Favorite Arizona drive

08Z51

Dawg likes going to Duncan....

I'd like to give the Devils highway a go, but I'm afraid of the traffic that congests any good road around here. Can't say I have any road I like more than the 83 heading south to Sonoita, and it's always congested and it's not that long.

My fave too...and once in Sonoita head toward Serria Vista...that stretch between there and Whetstone(?) you can open her up really good, top off.

My favorite drive is anytime I get to fire up the old girl and back it out of the garage. Doesn't matter too much to me where we go.

My 2 favorite rides/drives are the Devil's Highway and pretty much the entire stretch of 89A. There is almost no traffic on the Devil's Highway and it is a blast no matter what you're riding or driving. Just got to watch out for rocks and wildlife! The last time we did it, we must have seen 2 dozen mountain goats!

• 8 years later...

New Kid (and wife) on the block here, spending Feb-Mar in Chandler before heading back to home near Chicago.

I try to keep the Corvette out of the snow and salt, but it's hard to find out which areas salt the roads and which ones don't.  So far I've learned that Flagstaff does salt and Navajo County in general, according to their website.  Probably Mt. Lemmon by Tucson.  Phoenix does not!

But what about the intermediate elevations like Prescott/Payson/Show Low/Globe?

In Illinois, the rains begin as soon as the snow ends, so the salt disappears pretty quickly.  In Arizona, probably not so much.

Suggestions?

Flagstaff may not use salt, but they use volcanic ash. That shit makes a mess. I know that Iron Springs Rd. has been sanded in the past when I've been up there.

That's about all I can add.

S.C.

Hwy 87 north through Payson to Hwy 260 west to Camp Verde.  Twisties, sweepers, lots of elevation changes and great views. If you go during the week, not too much traffic.  Never seen any evidence of salt or cinders (volcanic ash) on this route.

Here is an odd choice........Yes, all the twisty roads in Arizona are nice. But running U.S. 60 out of Wickenburg is a great road, if you are on your way to any number of places west. It's good quality, low traffic two lane all the way to where it merges with I-10. If you're going to Yuma, 95 south out of Quartzite is similar. If you're going to California, I'll toss in a non-AZ portion of the drive, which is 78 out of Blythe, which will take you through the Glamis sand dunes.

What makes this all a great drive to me is the lack of traffic, decent pavement, lack of cops, and great views. I've done these roads countless times in the Vette and on my motorcycles, and with few exceptions, I've always been alone. It's a great ride for some solitude.

S.C.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Chameleon said:

Hwy 87 north through Payson to Hwy 260 west to Camp Verde.  Twisties, sweepers, lots of elevation changes and great views. If you go during the week, not too much traffic.  Never seen any evidence of salt or cinders (volcanic ash) on this route.

Don't forget that Window Rock state park is on Hwy 87 just after leaving Payson.

I went on a good one last summer (it felt like I drove around the whole state), start in Yuma, head through Gila bend, through phoenix, hit the 87 up to payson, strawberry, to winslow, stop at meteor crater for break, on to flagstaff, take the 89a through Sedona, skim past cottonwood, drive quietly through jerome maybe stop and take in the sights, on to Prescott for the night (say hi to Jason at brown bag), check out old town. next day head down the 89 back home.

Suzy Cruisy
On 2/2/2009 at 2:16 PM, roneva said:

I like Globe, Salt River Canyon on to Show Low and back thru Payson. :yeah:

So, from Globe up Hwy 60 is good?

I am doing a drive up thru Payson to the Petrified Forest in May, and I want to return a different way that's good since all the roads are 'new to me'.

scottcolbath
28 minutes ago, Suzy Cruisy said:

So, from Globe up Hwy 60 is good?

I am doing a drive up thru Payson to the Petrified Forest in May, and I want to return a different way that's good since all the roads are 'new to me'.

Do 260 out of Payson to 277 to Snowflake. Then take Concho Rd. east to Concho, then 180 up to Holbrook. Before you hit town, you will hit Petrified Forest Rd. through the rocks that look like trees. Or is it trees that look like rocks?

