Electric issues C5

Final Effort

Final Effort

I bought Roneva's 2000 C5 about 4 yrs ago. Been trouble free.

Last Sunday I got the Traction Control and ABS. light on our way home, but it ran fine.

Today I went to drive to work It fired up as soon as I dropped it in D it stalled.

Upon restarting as soon as I let off of key it dies. Tried about 5X same results.

Does this sound like a ground problem, or that key-ign. deal?

I didn't have time this morning to check for any codes.

Thanks  Harry

If it were the ignition kill issue, you would get some roll out of it, before it will die.  With the traction control light having come on, I would check the battery for possible replacement & then grounds.

Ok I got home and checked the battery terminals Negative I got a 1/16 of a turn car fired right up.

still showing Service Vehicle soon & traction control w/ ABS idiot lights. 

So I pulled the negative cable, waited 30min. Upon reconnecting the cable I got an arc bigger

than I think is normal.  Fired car up still showing the same warning.  Pulled DIC codes 

P 1571 HC

also had several H  codes saying  loss of communication WTF? Is that.

Battery was new this summer. 

Ron found another sucker to by his junk.  Hahaha.  Just kidding. 

Try the cheapest first.  Check and clean the grounds. 

After chasing this demon this summer, here is what I experienced and found.  I had the same,  inconsistent codes coming and going and just couldn't nail it down.  I did the standard check the battery, check the cables, connections, yadda yadda and then I went after the grounds.  For a 16 year old car my ground connections and connectors were nearly pristine and I will chalk this up to being an Arizona car.  Connector points on the frame rails are a slightly different configuration on 2000 model year and below, so your findings could vary from mine

After researching threads on the Big Board, it all seemed to boil down the ignition switch and its becoming a more consistent problem as these cars age.  All sorts of systems route through the ignition switch, so it made sense that carbon build-up, eroded contacts within the switch would lead to inconsistent voltage and make it all go whacko.  I ended up with a NAPA part locally after the AC Delco part I ordered off Amazon was bad, brand new out of the box.  It is a tough part to get, I figured walk into any part store and I'd be golden, turned out there were only TWO of these switches in the valley at the time.  I think the service life of this part is at its end and they just aren't staying stocked on the shelves because they are failing often now due to age.

Made the change, no codes, been perfect for months now.  Its tough to be absolute on this one, I don't know anyone other than Mr. Two Fangs who would have the savvy and wherewithal to be able to diagnose it right on the nose.  Its a bit of a leap of faith after educating yourself on the issue.  Switch was $90 as I recall, if it turns out to not be the problem then odds are it eventually will be a problem so maybe your buying peace of mind by installing a new one.

Der Commish

Thanks sounds like the switch deal is,  kind of like death and taxes.  I'll look into that. The car sits in a heated stall all winter and in my garage all summer so

it still thinks it's in AZ. LOL  I know better.  OHIO SUCKS

On 8/31/2017 at 6:00 AM, Final Effort said:

I bought Roneva's 2000 C5 about 4 yrs ago. Been trouble free.

Last Sunday I got the Traction Control and ABS. light on our way home, but it ran fine.

Today I went to drive to work It fired up as soon as I dropped it in D it stalled.

Upon restarting as soon as I let off of key it dies. Tried about 5X same results.

Does this sound like a ground problem, or that key-ign. deal?

I didn't have time this morning to check for any codes.

Thanks  Harry

Damn  Harry, sorry to hear of your trouble, especially since the warranty only expired last month!  Hope you find the problem.  Yes Ohio sucks. Left there in '90 and hope to never go back.

Ron, Isn't about time for you to get a newer Vette?  I've never had a blue one. LOL

I've seen more than a few ignition switches cause that issue. I think general motors shares that switch with other vehicles. the ignition switches on the impala and Malibu from that era have identical looking switches and the failure rate on those are notoriously high as well.

22 hours ago, Final Effort said:

Ron, Isn't about time for you to get a newer Vette?  I've never had a blue one. LOL

Eva says she will bury me and this one in the same hole!

• 1 month later...

Could also be computer connection corrosion .... I've to to do mine as well .... getting all kinds of stupid codes ... and they come and go ...

Tim (Slammer) has some experience here .... he told me that all issues were resolved after cleaning was done ...  Will get you an update when mines completed .....  However won;'t be back to AZ to take it on for a few weeks yet ......