C7 brake job

1jester

With 39,000 miles on my C7 my rotors are starting to groove. Was told by a mechanic that the material used in C7 pads and rotors is soft and the rotors cannot be turned. Must buy new rotors . Anybody have any input on this?

Don't know about the whole "soft material" thing, but the rotors do not get turned. The dealer can attempt to refinish them using rotary discs, depending on the depth of the grooves, but it is better to just replace them.

Soft cast iron vs hard cast iron. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

You just need a lathe operator who knows how to deal with an interrupted cut. The average mechanic or parts store clerk isn't a real machinist.

To increase performance and fuel economy manufacturers shave every available ounce of the static weight of a modern car, this includes the brake rotors. Used to be they would make the rotors meaty enough to turn them a couple times, thats just added dead weight you drive around with. Seem miniscule? Yes, I don't disagree, but that's the reality of government CAFE standards and manufacturers performance wars

Some grooving really isn't that unusual, shouldn't really affect your braking performance. As long as your brakes are wearing evenly I don't think you have that much of an issue, other than the aesthetic

6 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Soft cast iron vs hard cast iron. :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

You just need a lathe operator who knows how to deal with an interrupted cut. The average mechanic or parts store clerk isn't a real machinist.

And knows how to use a caliper. Couple passes on the brake lathe might take the rotor out of spec 

Heck upgrade to the ZR1 carbon ceramic setup and you'll probably never need to replace your brakes again.

5 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

To increase performance and fuel economy manufacturers shave every available ounce of the static weight of a modern car, this includes the brake rotors. Used to be they would make the rotors meaty enough to turn them a couple times, thats just added dead weight you drive around with. Seem miniscule? Yes, I don't disagree, but that's the reality of government CAFE standards and manufacturers performance wars

Some grooving really isn't that unusual, shouldn't really affect your braking performance. As long as your brakes are wearing evenly I don't think you have that much of an issue, other than the aesthetic

The C6 J55 rotors started life at 1.26" thickness and discard is 1.19". C7 rotors start at 1.18" and although I don't find the discard thickness, it's stamped on the outer edge of each rotor. If you measure the current thickness (ideally at the bottom of the grooves) and find it to be greater than 1/2 the difference between new and discard, then turning the rotors just enough to clean up will be a safe bet until your next pad replacement.

3 minutes ago, 1jester said:

As there is no C7 ZR 1, with a C6 zr1 brakes fit?

Nope. totally different animal. However the carbons are available on the C7 Z06. I'd guess if they would fit your '14 spindles, they'd probably cost somewhere around $3-4K to convert.

Wow, cheaper to trade it in. Just priced Z 51 rotors and pads from dealership and it's 1150 bucks. I guess that's the price of her toys .