Buffer/Polisher brand to brand comparison

Keats

7/12/2017 P.M.

I looked through the forums to see if anyone had ever done a comparison between the various brands of Polishers / Buffers. I didn't see anything like that even after I did a search.

O.K. so here's my question.

I'm looking for a quality polisher / buffer to polish my Black C5. It has some swirl marks on the hood but nothing terrible. I'm sure that they can be buffed out. I've been looking on line at all of the web sites that offer the various tools and I've got it narrowed down to the Griots 10813, and the Porter Cable 7424XP but I'm open to other quality brands as long as the price is good. The Griots 6" with a 10 Ft. cord is shown at numerious places for $149.00. Apparently this must be a fair trade item because no one has it for less. The P.C. is available for $119.00 pretty much everywhere. Then I believe that I need a "Backing plate" and of course the foam pads. ??

I know that the Rupes has a good reputation but the price is pretty high. Same for the Flex.

I am an amateur when it comes to finishing the exterior of the car. I've done washes and hand waxes etc. in the past but I've never used a power tool to do this. I heard that these polishers / buffers are Dual action - Random Orbit tools and that they are safe for an amateur like me to use without damaging the paint of my beautiful Corvette.

Does anyone have any opinions about which tool would be better at a reasonable price? Any suggestions about where I might find one at a discount? I'm open to suggestions about the brands of polishes, compounds, and waxes to use too. Mothers, Meguires? Pinnacle?

Along the same lines, I bought my car last spring from a couple here in Phoenix and they had just washed it using a De-ionized Water system so there were no water spots. It was great.

This may be the next item in my garage and I could use tips or clues about brands and prices..

Thanks in advance...

Keats

Arizona :cool

This has been a topic, but that was many moons and software upgrades ago, its time for a re-up of this since previous discussions are probably flushed away into the cybervoid

Ted, Bob, Wills, etc., y'all fire away

The Griot's 6" rates well.  I've owned a Porter Cable since my first minivan 20 yrs ago...they do vibrate a little.   I added a Flex which is the "cadillac" of DA polishers but overkill for most. It's a joy to use but $$.    My favorite is my Griot's cordless polisher.  No cords to get in the way and compact.  When I traveled over weekends for work I'd bring it along and find a shade tree and polish away.

2 hours ago, Keats said:

Do they ever go on sale anywhere?

Watch:

www.autogeek.com, Autopia.com, Chemicalguys.com.  Some of these sites put product on Amazon from time to time for a few dollars less.

insatiableOne

Ammo nyc has many a utube on them.

The best is Rupes hands down, atleast that is what every top teir detailer, I have ever watched uses. I have a Griots Garage 6" comes in next as far as many an expert opinion. That is if you don't want to burn the paint. 

Second auto-geek..  http://www.autogeek.net/

I've used the porter cable the last 4 years or so for full corrections and its an awesome machine for the money, but it can beat up your hands for sure. I recently upgraded to the Adam's polishes swirl killer and its a big upgrade! my hands didn't take a beating at all and very easy to handle. I was able to use my pads I had from my porter cable as well. I use only Adam's products currently since they work the best for me.

Bromley's Corvettes

We use the Porter Cable polisher all the time works great. I bought the kit with different pads and cleaner and a black bag to store everything in keep it clean. Amazon :) 

Griots' and Meguiars have lifetime warranties.

I've used a Porter Cable for over fifteen years and it is a workhorse.

They all go on sale.  Just need to be quick.

Amazon usually has the PC on sale at least once a quarter.

JLs Mistress

I have the Griots' and use Meguiars  works well .. But know I use   Ted Yoder :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs  he also owns a C5 .. Keep it in the family I always say...

I learned to polish using a PC without fear of burning the paint and I've had mine for about 4 yrs now.

Guest badbobs95

There are basically two types of D/A polishers. The Porter Cable is OK but it along with most of the others are not "direct drive" meaning when you push down it oscillates but it stops spinning. These are typically around $100. The Flex is a direct drive and does the work much faster but these run around $400. If you want to get into this there's a direct drive by Shurhold that is $200 but I've never used one. Their reviews are pretty good though. It just depends on how much you want to invest and how often you will use it. Then you have the cost of supply's, pads, and a lot of time.  Best of luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shurhold-Dual-Action-Polisher-Pro-3500/192169426565

I have the Shurhold and have been very happy with it.

Since I’m no pro and don’t do paint correction for a living,I wanted to keep cost reasonable,but still achieve nice results.

Get a Flex or go home. In 10 years of polishing other people's cars, I've yet to try a better product.

Guest badbobs95
8 hours ago, Ted Y said:

Get a Flex or go home. In 10 years of polishing other people's cars, I've yet to try a better product.

You convinced me the Flex was the way to go about 6 years ago and you were right. After doing around 300 cars mine was running a little rough. Sent it in and they rebuilt everything, even put a new cord on it and returned it to me like it was new. I only use a rotary for large flat surfaces after spraying new clear coat. But the learning curve is not an easy one with a rotary. Whatever you buy, make sure it is a dual action and still be very careful until you are comfortable using it. And always clay bar the car first so you don't make things worse.

I bet BadBob had/has one of these!   I purchased this one 40 years ago for $35.00 used.  I just plugged it in and pulled the trigger.....oh, how the memories come back!!!   I cannot remember what I last used it on but the 36 grit disk has remnants of paint.  :lol

IMG_7231.JPG

• Haha 1

I learned with a rotory polisher way back when. But I leaned on an old jeep so it didn't matter.

But I did learn how to make one work good enough to use on a Vette. 

Now it's put away except for those big time corrections.

For a home hack I've stuck with a porter cable all these years.