Piston Slap

Dvl4evr

About a month ago, I started hearing a clicking noise from under the hood. I looked to see if it was associated w/ the belt or a pulley, and noticed it was coming from the engine itself. Since then, I have unfortunately been able to look into it further and it's gotten a little louder. I've heard of piston slap, but not sure what it should sound like. Can some one please enlighten me?

Thanks,

Jim

i would take it to LPM or a corvette known shop and get their opinion! Jason at LPM can help! He knows alot about piston slapping!lol

If it goes away when it's warm it might be piston slap. More than likely it's a stuck lifter though. Or possibly a broken rocker arm, bent pushrod, etc. How does it run aside from the ticking?

My C5 had piston slap and sounded like a diesel truck when it started up. As it warmed it quieted down. I put 58k on it w/o a bit of problem. I agree that it sounds valve related if it's doing it all the time and getting worse. I'd run, not walk to a competent repair facility.

My C5 had piston slap and sounded like a diesel truck when it started up. As it warmed it quieted down. I put 58k on it w/o a bit of problem. I agree that it sounds valve related if it's doing it all the time and getting worse. I'd run, not walk to a competent repair facility.

:agree

:agree:agree:agree

I have it on my '01, go over to corvettemechanic.com and do a search on it; it's a very common problem and there's a ton of information about it on that site. The premium gas which we have to put in the car is the culprit unfortunately. I use bottle of Techron (fuel system cleaner, not the injector cleaner) about every 4th tank which helps minimize it (carbon build-up), there is a product out there called BG44K which supposedly will eliminate it after a couple bottles of it. I haven't been able to locate it here in Phoenix and honestly haven't pursued trying to order it in from out-of-state as of yet. It's not a death sentence for the car but you should monitor the situation. Hope this helps

80% of the time its because the cylinder hone isn't all the way true and when the pistons cold it slaps around in the bore. I had 2 01's that did it and a 99 F body. There are other things that can cause it best thing to do though is have someone take a look at it and see what the noise is. Could be valvetrain related as well but its hard to tell unless I hear it in person.

Jason

Guest Sidewinder

We also have a small borescope we can remove the plugs and see any scoring on the cylinder wall, you hafta know what your looking for though it's not like scratches. That would tell ya without a doubt what it is. I had it on my '02 and now I can hear it on other peoples cars from a mile away.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The sound doesn't go away as the car warms & my first thoughts were of lifters. But I'm no expert so I'll get it in ASAP.

Thanks again!

Jim

Guest Sidewinder
Thanks everyone for the replies. The sound doesn't go away as the car warms & my first thoughts were of lifters. But I'm no expert so I'll get it in ASAP.

Thanks again!

Jim

Should be easy to diagnose to a trained ear. :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the deal???? Did you find out what it is??????? I haven't been on the forum for a while so I was just wonderin'.......

Ok, so I'm quite embarrassed about what the issue was. It seems the #7 spark plug wasn't torqued down enough & the compression was pushing it out every time that cylinder fired.

Good news is that it only took them an hours worth of labor to figure that out & take care of the problem! :partydance:

an hour?

That's just the labor they charged him. You run a shop, you know how it is. ;) :lol

In all acutality they are supposed to charge what the book says for time. i.e. if the book says 1.5, you charge 1.5 hours even if it took 3 hours or 10 minutes.

Which means it was a 5 minute job so the customer gets screwed and pay for an hour and half. So lets just tell the customer it took an hour to make us feel better about charging them........ :lol

Seriously though, glad to hear it got fixed!!!!!!!

Andrew