Side Pipe Muffler Inserts *C3 Stuff*

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

A few weeks ago I removed the old rusty original Hooker side pipe muffler inserts and went commando for a while. The decimal level was probably a few below no pipes at all - WAY LOUD - HOA make you move out loud!

Getting the old inserts out was the real job here, so installing the new ones only took me a few hours tonight. I ordered a set of 2.5" inserts from Sweet Thunder and I have finally found my happy middle ground with the sound I've always wanted from this Vette - I found my Happy Place! :banannasword:

The original style inserts had a 1 7/8” inner baffle tube while the new ones have 2.5" baffles with a chambered style inner tube wrapped around the 4" side pipes. The sound IS Sweet Thunder as this company promised - not to loud at cruising speed, but at WOT, all other cars around me know its a Corvette!

The new and the old:

2d919pf.jpg

15otu10.jpg

New project starting tomorrow will be to install the new A/C compressor, accumulator, dryer and seals to get her ready for some new R12 this weekend.

Next week, me and DCS (Tom & Jim) will be doing some tuning work on her to prep for another dyno run; then when the DSC Gods are finished with me, I will be installing a new 3:70 differential with all new universal joints. When I do the differential swap, I will post as some here have expressed interest in helping/hanging out for this.

:thumbs

Side pipes rule!

Just not sure about in a daily driver. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol

Side pipes rule!

MAYBE???

lol

Side pipes rule!

MAYBE???

lol

HEY! :toetap

I've got one with sidepipes! Just glad I can choose when to drive it. Depends on whether I'm in the mood to actually hear the wife or not :lol

Phill's Vette

Yeah, some days after a long day the drone kinda gets to me, BUT over all I just love the sound especially now. When I get old like Eddie..... I can always install some more restrictive inserts. Eddie, this company, Sweet Thunder also makes inserts for the 3.5" side pipes like yours - I think that is what you have?? There is actually a lot of sound/volume options around for us side pipe guys - both OEM and after market side pipes.

Dwayne, I will work on making a sound bite and get it posted.

:thumbs

Side pipes rule!

Never too old! :lol

looking forward to seeing / hearing the new tubes !!! :thumbs

I bet it sounds awesome!!!!

Sound clips are definately needed..........

Congrats on the mod!!!!

Andrew

Next week, me and DCS (Tom & Jim) will be doing some tuning work on her to prep for another dyno run; then when the DSC Gods are finished with me

So which day is it? BTW: who is this?

DSC Gods are finished with me
:smilelol

Are you sure you want to go to a 3:70? Phill, a 3:54 would be plenty, (more than enough) I'm thinking your not going to be liking the mpg with that other gear at all. Even if you are planning for down the road a bit with the new motor, you may want to do the math and calculate which gear/TQ would be best after you hit it on the dyno. Just a suggestion though.

Phill's Vette

oops......DCS! :leaving

Yeah, 3:70 will probably be way too much, but if I don't like it I will have the old original diff rebuilt with 3:54 or less - I'll have to see. :thumbs

82Vette'ster

Phil, I want'a here those pipes. I've always wanted side pipes, although I like the 69 covers type myself. Side pipes are sweet. It gives a C3 that muscle look and sound I think it should have.

On your rear, I have the 3.73 gears. I think Tom's might be right. If you are going to keep the 700r4 trans and its gearing and you have motor mods in the future, then you might like 3.5's better. First gear is real low. With more motor it might be a little too low. I'm going a different route on the trans, so I think my 3.73 will match well. If I didn't have that Vette in pieces you could feel and compare might help you decide.