Buying my first Corvette

rvwoods

Hello,

I'm Bob, and hoping to purchase my first corvette soon, either a C5 Z06 or C6 Z51.  Been looking for a while, and have a couple of prospects on the west side I hope to look at this weekend.  Any recommendations for a shop in the west valley that could help with a pre-sale inspection?  

Thanks, 

Bob

scottcolbath

Hey Bob, welcome to the monkey house.

I can't recommend anyone. I do all my own work. I'd suggest reading the Corvette forums and note all the well documented "gotchas" you need to be aware of, and take that information with you to any car you look at.

S.C.

I'd go with a C6 GS instead of the Z51. You essentially are getting all the goodies of a Z06 without the 427.  If you get a manual, you'll also get a 10.5qt dry sump system.  Unfortunately, I can't recommend a shop for an inspection, other than AZMotorhead. 

Azmotorhead

Bob if you need a pre purchase insp. I can help you out.

Give me a call

480 213 7616

Guest badbobs95
3 hours ago, Azmotorhead said:

Bob if you need a pre purchase insp. I can help you out.

Give me a call

480 213 7616

Oh no!!!!!!!  That's your top secret cell phone #. Teeheehee

Azmotorhead
18 hours ago, badbobs95 said:

Oh no!!!!!!!  That's your top secret cell phone #. Teeheehee

Don't worry Bob I still have your number blocked

Guest badbobs95
19 hours ago, Azmotorhead said:

Don't worry Bob I still have your number blocked

That's it, I'm getting a new #!!!!!!

I agree with the GS choice for C6, avoid the stock skinny C6 if possible.  I recently got a C5Z because they're just amazing cars and I've had 1000rwhp C6s etc.  The C5Z is just such a well done car.

scottcolbath
21 hours ago, Drewstein said:

I agree with the GS choice for C6, avoid the stock skinny C6 if possible.  I recently got a C5Z because they're just amazing cars and I've had 1000rwhp C6s etc.  The C5Z is just such a well done car.

Aside from that extra bump in power, what do you like about the C5Z compared to my FRC? I've thought about hanging on to my car long enough to toss in an LS2 engine somewhere down the road, so it would have that Z06 power.

S.C.

22 minutes ago, scottcolbath said:

Aside from that extra bump in power, what do you like about the C5Z compared to my FRC? I've thought about hanging on to my car long enough to toss in an LS2 engine somewhere down the road, so it would have that Z06 power.

S.C.

My reply was to Bob about the C5Z vs. C6 base but I love FRCs and my first vette was a '99 FRC.  The biggest difference is a newer car with refinements in things like EBCM that are obsolete for pre '01 C5s.  I wouldn't sell a FRC for a C5Z personally unless it had other issues of being old and worn.

Your car can make Z power and then some with a torquer cam and headers.  I would consider ported 243 heads and then enjoy the snot out of the car.  The difference in HP from the FRC to Z is a tiny cam and the 243 heads which can easily be surpassed.

My car may have low 400rwhp but I didn't have a problem keeping up with a C6 ZR1 or modded C6Z going to Prescott for example.  They would beat me in a race but it's not super obvious when doing spirited driving in such a great car like the FRC or C5Z.

scottcolbath

I love the FRC as is. Hopefully it never actually gives me reason to do an engine swap. I see a C6 GS in my future. A long way off, but i like that car. For now, I'm happy with what is more or less a stock FRC.

S.C.

the biggest and really the only downside to the grand sport... tires are twice the price for half the mileage. for sheer fun factor the c5z would be top choice, best bang for the buck if that's your priority, the c6 is more refined and perhaps a bit more enjoyable on the street, id say a c6 z51 or slap some z06 shocks and sway bars on a base c6 and you'd have a happy medium.

Happy to say I am the proud new owner of MadMax's C6.  It is a great car with widebody kit, Z51 suspension, Z06 style wheels, and a bunch of cool detail work.  Thanks to everyone on the forum for your great advice & info, especially AZMotorhead, and of course MadMax for putting together such a nice car.  Look forward to seeing you all at some of your get-togethers.  Bob

20170419_194313.jpg

20170419_194259-01.jpeg

I almost linked his ad in here.  That's a great looking C6.  Much better than the narrow body and all the work done for you.  Congrats!

JLs Mistress

Congrads on your purchase and welcome to :ACE:. Hope to see you at the two upcoming ACE events..Thats a good time to show your your baby ..

• 2 weeks later...