Phoenix PD and FD lay offs

az-gold

Is it just me, but I've seen this same game played on the public in other parts of the country. Every one of us can think of the waste we've all seen in government and wonder why and how it's allowed to exist. The real crime lies in the fact that they are using dedicated, responsible, working people for the purpose of creating a fear in the minds of the tax paying public. Of course we could never deprive or take away the entitlement program $$$ that are an industry in and of themselves. Think about it, there'd be no notice by the public if they were to lay off 500 city employees in the areas of office clerical and administrative work. The public wouldn't do anything but probably cheer in support if funds were redirected from programs encouraging illegals to come and stay in Phoenix. What I'm getting at is that I'm sick and tired of the public being played with lay offs like this where the next thing the Pol's are going to say is, "Well, we don't have the money to pay the people to protect you and make you feel safe." Bull Sh_t. I predict that within 4 weeks they are all hired back. I'm just tired of all the freakin' games being played. I can't wait for the next elections. :willy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• az-gold

• Bigfoot

• Eddie44

• Phill's Vette

..huh? Ive read your post 3 times and I still cannot find a current stream of thought (or a link to a news source).

..huh?

Ive read your post 3 times and I still cannot find a current stream of thought (or a link to a news source).

Thursday or Friday morning Phoenix Channel 3 Good Morning Arizona had a segment regarding a 15% reduction in those areas.

I disagree. It wasn't the politicians that went to the news about PD and FD layoff. It was the Pheonix Law Enforcement Association (PLEA) who represents the officers. It is news because FD and PD are essential services which are meant to protect the lives and property of people. No offense to clerks, garbage men and librarians, but you can not say that about other city employees. It would be insane to lay off 300 police officers and firefighters and hire them back a month later to make a political statement. BTW, can you name some of the programs which encourage illegal immigrants to come to AZ?

I disagree. It wasn't the politicians that went to the news about PD and FD layoff. It was the Pheonix Law Enforcement Association (PLEA) who represents the officers.

It is news because FD and PD are essential services which are meant to protect the lives and property of people. No offense to clerks, garbage men and librarians, but you can not say that about other city employees. It would be insane to lay off 300 police officers and firefighters and hire them back a month later to make a political statement.

BTW, can you name some of the programs which encourage illegal immigrants to come to AZ?

I agree with Ted. In my 28 years as a member of the management team for a city Transit agency the last people to ever get cut in a city service are PD and FD. The citizens would hang the politicians here for any reductions in their staffing levels. First to go, at least here, is clerical, management then followed by other city personnel. PD and FD are untouchable.

I disagree. It wasn't the politicians that went to the news about PD and FD layoff. It was the Pheonix Law Enforcement Association (PLEA) who represents the officers.

It is news because FD and PD are essential services which are meant to protect the lives and property of people. No offense to clerks, garbage men and librarians, but you can not say that about other city employees. It would be insane to lay off 300 police officers and firefighters and hire them back a month later to make a political statement.

BTW, can you name some of the programs which encourage illegal immigrants to come to AZ?

In a manner of speaking so do teachers. Where do you think those kids are if they are not in school? And there might be more on the streets soon when more teachers lose their jobs? Teachers that teach subjects they like being in. Things like band, sports, art, law enforcement, forensics, etc... If they don't have something they like, they don't go and guess what they'll be doing.

Many of these kinds of teachers will be losing jobs because of budget cuts and voters. 107 in my district alone because the voters killed a 15 million dollar tax override (one that cost each household about .15 to .30 cents per day). Along with those 107, the rest of us (the ones that get to stay that is...core subjects like math, english, science and social studies) are looking at pay cuts on top of that.

I can tell you on a personal level that these layoffs are real. I interact with LE agencies on a daily basis and probably most of all Phx PD. I know one officer personally that is in danger of getting layed off. I know several others in assignments other than patrol that have been told they will be going back to patrol duty. You the public will not notice less uniforms on the street. What will suffer is the investigations area. If your home gets broken into don't expect it to be investigated unless it's a major dollar loss or some other criteria that they choose. If your car is stolen don't expect to have it investigated. Likewise don't expect there to be an officer at your kids school or when you want to have a Block Watch don't expect an officer to speak to you and neighbors. I will also tell you PLEA would not allow a 4 wk layoff. You'd be hearing from them loud and vocal if that were the case.

You can also include, means no new hires to fill vacant positions already slotted. In good times, these positions may be warranted, in the bad times, not so much. No new hires and no OT.

This is just more of the same that has been hitting all government sectors for a while now. I work for the state health department, where they are cutting vital public health services. We have been on hiring freeze for two years, we had six months of mandatory unpaid furloughs last year, and the latest is that effective April 1 we are all taking a permanent 5% pay cut and there may be more layoffs. There are 11 of us working in an area that should have a staff of 25, and I am thankful to still be employed. What I find aggravating is to see things like what is happening in Mesa right now, where they plan to raise 84 million dollars for a new sports venue. "Where there's a will, there's a way" but across the board, at local, county and state levels, it seems like the truly vital services (police, fire, education, health) somehow take a back seat. . . Just my 2 cents.

