So here is how I have been beating the heat

F22trainer

Quality time in the a/c preparing for cooler flying weather. Nearly finished covering the balsa frame with 1/32nd" balsa sheet. Then reassembly to check fit and function of all electrics and mechanicals.

i did an engine run up test before I started covering - all good. Yes, counter rotating propellers, no retracts or flaps. Wingspan finishes out at 40" and total weight is at 15.8 oz. ( he goal was < 17oz).

Also have a 60" span trainer I brought out of mothballs and converted from gas to electric. It just needs landing gear and we are a go.

new technology micro electrics made it possible - I've spent more $$$ buying a pair of Vette tires than the total cost of engines, servos and TX/RX (works both from iPad app) for everything

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Sweet! Love me some RC flying toys. I'm just more of a RTF guy for fear of crashing anything I put a lot of effort into. I save that for standard models or model rockets. :thumbs

1 hour ago, theChad said:

Sweet! Love me some RC flying toys. I'm just more of a RTF guy for fear of crashing anything I put a lot of effort into. I save that for standard models or model rockets. :thumbs

That moment before you launch is always a bit fearful. 

Take off is optional - landing is mandantory. And I have crashed them - usually after everything has gone well on a first or second flight, but never so bad it could not be repaired.

But I do the plastic ones too.

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

Right on!!  Have you seen this guys vlog on YouTube? Peter Sripol https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yF9tV4xWEMZkel7q8La_w

He's a huge R/C and physics geek, electronics nerd. Even built a plane out of two KFC buckets just to demonstrate the magnus force effect.

He's building a foam plane now that suppose to be able to fly in.

• Thanks 1

They could probably re-name that video "guys who will never get laid" but that would be cyber bullying and I want no part of that.........  :leaving

It is pretty cool thought!

• Haha 2

I still have this 80inch monster hanging in my den. Gotta try and sell it sooner or later. 

Was a fun hobby, but set it aside and didn't ever pick it up again. 

I also have an 88 inch bonanza unbuilt in a box here to. 

IMG_1088.thumb.JPG.a5d2dffdf86eee0df93668898fd950da.JPG

I enjoyed the building as much or more than the flying.

The Citabria above took more than a year or if evenings to build. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 7:10 AM, Desertdawg said:

I still have this 80inch monster hanging in my den. Gotta try and sell it sooner or later. 

Was a fun hobby, but set it aside and didn't ever pick it up again. 

I also have an 88 inch bonanza unbuilt in a box here to. 

IMG_1088.thumb.JPG.a5d2dffdf86eee0df93668898fd950da.JPG

I enjoyed the building as much or more than the flying.

The Citabria above took more than a year or if evenings to build. 

Howdy Dawg!

That Bonanza would make a great electric flyer, hell I'd bet retracts would be available and cheap now.

Nice looking Citrabria!

Here's some more progress:

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

• 1 month later...