DPS Officers hit during pursuit...

Scratch

You may have seen the news, two DPS officers hit during a vehicle pursuit, while placing stop-sticks on the 101 near 7th St. Suspect fled and was then captured on foot by Phoenix PD. Sounds as though one officer was not going to make it :angelsad The other was alive. Reports are they were struck on purpose, and at about 80mph. I'm sure I speak for all here, with our thoughts and prayers for the officers and families.

:angelsad:angelsad My thoughts and prayers are certainly with the injured officers as well as their brothers in uniform!

I haven't seen this on the news yet, but its even more sad to hear at this time of year.

That really sux. :angelsad It's one thing to go balls out...but never ever would I run away from a cop. They are just doing their job.

Article copied from Fox website. Truly tragic and I don't know how the one officer will live with himself...

DPS Officer Hit, Killed on Loop 101 by 2nd Officer

Updated: Friday, 18 Dec 2009, 8:27 AM MST

Published : Thursday, 17 Dec 2009, 10:11 PM MST

PHOENIX - An Arizona Department of Public Safety Officer has died after he was struck by another officer on the Loop 101 in north Phoenix Thursday night.

DPS spokesman Steve Harrison says the chase reaching speeds of 100 mph began Thursday night on Phoenix Loop 101 near 56th Street after a vehicle was spotted with a stolen license plate.

Harrison says as an officer pursued the suspect west on 101, another officer laid down spike strips near the 7th Avenue overpass.

He says the DPS vehicle struck the officer in the roadway, and authorities are trying to determine if the suspect's car also hit the officer.

Harrison say the chase continued and suspect eventually fled on foot and was captured hiding on a porch near 5th Avenue in west Phoenix.

Officer Chris Marano was 28-years-old, married with four children. The youngest child is just 4 months old. All night, DPS officers were paying respects to one of their own at the hospital.

A female suspect was taken into custody but she wasn't further identified.

Harrison say the officer in the car suffered a hand injury and was receiving hospital treatment.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/dps_officer_hurt_121709

How is it the DPS car hit the officer??? There has to be communication that the stop sticks are going out and where. No way something like that should happen.

How is it the DPS car hit the officer???

There has to be communication that the stop sticks are going out and where. No way something like that should happen.

In those situations anything can happen. The story I've heard is the suspect swerved toward the officer and either hit him first or he jumped out of the way and the DPS car hit him.

In those situations anything can happen. The story I've heard is the suspect swerved toward the officer and either hit him first or he jumped out of the way and the DPS car hit him.

That thought came to mind, but the pursuit officer should know the sticks are out and be slowing down right??? Makes sense to me anyway.

That thought came to mind, but the pursuit officer should know the sticks are out and be slowing down right??? Makes sense to me anyway.

Knowing and realizing are often two different things when your adrenaline is pumping at the max.

A pursuit, especially if there is high speed involved can be pretty wild. You have everyone yelling on the radio, you get tunnel vision on the pursuit car, all the while the siren is blasting, there are flashing lights everywhere and you're trying not to hit other cars while trying to stay close. If it's dark and you have someone on the side of the road, anything can happen. Not to mention if the pursuit car swerves, the following cars might have reacted, too. What a tragedy for DPS and the officer's family.

That sucks. My heart goes out to his family. Now 4 kids have to grow up without a daddy because some douchebag wanted to avoid a ticket. They should put that bitch down.