you're doing. Best to leave it to someone with experience.

Torsion spring on a garage door can break your arm if you don't know what you're doing. Best to leave it to someone with experience.

But, can they rape a Z?

Buccaneer

But, can they rape a Z?

Blk n Blu

Had the same problem one time, I found out that a garage door company can't sell springs over the counter for liabllity reasons. Some doors also have 2 springs, not worth losing an arm for about $100.00. :2cents

FNBADAZ06

But, can they rape a Z?

Grape Ape

I have rapped a Z before........no wait, I think it was a coupe. Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I called A Always Open Garage Door and they are coming this evening between 4 & 7. They had a 5 star rating on Dex Yellow Pages on line. They are here in Mesa as well and one of them is named Mark. So they should be cool to deal with. It is the double door that broke as that is the one that gets used the most. Going on 11 years so I got good use from it. My Vette can't get out. Bummer. Hope he's careful around it. I will be there to watch for sure.

I will tinker on just about anything, however this is not one of those jobs. I have been on two calls in the Dept from spring adjustments gone wrong. Spring 2 Owner adjusting 0, both people ended up DOA. Not worth it, those springs have so much tention, one wrong move and it can take your life, limb, or an eye. Leave it to the pro's. The same thing happened to my single car that KIT lives in about 6 months ago. Hour and a half later fixed and moved on.

The inlaws place had a new door installed. About a month later the spring broke. They said it sounded like someone crashed into the house. Broke a bunch of crap and even put a helluva dent in one of their cars. Scary stuff for sure.

Grape Ape

Door is fixed and ready for another 10 or so years. Kid was really professional and clean. Did a great job. Even took the plastic bearing out of the center support and put a metal one in. Made the thing very quiet and smooth. Very happy with this company. They are even from Nebraska. Lived in the Norfolk area. Small world.

dwdrummer

Dang Mark, you sure that you guys weren't related? Glad to hear that you got it fixed SAFELY. I've also heard nightmare stories about springs! P.S. got anytime off for header install? Been talking with BIGFOOT99 and trying to set up some time to get this done. Should be fun!!! Sorry for post hijack. Does grape have headers? I cant remember.

Grape Ape

Ya we could be related. I have family in that area. Last name was Soglio. Definitely not Swedish so I doubt it. Let me know what day you are doing the header install. Bigfoot is a good resource for that. Grape does have headers but they are the shorty version. Some people wouldn't consider them headers but they look cool. I have Wednesday - Friday's off and I can show up Saturday mornings til around noonish. Then after that it would be nappy time. Sucks getting old. Next Thursday I will be busy but the other days I can do. Wednesday's I usually stay up all day anyway and If I don't stay busy I fall asleep from lack of. Saturdays would probably be better as you would have more help. Might need it. Am I rattling on? Can you tell I've been up all day? This thing just got major jacked didn't it? Back on subject. Door works great and only cost....................drum roll.........................$204.

dwdrummer

New door springs-$204 Not ripping your arm off and getting a huge dent in grape ape- PRICELESS!!! I'm shooting for saturday morning but, still waiting to find out if sean can make it or not.

Grape Ape

Someone's been doing some photochopping. Sig pic looks pretty cool. Saturday works for me. I will keep a watch out for it.

dwdrummer

Thanks but it was a little too big for me had to change size.... I hope that this goes down on sat! I told sean that it would be nice if we could possibly schedule this to include you! He has the same headers that I got from tim in his ride. I;ll let you know. Later

Funny, I was having a beer with a friend this afternoon who showed me a huge scar from a garage spring he tried to fix

The inlaws place had a new door installed. About a month later the spring broke. They said it sounded like someone crashed into the house.

Broke a bunch of crap and even put a helluva dent in one of their cars.

Scary stuff for sure.

The inlaws place had a new door installed. About a month later the spring broke. They said it sounded like someone crashed into the house.

Broke a bunch of crap and even put a helluva dent in one of their cars.

Scary stuff for sure.

I HEARD THE SHOCK WAVE CAN KNOCK OUT A NEAR BY HOT WATER HEATER

BLAMO!