1987 Corvette (for restore or parts)

Spicoli

I may end up being a "one post wonder", but I figure I'd try to find a home for my old Vette here, among people that might give it a dignified fate.

This car was my daily driver until recently, when it developed some expensive problems, and after almost 208k miles, I finally had to make the call.

It makes me sad; this was my dad's car, and the first Corvette I ever drove. I took care of it as much as I possibly could.

I intend to be very up front about its problems. The engine is going (i.e. the coolant keeps coming out brown and muddy), the radiator recently started leaking, and although the condenser fan and its wiring seem fine, the switch that turns it on is probably broken, but that's under the intake manifold, so it's expensive just to look. There are plenty of aesthetic issues; the front bumper has been skinned twice, the soft top isn't reusable (though it's still waterproof), and the interior is worn. Other than that, the car is in good shape -- I spent a small fortune over the years to keep it running. It's been consistently garaged, car-ported, or at least covered since I got it (in early 2005). It lived in California until 2010, when I moved to Arizona.

spicoli01.thumb.jpg.a16f951b56b28822ce126c0b7587d152.jpg

The corner of the bumper here is cracked; I tried to patch it up, but it's not really my field.

spicoli02.thumb.jpg.e8be9903c453b514b0a8c6a65be62393.jpg

That corner of the bumper just has someone else's paint on it.

spicoli03.thumb.jpg.142b752325749a3e3e8d427e3d028a8f.jpg

Yes, it has a tow hitch!

spicoli04.thumb.jpg.de88fddc390d84f0184a38e8cc9cd050.jpg

At least the paint still shines.

spicoli05.thumb.jpg.6314f7a7134ab2f0a32cb6f5e77f181f.jpg

The car got caught in a hailstorm while it was being repaired in Sierra Vista (so the mechanic told me).

I patched the holes with some goop I got at Michael's, so at least it doesn't leak.

The top is also fraying in the corner (see bottom right of photo). I assume the convertible top isn't reusable.

spicoli06.thumb.jpg.266e73cfcee56498c09509e6e67207dd.jpg

I've seen worse interiors in old cars.

The seats are worn, but other than the split seam visible here, they're intact.

Part of the driver's seat was re-upholstered in recent memory.

The carpet isn't even in bad shape.

The stereo and speakers were replaced in late 2014, and the sun visors were re-upholstered, and all are still in great shape.

spicoli07.thumb.jpg.30094bfeb4b1e9440f25f9e50cb053af.jpg

The rubber here has worn out. The other door's rubber is still in good shape, though.

The weatherstripping was all replaced back in 2010, and is still in good shape.

Like I said, this was a perfectly functional daily driver until recently.

spicoli08.thumb.jpg.acf066db2ade73dab30aedc996b3baf1.jpg

The view from the other door.

spicoli09.thumb.jpg.6944e92ca88b6d6818e84e2099d41fc6.jpg

One view of the engine compartment.

Other than the motor (which is probably rusting away inside), the radiator (which just started leaking), and the condenser-fan switch, everything here is functional.

The A/C works -- the blower motor was replaced last month -- but without the electric condenser fan, the car will run warm on the freeway if the A/C is on.

spicoli10.thumb.jpg.78c145c9caf2834f2e538247e024f799.jpg

Another view of the engine compartment.

The tires were replaced recently, and are still in great shape.

The car is close to drivable, but could also serve as a large reservoir of parts for someone with another 1987 Corvette.

Someone could replace the radiator and have a usable Corvette, until the engine gives out (whenever that may be), or until next summer (when you'll want the electric condenser fan to work).

I'm asking $2500, but will entertain lower offers.

I was just trying to find a better home for my beloved old Vette before hauling it off to an undignified end at some charity.

Please post replies in this forum, and if there is any serious interest, I'll share a phone number.

Bromley's Corvettes

Max is crazy cheap he probably offer like 1k for that car. Then he will try and sell it for 5k lol. 

Max said he's not taking any C4s.

Oh well, thanks anyway for the lead.

Looks like Vehicles For Veterans will be taking it.

Bromley's Corvettes

I think Larry at 20th street been same way for years dont want C-4s anymore unless free. 

Bromley's Corvettes

I had a guy offer me a running 86 for only $500 awhile ago I was not interested. 

C4's just haven't hit that collector status. There are a few models that are desirable but because of the number produced there are a lot that are just throwaways.

Add in 3 model years since then and even the C5's are getting very cheap. 

Just ask Jim :lol