Yuma ACE run to Julian, CA - CANCELLED

Marana Rich

CANCELLED - SEE MY ENTRY OF 22 JANUARY!

We are planning a run to Julian, up in the mountains on the way to San Diego, at 150+miles EACH WAY.

Plan is to leave assembly area about 8:30 in the morning, get to Julian in time for lunch and some sightseeing in this quaint little town, and return to Yuma late that afternoon, option is to find a place and spend a leisure day and night in Julian.

We will probably go up one way and return via another road, to make sure we hit all the twisties between I-8 and the town.

That will depend on road conditions after the storms go through.

Route to Julian

YumaRich

Fred

Floyd

Michael

Jim white

TheCMSH - One way

Tom Counts

RojoSi5 - Janie & Malcolm

Mona & Ed ??

Matt - the token Viper dude

As of this moment I'm in. I'll meet up with you at Yuma, make the drive up to Julian with you and then I'll likely skip lunch and head into SD

Put me down as a maybe. I'll do the drive to Julian, have lunch (I want some apple pie!) and then head over on Hwy 78 to Oceanside to visit my son for the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich- Due to the lovely weather in San Diego forcasted for San Diego Friday, I won't be racing at Qualcomm. So I will be joining for the drive up to Julian. Were are we meeting at Saturday Morning?

Rich-

Due to the lovely weather in San Diego forcasted for San Diego Friday, I won't be racing at Qualcomm. So I will be joining for the drive up to Julian. Were are we meeting at Saturday Morning?

I knew there was something missing on this thread.

Plan is to meet at Love's on 3E just off I-8. Be ready for 8:30 launch.

Two-way radios on channel 3.

The Apple Pies are worth the drive to Julian.

Hey Rich- Just looked at the weather for Julian through Saturday. It might be an issue: Tonight Showers...chance of thunderstorms and snow showers. Patchy fog. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds and small hail. Precipitation may be heavy at times in the evening. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Colder. Lows 29 to 39. Snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches. Snow level 4500 feet... becoming 4000 feet overnight. Winds southwest 25 to 35 mph. Gusts to 45 mph...becoming 50 mph overnight. Friday Patchy fog in the morning. Snow showers with possible showers and thunderstorms likely. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds and small hail. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. Highs 35 to 45. Snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches. Snow level 4000 feet. Winds west 20 to 30 mph. Gusts to 50 mph...becoming 45 mph in the afternoon. Friday Night Showers...snow showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then snow showers likely and chance of showers overnight. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds and small hail in the evening. Moderate snow accumulations possible. Colder. Lows 24 to 34. Snow level 4000 feet. Winds west 20 to 30 mph. Gusts to 40 mph...becoming 45 mph overnight. Chance of measurable precipitation 70 percent. Saturday Partly cloudy. Chance of showers in the morning. Light snow accumulations possible. Highs 38 to 48. Winds west 15 to 25 mph. Gusts to 35 mph...becoming 30 mph in the afternoon. Chance of measurable precipitation 40 percent.

We are watching the weather closely, hoping that storm moves out in time for the run. Probably will wait as long as possible to make a decision, and will notify everyone on this link and by email.

I have been following the weather also and I think I am going to bail on this one. National Weather Service had a winter storm advisory for both Julian and Pine Valley (closest to Interstate) from 6pm tonight until 6 pm Friday evening. Estimated snow fall 8-16" at 4000 ft. and Julian is 42xx ft. Even if the roads are clear, what will the parking lots or parking in Julian going to be like, I mean they have to put the snow somewhere and I am not taking a chance with having to drive on snow with Nitto RII's or in heavy rain and wind. I may just wait until Sunday and take the Z71 pickup over to Oceanside. This trip can be rescheduled, I know it would be a fun time in nice weather. Here's the report: Issued by The National Weather Service San Diego, CA 1:18 pm PST, Thu., Jan. 21, 2010 ... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM PST FRIDAY... A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 PM PST FRIDAY. PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOWFALL EXPECTED ABOVE 5000 FEET TONIGHT... AND 4000 FEET FRIDAY. TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 8 TO 16 INCHES IS POSSIBLE WITH LOCALLY GREATER AMOUNTS. AREAS OF SOUTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL CAUSE NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

JULIAN RUN CANCELLED Good morning. Based on latest forecast for the Julian area, I am CANCELLING the run scheduled for tomorrow. Below forecast does not look to good, and we would have to consider the weather in between here and there also. Today: Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog. High near 39. Windy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to between 25 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible. Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible. Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 10am. Snow level 4500 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. West wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Sorry, we will reschedule this for a later date. No apple pie this weekend. Weather permitting, we will be at the Coffee Bun for coffee as usual. Richard

JULIAN RUN CANCELLED

Good morning. Based on latest forecast for the Julian area, I am CANCELLING the run scheduled for tomorrow. Below forecast does not look to good, and we would have to consider the weather in between here and there also.

Today: Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog. High near 39. Windy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to between 25 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 10am. Snow level 4500 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. West wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 31. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Sorry, we will reschedule this for a later date. No apple pie this weekend.

Weather permitting, we will be at the Coffee Bun for coffee as usual.

Richard

What the....? I drove all the way to Love's on 3E just off I-8 a day early in anticapation for nuthin? O MY GOD!!

Kidding,.... that's too bad. might have been good pics from that event.