NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Just a little bit more blue

Blk n Blu

Blk n Blu

I know there has been a lot of talk around here about painting recessed letters lately, hope this helps some folks out.

First thing is to make sure that the area you are going to paint is free of dirt and wax. Wipe down with a wax remover or alcohol.

A little masking.

Posted Image

Now spray, there are three coats here, read the label on the can for dry times between coats.

Posted Image

Here's the hard part, LET THE PAINT DRY!

Remove the masking paper.

Next take a automotive sanding block.

Posted Image

Use a cotton cloth (lint free) place your choice of solvent LIGHTLY onto cloth then wrap the sanding block with the cloth with out wrinkles and keeping it tight.

Posted Image

Notice the amount of solvent on the pad.

Posted Image

Just remember chrome is good for nuts. :lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very cool... So you sprayed right over the factory paint, then used solvent to remove the excess?.... Looks awesome!

anmracing2

Did you use some type of acetone, mineral spirits or something? That is an awesome job! Good write up too. Thanks for the infor. Andrew

Blk n Blu

Did you use some type of acetone, mineral spirits or something? That is an awesome job! Good write up too. Thanks for the infor.

Andrew

Desertdawg

Saw it in person yesterday and it glows, really nice work Charlie. I'm jealous because I was going to do mine in black so it won't have that color coordinated look like yours!!!

Blk n Blu

Saw it in person yesterday and it glows, really nice work Charlie.

I'm jealous because I was going to do mine in black so it won't have that color coordinated look like yours!!!

I know there has been a lot of talk around here about painting recessed letters lately, hope this helps some folks out.

First thing is to make sure that the area you are going to paint is free of dirt and wax. Wipe down with a wax remover or alcohol.

A little masking.

Posted Image

Now spray, there are three coats here, read the label on the can for dry times between coats.

Posted Image

Here's the hard part, LET THE PAINT DRY!

Remove the masking paper.

Next take a automotive sanding block.

Posted Image

Use a cotton cloth (lint free) place your choice of solvent LIGHTLY onto cloth then wrap the sanding block with the cloth with out wrinkles and keeping it tight.

Posted Image

Notice the amount of solvent on the pad.

Posted Image

Just remember chrome is good for nuts. :lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Blk n Blu

Very Impresive Charlie, I do have a couple of questions for you! What type of paint did you use, was it an approved automotive paint or an over the counter store brand such as Lowes and Home Deopt? Duplicolor chrome & metalic blue. It looks like you used silver and then Blue, do you feel using a primer is not needed? If you primer you would pretty much make it permanent, you never know if you want to change something. I see that you did not use a clear coat on top, wouldn't the paint hold up a lot better for detail reasons and flow from bumper to letters? The metalic blue is pretty durable, I need a 2nd coat in a couple weeks. Is there an automotive paint that I can use through a airbrush kit? I'm sure there is, I've used Painters supply on Bell & 28th St. I would really like to do the same to my back bumper as well as my Valve covers.

Thanks Charlie, Actually the Valve covers were painted when the car was painted. So we have a green light, but first things first. On to detailing TOMS car.

Blk n Blu

I know you have just painted your covers. You need to let the paint & clear coat dry at least 6 more weeks be for you do any thing to them. The covers sould have a full coat of clear over the entire cover.