Rebuild or new?

Guest michaelpcole

Guest michaelpcole

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a 1964 convertible that needs some work. It has a 1965 Corvette engine, and a 1965 hood. Otherwise it is mostly stock. Any advice on whether it makes more sense to rebuild the engine even though it is not original or just buy a new one? I'm not sure how much difference it will make on value, but I like the idea of staying with a stock engine from the same era and it certainly has enough power to keep my interst. Any advice on keeping the 65 hood, or buying a replacement 64? I'm fairly new to Corvettes, and a little overwhelmed with all the decisions.

Thanks!

:willy

3,503 lbs of trouble
Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a 1964 convertible that needs some work. It has a 1965 Corvette engine, and a 1965 hood.

'65 engine in it you say? 327 or 396? What's wrong with the engine that you think it needs to be rebuilt?

Since it's not a numbers matching car, it leaves you a lot of freedom to improve drivability without hurting value if you have a fresh crate engine dropped in.

I think it becomes a question of money, as well as the fact that it will always have a non numbers matching motor. My understanding is that even with the same year motor it still will bring less at sales time. When I get something I get it for ME, not for possible future sale. I buy it and use and fix it like I'll have it forever.JMHO. What color is your car and welcome to the forum. Robert :burnout

Guest michaelpcole

It is a 327. It blows out gray smoke like James Bond when I give it the gas at freeway speeds. According to my mechanic it is "tired," and he recommended having a rebuild at some point in the near future. He doesn't do that kind of work, so I don't think he is trying to soak me. After replacing the valve seals he ran clean oil through it a couple of times and kept finding metal shavings. It sounds strong, but with the smoke, a persistent oil drip I can't get stopped, and the advice of my mechanic I think I should have someone look at it.

Guest michaelpcole

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the welcome. It is red with a black interior. The paint is decent, although some stress cracks and old body repairs are starting to show through. The interior is black leather and looks new.

3,503 lbs of trouble
It is a 327.  It blows out gray smoke like James Bond when I give it the gas at freeway speeds.  According to my mechanic it is "tired," and he recommended having a rebuild at some point in the near future.  He doesn't do that kind of work, so I don't think he is trying to soak me.  After replacing the valve seals he ran clean oil through it a couple of times and kept finding metal shavings.  It sounds strong, but with the smoke, a persistent oil drip I can't get stopped, and the advice of my mechanic I think I should have someone look at it.

My old Vette mechanic, Doug Bromley, specializes in C3s & C2s.

Bromley's Performance Corvettes

3738 W. Common Wealth Ave.

Chandler, AZ 85226

(480) 390-2652

He can drop in a crate engine for you, but he's not an engine builder.

Someone else here is having Doug (not Bromley) at ADS rebuild their vintage Vette engine. ADS is a good shop. I'd consider letting them rebuild it if that's the direction you want to go.

ADS - Automotive Diagnostic Specialties

(480) 961-8704

(480) 926-7854

6835 W Chandler Blvd

Chandler, AZ 85226

http://www.adsaz.biz/

Welcome Michael! :howdy

Not because I'm trying to be nasty or an azzhole but you might check out Technical / Repair / Modification section. We've got another member with basically the same situation only his is the original motor. Might benefit from his experiences. That's what this place is all about.

If you check out the events section you'll see we've got a great event coming up Sat the 18th. You're welcome to come even if you can't bring the Vette. We'll have a couple members coming in the "other rides".

Again, WELCOME! :drinkers

3,503 lbs of trouble
Not because I'm trying to be nasty or an azzhole but you might check out Technical / Repair / Modification section. We've got another member with basically the same situation only his is the original motor. Might benefit from his experiences. That's what this place is all about.

http://arizonavette.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1220

Guest michaelpcole

Thanks for the advice. Would love to make the Gila Bend run, but have to work next weekend. Hopefully we can make the next event that comes up!

Guest Simpson36

If what you have is, in fact, a 1965 Corvette Engine, you might want to advertise it and sell it to a '65 owner who may be looking for an original engine.

It would be worth a lot to them and it's not going to do you any more good than a crate engine.

True Story:

Many years ago I aquired a 327 that I was planning to build for racing. I routinely checked engine codes, casting numbers and the like to see what we had to work with. While the engine code fell in at 1965 Corvette there was a part of the code that defied decyphering.

It took quite a while, but eventually a Vette Club identified it as being for a 1965 Corvette with FACTORY AIR!!

Racing with an engine that special and would just be wrong! I've lost track over the years, but last I knew it was headed for it's new home . . a 1965 Vette . . . with factory air, of course!

What would be :cool would be to locate an original '64 Vette engine. Then it would be worth the bucks to restore it like Chevy69 is doing, which is of course, WAY :cool ,otherwise, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to go crate.

Guest 1FASTC4

Welcome Michael! You can rebuild(or have rebuilt) your existing motor cheaper than you can buy a crate motor and it also allows you to decide exactly what parts go in.

Hey Michael-

Just offering these two cents - from someone who has a 'numbers matching' C3....

I feel really limited when I think of my car's driveability. Overall, it's been a good little runner, but I would not think of driving it the way that this group does on their cruises. Its 30 year old technology just can't keep up and I have gotten past the age when being stranded on the side of the road was an adventure. ;)

So, since your car already has a non-matching motor, I'd say put whatever the heck you want in it. If you want to drive-really drive it-go with the faster route possible-crate motor. I've done the rebuild thing, and I agonized over what cam, lifters, etc to get. The research took longer than the build! Of course, if you are really into that sort of thing (engineer type), than make that your pleasure. I prefer to drive! :burnout

Good luck with your decision-btw, I love the C2 body style! :thumbs

M~

3,503 lbs of trouble
If what you have is, in fact, a 1965 Corvette Engine, you might want to advertise it and sell it to a '65 owner who may be looking for an original engine. It would be worth a lot to them and it's not going to do you any more good than a crate engine.

True Story:

Many years ago I aquired a 327 that I was planning to build for racing. I routinely checked engine codes, casting numbers and the like to see what we had to work with. While the engine code fell in at 1965 Corvette there was a part of the code that defied decyphering.

It took quite a while, but eventually a Vette Club identified it as being for a 1965 Corvette with FACTORY AIR!!

Racing with an engine that special and would just be wrong! I've lost track over the years, but last I knew it was headed for it's new home . . a 1965 Vette . . . with factory air, of course!

What would be :cool would be to locate an original '64 Vette engine. Then it would be worth the bucks to restore it like Chevy69 is doing, which is of course, WAY :cool ,otherwise, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to go crate.

:agree I've got to go with Steve on this one. Your '65 327 may be just what some '65 owner is looking for to make his car correct, and you could put that money into a fresh crate engine with more horsepower.