Oh No! Warranty Repair

Guest UVETTYA

Guest UVETTYA

Well, tomorrow I have an appointment at Brown and Brown in Mesa. I had the oil changed at Goodwrench today and asked to look under the car while it was over the pit. I noticed a drop of oil on my garage floor in the vacinity of my driver's side rear axle a few days ago, and sure enough it's leaking. I suspect the axle seal, as these are notarious for leaking on C5's.

It's not that big a deal, I guess, I had both replaced on my '03 Z06 at Brown and Brown a year or so ago, so evidently they know what they're doing. It just pains me to take my Z to the dealership. A 16 yr old drives the car out of sight and a 16 yr old brings it back, and you're not allowed to stay with the car while they work on it. That bugs me. I just don't trust anyone around my Z. So I'm crying.

Anyone else had this done, and do you recommend any other dealership? Power Chevrolet at 91st and Bell is only about 6 miles from me, but I've never taken my Z there. In fact, I've never had to take it in for anything until now. I had my '03 worked on a lot at B&B.. they did a clutch, gas tank, window motor etc. and everything seemed ok when I got it back.

They offered me a loaner but I told them I'd wait.

Pardon me while I have a nervous break-down.

Waaah!

Steve

:eek Good luck..

I think Melissa's car is out of warranty (Since about 1971)so we don't take it to dealers.... Wish I could help with some advice on this one, I'm sure someone has some good places to go to....

Andrew

Ours was done a few months back under warranty by Gateway in Avondale. I like their service dept and have always been treated fairly. John Sheldon the service writer in a Z06 owner also. Now their body shop is a different story, just ask Tanya!

Guest UVETTYA
:eek Good luck..

I think Melissa's car is out of warranty (Since about 1971)so we don't take it to dealers.... Wish I could help with some advice on this one, I'm sure someone has some good places to go to....

Andrew

Yeah, Melissa's is definitely out of warranty Andrew. :lol

Thanks for your sympathy.

Steve

Guest UVETTYA
Ours was done a few months back under warranty by Gateway in Avondale. I like their service dept and have always been treated fairly. John Sheldon the service writer in a Z06 owner also. Now their body shop is a different story, just ask Tanya!

Thanks for the info. I might try them next time I need something done. Does John Sheldon take his own Z there for repairs? Will they let you stay with the vehicle? At B&B I insist that they at least let me go along anytime they test drive it, and they're ok with that. I've heard horror stories about techs wrapping them around a telephone pole during a test drive. Maybe I'm just anal. :banghead But I love my baby!

They will let you be with your car in the lube shop, but not in the service area. Maybe you might be able to sweet talk them into it better that I. ;) As far as John's car goes, I have seen it on the rack there before. The service manager is a car guy, so he understands our little quirks! :smilelol

Guest UVETTYA

Little quirks? ha ha I'm down right ANAL! LOL!

Well, all went well. It took them about 2½ hrs and they did both sides, even though only the drivers side was leaking. I like that. And it WAS the axle seal. I'll have to put it up on the ramps now and see if they cleaned the oil off the underside.

They say this is a common problem on C5 Z's because they sometimes over-fill the diff at the factory. Then it builds pressure and the seal starts leaking. Mine was ok up until about 5K miles ago so you all might want to check yours to make sure it's not over-full.

I have 21,500 miles on it now, so I think I'm going to buy a GMPP after-market warranty before it hits 24K. I'm thinking about a 60/70/0. It's a little spendy but I plan on keeping the car stock - it's plenty fast for me as it is - (I can keep up with you 600HP guys until you get traction) :D and I like to drive it a lot, so it's probably going to be worth it to me. I had one on my '03 and it paid for itself in about a year. I put 65,000 on the '03 Z in a year and a half. :burnout

Steve

Check on the Corvette Forum C5 General for the extended warrenty. There is a dealer that sells them pretty much at his cost. Great deal.

Phil... :devil

Guest UVETTYA
Check on the Corvette Forum C5 General for the extended warrenty. There is a dealer that sells them pretty much at his cost. Great deal.

Phil... :devil

Thanks Phil.

I've done just that and checked with Ross Downing and Fichtner and they both wanted the same price for the 60/70/0. So today while at B&B I told them what I had been quoted and they said they'd sell it to me for that same price. :thumbs

Steve