Funny noise under car

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

Today I visited with Chad down at C&R to chase a problem which we never could locate.

ON my 99 FRC, going over bumps, or road irregularities, I hear something that sounds like there is someone under the car with a small hammer, tapping on the floor pan. It's over towards the passenger side, near the front of the passenger seat. But I will also add that it sometimes sounds like it is originating a little more forward, or even towards the driver side around the front of the center console (but still under the car).

Today we had it up on a lift. Me and Chad poked, prodded, used flashlights and other things, looking for any sign of something loose, and found nothing. For a while, I thought it may have been the oil pressure sending unit which I dropped down behind the engine while installing it (a story for another time). I pondered if that part was maybe somehow bouncing around under the car, maybe on the exhaust system, or somewhere else, and when things moved/flexed a bit under normal driving, maybe the sensor was making contact with the belly of the car. Wild guess, I know, but I'm stumped.

Ideas?

S.C.

Azmotorhead & I were looking for a clunking noise on my 99 FRC.  We put it up on the rack checked some stuff & couldn't find it right away. Then we dropped the car on the ground & started putting different parts of the car under more load then other areas.  We found some of the control arm bushings were the cause.  Bought a polyurethane bushing kit for the entire front end.

scottcolbath

Noted. Maybe when I do the tie rods, I'll also do the control arm bushings.

S.C.

End links on the sway bars? As I recall pre-2001 cars had nylon end links and the were prone to making a clicking noise 

scottcolbath
9 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

End links on the sway bars? As I recall pre-2001 cars had nylon end links and the were prone to making a clicking noise 

Something else to check. Thanks.

And what's with the fucking G rated sig pic?

S.C.

scottcolbath
3 hours ago, Azmotorhead said:

Ha ha funny or Peculiar funny??

Well, I'm not laughing. :cool

S.C.

scottcolbath
On 7/22/2017 at 10:41 PM, TheCMSH said:

Did my outer tie rod ends on the front, along with some fresh end links. Looks like mine were the originals. Plastic, and beat to shit.

Mystery noise is still there. :banghead

Anyway, off to see Chad tomorrow morning for an alignment at C&R.

S.C.

Make sure they are torqued properly. Plenty of reports about noisy metal end links and it's mostly about being under-torgued

scottcolbath
11 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Make sure they are torqued properly. Plenty of reports about noisy metal end links and it's mostly about being under-torgued

55 Lb/Ft, just like the shop manual says.

Also, the noise is identical. I'd surely guess that with new links, even if they were improperly torqued, would have a change in their tune, compared to the OEM junk I pulled out.

S.C.