AHHH, DAMN! *@#$ SCOTTSDALE

Guest XLR8TNC5

My question is how many times are you going to see a Scottsdale Motorcycle Cop just after the cameras. The State made sure Scottsdale wasn't getting much of the revenue from the cameras but they will get the revenue from the cop written tickets. We used to refer to that as a fishing hole (someplace you could write tickets all day long).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Togo

• Eddie44

• 3,503 lbs of trouble

• Drewstein

My question is how many times are you going to see a Scottsdale Motorcycle Cop just after the cameras.  The State made sure Scottsdale wasn't getting much of the revenue from the cameras but they will get the revenue from the cop written tickets.  We used to refer to that as a fishing hole (someplace you could write tickets all day long).

The LEO would have to have RADAR running to be effective.

Then your V1 would pick it up, like the Vans that are always somewhere on Scottsdale Rd!

As Steve [uVETTYA] has pointed out, the RADAR in Photo Radar is a misnomer!!

It is sensors in the road, that measure the speed by time/distance.

Just like the smokey in the sky with a stopwatch and white stripes on the rural roads of Anywhere, USA!!

Now computers have shrunk the time and distance needed for accurate measurement down to millisec and ft!!

Then some aussie came up with the idea to marry computer timing with piezoelectric speed and camera aiming to get those wonderful pictures of you and your plate!!

Let science class begin!!

The film HAS to be the weak link in this operation!!

Have you ever tried to take a snap pic of a car going by with even 400 ASA film?

800 or 1200 in black and white :huh

I'd like to see ten Vettes, bumper to bumper, at 77 mph??

How about three sets of three Vette taking all lanes at 77??

This would definitely test the film/camera's abilities!!! :thumbs

#1 We would never get to see the photos

#2 We would slow down normal traffic and get a Chris ticket..................

The makers of the system know the limitations and won't publish the white paper on their web site!!

However, they make no bones about providing expert testimony at any trial that challenges the system or technology!!

I guess we will have to wait for the first good case to go to the court and see what the experts have to say!!

My $2.00

Ken

I was talking to a friend today who heard on the radio that to date the fastest speed recorded was 130mph. Anybody resemble this person. I figured that since the tickets are warnings until the 22nd somebody on the forum wanted to use the warning ticket as their ID photo. :smilelol

:burnout

even if I tape over my plate, my car stands out too much to get away with any stunts.

We have probably 30 black C5's in just the A.C.E. group. But, how many bright red late C3's have you seen in all of Phoenix?

You all can get away with your "stealth" cars. My Vette is is the one the cops look at when the honda mini van trips their radar gun.

Have fun, drive safe. Oh -- and don't forget to give the finger when they snap your picture.

3,503 lbs of trouble

<channel 3>So far 40 cars photographed exceeding 100 MPH. Scottsdale PD says all 40 will be receiving visits from detectives.</channel 3>

<channel 3>So far 40 cars photographed exceeding 100 MPH. Scottsdale PD says all 40 will be receiving visits from detectives.</channel 3>

I can see some legal battles over those tickets :yesnod

what do you mean eddie?

battles by the city? or the "alleged defendants"?

what do you mean eddie?

battles by the city? or the "alleged defendants"?

There are alot of issues I see on whether the citing officer observed the violation and if there is sufficient evidence for them to cite someone based on a photo they are handed by a civilian employee of another company. I know the system well enough that the employee of the company will hand the photo to someone there and it will go through several peoples hands before it reachs the PD and it will go through another two or three supervisors before the poor Detective receives it. Then he is supposed to go out and cite someone based on this photo not being altered etc.???? I think we've all seen what a good photochop can do!

How does that cop testify that in fact the photo is a true and authentic depiction of the incident as it happened? In the normal scenario with a van they have the person sitting in the van to testify as to how the equipment was operating, etc. In the pole camera scenario they have one person pulling the pics from a computer and they testify that they pulled it from the "system" and that system was functioning properly.

Sorry for the long response but hopefully it will help someone with a defense against Big Brother!

Guest XLR8TNC5

Hmmm, something to think about I suppose. I have not received the warning in the mail yet, but when I do, I will post it for you all. And we will photochop it and see what we can do to it, just as evidence that it can be done.

Tanya

Hmmm, something to think about I suppose. I have not received the warning in the mail yet, but when I do, I will post it for you all. And we will photochop it and see what we can do to it, just as evidence that it can be done.

