Avoid a possible denied warranty claim...

1EVLC7

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used. When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy that prevents any UNAUTHORIZED dealer warranty claim submissions to any remaining warranty coverage, to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed. Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different from those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life. Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties. This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated. The PQC has a process to confirm the ECM/PCM calibration is GM issued. The PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in this bulletin, before authorizing any V8 gas powered engine replacement. If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be blocked and notated in GMVIS and the dealership will be notified. This block prevents any UNAUTHORIZED warranty claim submission.

Interesting "boiler plate". Thank you for sharing. Personally, I don't blame any manufacturer for doing this. But there are some areas that I for one would like to have clarified by someone like yourself who is directly involved with adminstration of a car manufactuer's warantee . Does an installed CAGS bypass switch, which defeats an aspect of the emmisions control system, get an owner an entry in the "GM Black Book'? And for that matter, what about a "mild2wild" switch which only controls the passage of exhaust, not the quantity, which is never affected by its operation. In your world, and that of the manufacturer, is there such a thing as "excessive or abusive vehicle operation(s)" that can and will void a factory warantee? We all know they can down load the car's computer, but what exactly is contained in that data? Again, just trying to understand what lies ahead when one is considering either modifying or driving their car to their enjoyment. Thanks in advance-

I think the best way to answer your post is.... It all depends on the tech that is diagnosing the vehicle and the service mgr. that is involved with the vehicle. One Dlr may throw up a bunch of red flags and another may say nothing.

My opinion on the man switch and CAGS...No, they would not be a concern!

You asked "In your world, and that of the manufacturer, is there such a thing as "excessive or abusive vehicle operation(s)" that can and will void a factory warantee?

I say Yes!!! On Christmas eve we sold a standard shift CTS (non V) to a Gentleman that bought it for his 16yr old son.

It came in on a hook on Jan 2nd with 396 miles and blown out clutch. The vehicle was tore apart per GM and no defects where found. We repaired the vehicle as a one time "goodwill" for the customer. Now we found out today as a matter of fact, that the same vehicle has been towed to another local dealer for the same exact concern. What the evidence is showing ie: pictures and computer data, is that kid is downshifting at very high RPM's. This time the repair will be customer pay! Would you call this abuse to the vehicle? Should GM pay for the repairs? Should the owner learn how to drive a standard shift?

I agree totally in that particular situation of the idiot kid and parent (fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, huh)even being allowed behind the wheel, let alone own a car. It has always been my understanding that the clutch and brakes are not covered in any case, so I'd say you guys went OVER the top in doing these bone heads a favor. And I'm glad you qualified your response to the CAGS override, and M2W exhaust switch with "in my opinion". It'd be my luck to do the CAGS mod and have the service tech I run into be the hero of the week with his boss with makin' another entry in the "GM Black Book" and being able to VOID another GMPP that was just purchased. I just hold it in 1st longer, thankyouverymuch. :) I guess what I'm trying to say is, Corvettes, and in particular the Z's, are marketed as being designed for the rigors of agressive driving, ie hi RPM launches, performance suspension, etc. So theoretically, if someone goes to a drag strip where the car's drive train, transmission and all get the biggest beating, would that be cause for concern when that owner brings their car to the dealership because a universal joint having failed while the car is under warrantee? Thanks in advance-

A car manufacturer guarantees to repair certain problems during the warranty period, but some circumstances or situation can void a warranty. Car buyers should carefully read a warranty and follow any guidelines.

Each car warranty carries different conditions and requirements. Typical actions or events that void a warranty are neglect or reckless use of the car, such as drag racing and totaled cars.

Just because a manufacturer denies a claim does not mean the warranty becomes void. Some repairs may simply not fall under the conditions of the agreement, requiring the owner to pay for this maintenance, but the warranty remains active.

Misconceptions, Using third-party, or "aftermarket" parts does not automatically nullify a car warranty. The dealer must prove that an aftermarket part specifically caused damage in order to deny a claim.

While the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers from unreasonable demands in a warranty agreement, this does not give a person free reign to modify their car and still retain warranty coverage. Modifying on-board diagnostics, for example, makes it very difficult for a serviceman to diagnose a problem, voiding the warranty.

Tips, Good food for thought!

Always use the proper chemicals to maintain a car. If someone pours sugar in a gas tank, this voids a warranty, but so does using the wrong gas type. Consumers should also take their cars in for frequent maintenance, and keep any receipts and records.- saving receipts has bailed me out many times.

"Typical actions or events that void a warranty are neglect or reckless use of the car, such as drag racing and totaled cars."

and

"Misconceptions, Using third-party, or "aftermarket" parts does not automatically nullify a car warranty. The dealer must prove that an aftermarket part specifically caused damage in order to deny a claim."

I guess this about sez it all.

And yes, it was already understood that a denial of a warantee claim did NOT mean that the warantee is voided. I'm just trying to sort through some of the urban myth and legend by seeking people who are actually involved with these matters, like yourself, and getting the facts.

There's been a feeling that I've observed that although GM markets "vettes as being the only true American sports car, it seems that ya just better not get caught driving it that way if you're still under warantee.

I know a guy who bought a ZR1 and he had never driven a manual transmission. The clutch went out in the first 1500 mi. I personally don't think GM owed him a clutch.

Thanks for the advice Ed and a soft subject I am sure for many here on the forum. No motor mods for me until all of my warranties are done and gone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Corvettes, and in particular the Z's, are marketed as being designed for the rigors of agressive driving, ie hi RPM launches, performance suspension, etc. So theoretically, if someone goes to a drag strip where the car's drive train, transmission and all get the biggest beating, would that be cause for concern when that owner brings their car to the dealership because a universal joint having failed while the car is under warrantee?

Thanks in advance-

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Corvettes, and in particular the Z's, are marketed as being designed for the rigors of agressive driving, ie hi RPM launches, performance suspension, etc. So theoretically, if someone goes to a drag strip where the car's drive train, transmission and all get the biggest beating, would that be cause for concern when that owner brings their car to the dealership because a universal joint having failed while the car is under warrantee?

Thanks in advance-

The biggest beating? It's more likely on the street or the road courses than the dragstrip. While it's true that some people who dragrace break stuff, it's usually the less experienced ones or those trying to get extra HP from a bottle.

Take up the slack when staging. Make a smooth but quick launch. Go WOT for 1/4 mile shifting as req'd. Ease off and brake gradually. It's a nice smooth straight short road. What's to hurt?

On the street or road course - Downshift and engine brake, then go WOT to the next turn, hit the brakes hard while downshifting again and repeat multiple times. Drivetrains don't live well when violently stressed in both directions.

I just figure if I never take mine in they can't void the warranty then....

I was reading in my owners manual that if you carry a third person in the hatch of your Z06 your warranty is voided.

I was reading in my owners manual that if you carry a third person in the hatch of your Z06 your warranty is voided.

Does Chad's ego count?

Phill's Vette

warranty? I don need no stinkn warranty! :skull: Warranty is just another way the man keeps us repressed! :jaws: Down with big brother - or is it now "down with big bra".... :flag