Woke up to this

insatiableOne

insatiableOne

Went out to start my car + clean windows. To this b.s.  ( top of driver door)

So now I get to learn fiberglass repair. 

IMG_0514.JPG

insatiableOne

I am guessing either my shady neighbor  with a visitor -car door. or some bored youth being a POS.  

Either way I will just keep off of carfax and fix it myself. No time to learn like the present. 

insatiableOne

not enough paint, and no one has it on stock! :banghead

have to order it :( 

paintshop missing one color

both chevy dealerships take 7-10 days ( or two weeks) 

Mid American MotorWorks 

1 oz bottle $39.99

+ $15.99 shipping 

$55.98 total ......... 

+ about $50 this morning at paint store

not to mention already have tools and stacks of sand paper, reducer, buffers and all.

Wait..

insatiableOne

Paint supposed to arrive Saturday, and wiped out buffing pads on my moms car. They are commig Sunday.

Mesa is tooo far to drive after being up forever then working all morning to get to this stage. 

Have not heard ofSpace Ageuntil I looked them up. Might keep them in mind if they weren't about a three plus hour round trip.

Probably should degrease, then hit with a light scuff, light primer coat, resand then paint? And clear.

Can't wait to see how it turns out. 

I did my daughters eff wonfidy years ago. Step side bed both rear bottom corners and it came out great. 

94transamgt
16 hours ago, insatiableOne said:

Paint supposed to arrive Saturday, and wiped out buffing pads on my moms car. They are commig Sunday.

Mesa is tooo far to drive after being up forever then working all morning to get to this stage. 

Have not heard ofSpace Ageuntil I looked them up. Might keep them in mind if they weren't about a three plus hour round trip.

Probably should degrease, then hit with a light scuff, light primer coat, resand then paint? And clear.

Looks good so far. Not sure what you used for a filler, they make a special SMC repair compound. I have never done a repair quite like this but I would scuff around the repair area, spray a sealer over the repair and into surrounding area. Let dry and wet sand the sealer so it's a smooth transition. Scuff the whole door. Degrease  and tack the whole door. Then spray base coat on the repair area until it is covered, then blend into the surrounding area. Remember to spray your last coat (control coat) almost dry so you don't have streaks and the metallic sets on top. Let this dry and then clear coat the whole door, I usually do three coats so I can cut and buff any debris / orange peel out. You can spot clear an area, but factory clear coat is so thin you may burn through when buffing out the clear on a spot repair. That is why I clear the whole panel or door in your case.

• Upvote 1

insatiableOne

Week has come

Mid American Motorworks screwed the pooch. Said they shipped my paint off to someone else and trying to get it back. 

Sent email, no reply.

Second time trying to call them, said might take a week or two or who knows (whenever they get a shipment in). 

I mentioned that this is unacceptable, he (Mark) said he would ship me a $20.00 gift card. Told him to keep it and refund my money. Have no intention of ever giving them any business in the future. 

So now just going to go to GM tomorrow after work. wait another two weeks or so. 

Space Age is just plain too far to drive. Fuel cost more than the paint.

94transamgt
4 hours ago, insatiableOne said:

Week has come

Mid American Motorworks screwed the pooch. Said they shipped my paint off to someone else and trying to get it back. 

Sent email, no reply.

Second time trying to call them, said might take a week or two or who knows (whenever they get a shipment in). 

I mentioned that this is unacceptable, he (Mark) said he would ship me a $20.00 gift card. Told him to keep it and refund my money. Have no intention of ever giving them any business in the future. 

So now just going to go to GM tomorrow after work. wait another two weeks or so. 

Space Age is just plain too far to drive. Fuel cost more than the paint.

I just reread your post, you may have dodged a bullet on that paint. Touch up paint usually is glossy to match the clear coated paint. You need base coat, any autobody place should be able to mix it on the spot. You will likely not be able to buy less than a pint.

You will likely have color match issues and possibly adhesion issues if you try to spray and clear coat touch up paint.

• 3 weeks later...
insatiableOne

Still no ( I think base for the paint, and all of it is nearly $700 a quart :blink

In the meantime hate to admit, never wander something and not expect an answer.

Worked a triple shift, drove home top off. Parked, went to bed, got up for 2nd job a Couple hours later. Driving  to work.. heard an unusual sound. Sounded like it was emitting from the ac ducts. Looking, looking, looking some more, sped up to just under 55 mph whoosh! Top blew off, yep didn't think to look up. Said please Lord don't be destroyed as I watched it spiral into the air like a playing card. And no turn around, shocked by the event, and ent through light and made uturn (about a block) that took me about 20 seconds and stopped mid traffic, ran through median into oncoming traffic before someone not paying attention ran it over.

Proof...... pretty embarrassing this is!

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

insatiableOne

So here is some damage control. Remember no paint available. So asked for a close match, all they had was bahama blue ( no jetsream blue) in a rattle can. The roof looks pretty good now. The door, well it sort of stands out, but is not primered and is sort of blue. Straightened the passenger molding by placing a piece of thin barstock in channel and hammering straight on my anvil with deadblow mallet. All they had were rattle can paint, so went with what was available. 

Oh and those roadrash marks in person looks as if a lion got to my roof. They were pretty deep.

So next time reading on the big forum, don't wander how the.... did they do that! Just don't. 

Oh, and I have to thank God for asking for his help in fixing something I have never done before!!

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

I think  when either I can find my color, or when it comes in. This vandalism will look much better. The roof actually blends in as if it was color matched. 

Need some painting lessons as I have never used a paint gun before. Have tried my airbrush a few times for rock chips. 

I am done with any more bad luck, had my fill for a couple few decades.

Wowzers man

You are now a member of an elite club known as the FRC. The Flying Roof Club. Though I have not been admitted, many before you blazed that trail. 

Hang in there!   :thumbs

insatiableOne
5 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

Wowzers man

You are now a member of an elite club known as the FRC. The Flying Roof Club. Though I have not been admitted, many before you blazed that trail. 

Hang in there!   :thumbs

Yep.

Almost cried.

Thankfully  it was not in splinters!