Tanya

sweet - put minnie mouse in the front seat of your car instead! :D

;) Keep this hush-hush, but a certain someone's wife got photo popped in snottsdale by the roadside van ambush. :banghead When the notice came in the mail this certain someone noticed that his window tint had made it too dark and fuzzy to see who exactly was driving. After some expert consultation ( :drinkers ) with an astute legal mind, the words "unable to identify driver" were written on the notice, it was mailed in, ticket dismissed, and everybody lived happily ever after. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

The photo part of the notice now resides in a place of honor, as a reminder to the leadfoot spouse :lol

HAHAHA, I am still up for a ride in Drew's car anytime though!!!

Lol Mike calls me from his shop and has me drive down to give customers rides, :burnout

I'm down whenever. :thumbs

I heard on the 93.3FM the other day that it was a motorcycle with "NO" plate clocked at 131mph, which is way too fast on just two wheels for me. I'm suprised a C5/C6 owner out there somewhere didn't try and break that at 150+. we all know that Vettes are faster than a Viper LOL...Mmmmm

Guest UVETTYA

I heard on KTAR today that if they can't identify the driver, they won't issue a ticket.

I can see it now... everybody buying Richard Nixon masks...

Another trick is to have the car registered in the wives name only and if you get snapped she gets the ticket sent to her and she just has to say " it isn't me in that picture" and they have to dismiss. I've seen it happen with Frances' kids when they were driving cars that were registed in her name. She just went to the court and said Not Me and that's it. :) Robert

Guest freedom25
From page six in the link above: Remember, your right to remain silent only protects you from self-incrimination. It does not give you the right to refuse to be a witness against someone else. This can quickly become a legal nightmare. Whereas it is the job of the prosecution to identify the driver, they can use you as a tool to do that.

I know someone that actually ducked below the dash when speeding through the trap on Lincoln in PV.

http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/commphoto...w.php?colid=276

Guest XLR8TNC5

Got my warning in the mail yesterday. It came directly to me with MY name on it and the truck is registered in MARK'S NAME! lol. So, they must have had a GREAT pic of me driving! lol. They did not send a pic so I was not able to photochop anything crazy. :cuss

Anyway, I will avoid that stretch as much as possible from now on. If I have to go all the way around on the 202 everywhere. lol.

Just be careful everyone. I took a survey in my Marketing course lastnight to get a feeling for what everyone is feeling about the matter of the photo radars and it appears that we here, who oppose the whole thing are indeed a MINORITY! As, most of the people in the class, (23 of 25) felt it was a good thing. I talked to several employees at the office yesterday as well and they ALL felt it was a good thing.

I quote one person's response to me, "I think they are great to keep those Corvette A-holes from running me off the road and driving like they own the place." lol. I think they were saying it because they know I drive a Vette, but it felt like they were only HALF joking.

Take care all,

T

Just an addendum to what I posted above: I did have to photocopy both our licenses and mail the copies in with "unable to identify" on the notice. I'll try to scan the photo part of the ticket, but like I said, you really can't tell who was driving. Dismissed!

I can see it now, hundreds of Richard Nixons speeding through the traps, hundreds of returned and dismissed notices. :smilelol If the program becomes unprofitable, do you think they would scrap it?

Guest UVETTYA
Just an addendum to what I posted above: I did have to photocopy both our licenses and mail the copies in with "unable to identify" on the notice. I'll try to scan the photo part of the ticket, but like I said, you really can't tell who was driving. Dismissed!

I can see it now, hundreds of Richard Nixons speeding through the traps, hundreds of returned and dismissed notices. :smilelol If the program becomes unprofitable, do you think they would scrap it?

It's in a 9 month test period now and if word get's out how easy it is to beat the system and enough ticktes get dismissed, it may prove unprofitable. Personally I don't believe the intention is to slow down traffic so much as generate revenue.

Everybody knows where the cameras are and you can see the sensors in the roadway, so time will tell...

I heard they caught 150 speeders yesterday. If 10% of those won't end in fines, and the average fine is $157 with 80% of that going to administration, Scottsdale may only net $1,000,000 a year. And as word gets out and people learn how to beat the system by disguising themselves it could be way less than that. All you have to do is hold your hand up in front of your face and look through your fingers. If they can't get a good shot of you... dismissed!

Maybe I should sell Nixon masks and advertise them as photo radar busters.

:yesnod

Another trick is to have the car registered in the wives name only and if you get snapped she gets the ticket sent to her and she just has to say " it isn't me in that picture" and they have to dismiss. I've seen it happen with Frances' kids when they were driving cars that were registed in her name. She just went to the court and said Not Me and that's it. :) Robert

i heard the trick about "cross registering"

however, if it was not your spouse - they were somehow making you turn them in - this happened to someone a friend knew - and in their case it was their kid - so their kid got a ticket.

but if it IS your spouse, you don't have to "testify" against your spouse - some crazy law get's you out of that.