S.C.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
insatiableOne
On 3/3/2017 at 5:26 PM, scottcolbath said:

Do 260 out of Payson to 277 to Snowflake. Then take Concho Rd. east to Concho, then 180 up to Holbrook. Before you hit town, you will hit Petrified Forest Rd. through the rocks that look like trees. Or is it trees that look like rocks?

S.C.

I did that drive sort of..  then went over to the 40 to 191 :willy          was like a 13+ hour round trip

It started getting late when I was in the petrified forest ( like noon) so never turned the car off except fillup. Almost ran out of fuel twice!

scottcolbath
On 4/6/2017 at 10:42 AM, insatiableOne said:

I did that drive sort of..  then went over to the 40 to 191 :willy          was like a 13+ hour round trip

It started getting late when I was in the petrified forest ( like noon) so never turned the car off except fillup. Almost ran out of fuel twice!

That's a good run. What was the total mileage?

S.C.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, chadmac99c5 said:

favorite arizona drive??? i'm going with the road back to texas!!lol

. . . you obviously need to get out in your Vette more. . .:driving::yesnod

insatiableOne
4 hours ago, scottcolbath said:

That's a good run. What was the total mileage?

S.C.

Over 1k for sure. Don't remember the exact just remember it was approximately 560 each way, three tanks of fuel. 

Gearhead Jim

Mr & Mrs Gearhead are back in the Chicago area after two months in PHX, and have rented another place for next Feb/Mar; we'll see you folks again.

Thanks for the nice drive to Prescott!

Going home last week, we took 60/61/180 (beautiful) to the Petrified Forest and were petrified by the blowing snow and wind chill about 0'.  Spent the night at the Wigwam motel in Holbrook, then I40 into New Mexico and stopped at a total of 7 National Parks on the way home.  Since we had rain or snow every day, and wind chills around freezing most of the time, we didn't spend much time outdoors at the Parks.  But so far, that's our favorite road!

We put about 6,500 more miles on the 2009; bringing our total on that car to a little over 102,000.

chadmac99c5
8 hours ago, Chameleon said:

. . . you obviously need to get out in your Vette more. . .:driving::yesnod

i DRIVE MY BABY EVERY DAY!!!!! SHE'S A DAILY DRIVER. I THINK IT WAS 880 MILES DOOR TO DOOR. 90-100 MPH THE WHOLE WAY AND GOT 24.5 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottcolbath
3 hours ago, Gearhead Jim said:

Spent the night at the Wigwam motel in Holbrook

I had a luxurious breakfast across the street at the Safeway last August. :lol

IMG_20160812_070106035_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG_20160812_072430735_HDR-XL.jpg

Gearhead Jim

TripAdvisor showed the Safeway as a restaurant, which left us a bit confused.

And my wife was worried that our little Wigwam would not have an indoor toilet:  "No pee-pee in the Tee-pee?"

Fortunately, it did.

:P

scottcolbath
21 hours ago, Gearhead Jim said:

TripAdvisor showed the Safeway as a restaurant, which left us a bit confused.

And my wife was worried that our little Wigwam would not have an indoor toilet:  "No pee-pee in the Tee-pee?"

Fortunately, it did.

:P

It's Holbrook. Set the expectations very low. At least the KOA there is pretty good.

S.C.

• 3 weeks later...
RobertAshby

Nothing better in Arizona than 191 from Morenci to Springerville/Eager ! Never traffic, no semi's allowed !

scottcolbath
On 4/28/2017 at 2:11 PM, RobertAshby said:

Nothing better in Arizona than 191 from Morenci to Springerville/Eager ! Never traffic, no semi's allowed !

The southern part has some shit asphalt, but it gets better a little further up. Then you hit the rhythm section and it's friggin' sweet all the way to Hannagan Meadow. I've only done it on my Hayabusa, never in a car.

S.C.

RobertAshby

Started motorcycling that road in 1972 !  Much more bike miles than car miles up there !