NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

HID Help

Bigfoot

Picked up the HID's from Dawg today. Put them in turned on and NADA. Neither side works. Buckets come up, parking lights and tail lights come on, no headlights. Put the old lights back in and everything works fine. I would say it was a ballast if only one side was not working, but since both are out I'm not sure. There are 2 connectors that go unused so I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone ever put these in themselves and know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks

DeviledVette

Back like 5 years ago, I installed HID's in the GTO. I remember having this problem after the initial install. I went back and checked all of the connections and I think the problem was due some of the plugs not snapping in all the way. they worked after I checked all the plugs and connections to make sure they were connected right.

FNBADAZ06

Most add on HID require a seperate 12V power source to energize the ignition ballast. If you are trying to light them off with the power that are used for the regular halogen lights, they are probably not strong enough. Also make sure you have the ballast properly grounded. Mike AZZ061 had the same problem...check with him on how he wired them in.

ok HID are awesome but sensitive litle bitches.

rule number one. the metal ballast CANNOT TOUCH ANY METAL. It it does, they gound out and die.

Rule number two: do not touch the buld with your fingers. the oil will burn on the glass and have a risk of shattering the casing during the extereme high temps.

Rule three: they need a minium of 12v or more. 11.89v aint gonna cut it.

on the c 5 there are 2 snags.

the hidlight wiring is not ideal and you may only be getting 11.999995 volts.

next snag, is the bucket will not rise unless the computer decetecs teh resistance of a incondesant light bulb (hense the resistor). However that resistor may be knocking down the volts enough not to fire the ballast unit.

I have uploaded a word doc from a c3 HID install I did a looong time ago..

most of it is not relevant but, there is a realy diagram to use juice direct from the battery.

I hopes this helps t shoot your setup.

cahd

/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=8018">Hello_all.doc

Hello_all.doc

I installed HIDs on the boat, the stock wiring did not carry the necessary voltage

Big Poppa

Try reversing the plug where the ballast plugs into the car. Right where the car's wiring used to plug into a bulb. Japanese systems are wired different than American. The plug is backwards. I've done these on a few Vettes, that's always the problem.

I was thinking about that, but didn't want to screw anything up Poppa. I did read something about that when looking stuff up and finding info on other brands. Thanks BP. :thumbs

Ok BP, turing the connectors 180* did the trick. :thumbs That was hard for me to do...all those years working with aircraft connectors...putting connectors in backwards of the way they were desiged. :banghead:lol Now, if I can get the directions from the company on how the resistor is supposed to be installed to let the buckets go down on their own with out swiching to high beams. I'll post up a before and after pics when I'm all done.

Desertdawg

You don't know how happy I am to hear they work, I spent your money at the fish store on the way home yesterday... :lol

You don't know how happy I am to hear they work, I spent your money at the fish store on the way home yesterday... :lol

That is great to see you are making progress on the HID's. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Ok, got it all figured out.

Before with flash...

Posted Image

Before without flash...

Posted Image

After without flash...

Posted Image

Better light or not, these things look badass...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Went to do the fogs and found this...look at the black wire at the connector...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Desertdawg

Holy Crap, I think feel like I sold you a bag of crap Sean, I never saw that connector. And I didn't buy them from JWMotoring, I bought them from an ACE member in Tucson that was selling his C5 and parts he never installed, he bought them from JWM.... Once again, let me know if this can't be fixed for free, I'll cover the repair for you!

Grape Ape

Take it to LPM. They are good at fixing wire broken at the connectors. Don't ask how I know. :blink Lights look great by the way. Might have to do this but I don't normally drive much at night.

That's what happens with this Japanese crap some times Dawg. I'm not mad at you dude. :thumbs You can tell the wire was never crimped in the connector, just jammed in there at some point. I'll let you know what he says in the PM. I know I can fix this if necessary, I just don't want to have to bust open the weather pack connector if I don't need to.

not to be a negative nancy... the US standard beam pattern is rather high, and you are going to get oncomming cars flashing you. How much? How often? Enough to get a ticket? who is to say.. the EU lamp assembly has a better or more defined beam pattern. they look more like this ___/ ___/ than the us curved 'sun setting' pattern. the catch is the EU is a h4 single bulb. Just be mindfull when aiming your lights. cheers chad

Big Poppa

not to be a negative nancy...

the US standard beam pattern is rather high, and you are going to get oncomming cars flashing you. How much? How often? Enough to get a ticket? who is to say..

the EU lamp assembly has a better or more defined beam pattern.

they look more like this ___/ ___/ than the us curved 'sun setting' pattern.

the catch is the EU is a h4 single bulb.

Just be mindfull when aiming your lights.

cheers

chad