This is just more of the same that has been hitting all government sectors for a while now. I work for the state health department, where they are cutting vital public health services. We have been on hiring freeze for two years, we had six months of mandatory unpaid furloughs last year, and the latest is that effective April 1 we are all taking a permanent 5% pay cut and there may be more layoffs. There are 11 of us working in an area that should have a staff of 25, and I am thankful to still be employed.

What I find aggravating is to see things like what is happening in Mesa right now, where they plan to raise 84 million dollars for a new sports venue. "Where there's a will, there's a way" but across the board, at local, county and state levels, it seems like the truly vital services (police, fire, education, health) somehow take a back seat. . .

dont fret in 4 weeks they will all be hired back.

This is just a Political Ploy.

:Pfffff:

.. ohh they are so many ways I can poke holes in your posts. :gun5:

But I will not..

because I suspect you will not listen to any opposing viewpoint to yours and thereby become a waste of my time to try and do so.

Just like trying to argue politicts, religon and bigfoot over the internet.

Soo

here is a picture of Mr Pancake going to mars.

Posted Image

But I will not..

because I suspect you will not listen to any opposing viewpoint to yours and thereby become a waste of my time to try and do so.

Just like trying to argue politicts, religon and bigfoot over the internet.

Hey, don't drag me into this. :toetap

:lol

Being from Ohio, I know Toledo & Canton both had layoffs in Fire and PD. Within a couple of months Toledo had I think all the PD back. Now with a new Mayor, (Former Fire Chief) They are putting 40-50 new fire cadets through the fire academy. In Canton a lot of the older officers in Fire and PD took early buyouts, resulting in getting everybody back. Looks to me like this game is being played all over the US.

But I will not..

You suspect wrong my fence hugging friend!

By all means I would be very interested in yours or anyone elses view points if they can be backed with real evidence and not just emmotionally charged rhetoric because I might have hit a nerve.

Bring it on, please.

:banannadance:

No, lets not bring it on. We are a friendly bunch here and keep the arguing to PM if you want to do that. If this gets too political it will be locked.

No, lets not bring it on. We are a friendly bunch here and keep the arguing to PM if you want to do that.

If this gets too political it will be locked

Point taken.

Not a problem here.

For the record it was not I who was accusatory or confrontational towards any member here as our "resident fence sitter" was towards my expression of a personal observation it seems.

I guess the lesson learned here is that if one does not espouse a popular opinion it's not to be expressed.

I'll try taking a poll next time before starting a new thread here.

:nothing:

IBTL,

Andrew

LOL...you crack me up... :)

You said: For the record it was not I who was accusatory or confrontational towards any member here as our "resident fence sitter" was towards my expression of a personal observation it seems.

Not going after or accusing anyone. Just informing one and all we try to avoid anything like this. When done over open forum too many people get feelings hurt that's not what we are about. Do all you want through PM. They can choose to read or not to read and drag no one else into the fray.

You said: I guess the lesson learned here is that if one does not espouse a popular opinion it's not to be expressed.

Not true. We pride oursleves on "lack of rules" here. Albeit there are always rules, but we try to be lax. However, when it comes to politics and religion we REALLY try hard to keep it off of the forum. This is probably one of the most steadfast "rules" we have...no matter what the opinion is.

Politics and religion are two areas where people become very accusatory and defensive and causes more strife than it is worth.

I've been employed in the "private sector" my entire life. I can be fired or let go because it's a right to work state. If my company doesn't meet revenue goals, there's head chopping. Why should having a government job entitle anybody a life long career exempt from layoffs or firings?

Wayner? Wayner? :smilelol

IBTL

Now that's funny shite!!! :smilelol

I've been employed in the "private sector" my entire life. I can be fired or let go because it's a right to work state.

If my company doesn't meet revenue goals, there's head chopping.

Why should having a government job entitle anybody a life long career exempt from layoffs or firings?

I think the main point here, is the GOV is cutting some of the most important parts dealing with safety and life saving abilites and not form where they "should" be. No one is saying that they should be immune, but the government needs to work better and make "wiser" choices for for the benefit of public safety.

When it comes to firing, I think my job is as important to me and my family as the next guy. Whether you're a GOV employee or in the private sector, everybody wants to keep their job and can point fingers as to whose job is more important.

When it comes to firing, I think my job is as important to me and my family as the next guy.

Whether you're a GOV employee or in the private sector, everybody wants to keep their job and can point fingers as to whose job is more important.

Do you want to risk all the other out of work folks to put your family in danger by not having adequate police protection. What happens if your wife is home alone and someone tries to break in and the PD takes 8 mins vs 4 mins now. You'll be the first to scream.

It's all good to lay off police and fire until you're the one that needs them!