No Vette content...Power Companies SRP or APS?

JohnU

New home owner here with a simple question.   Who's the better power company...SRP or APS.  The real estate listing of the new place listed APS so I filled out their eform and sent it off.  A while later I see a house down the street listed Salt River Power.    I've never lived where you had a choice of power. 

Normally you do not have a choice. It is who ever services your neighborhood.

JLs Mistress

I have had both but was never able to pick which one . Didn't  you purchase a Condo I would think they would all be on the same one.

Some newer areas do have redundant feeds but like Joe said, typically no choice in the matter

23 minutes ago, JLs Mistress said:

I have had both but was never able to pick which one . Didn't  you purchase a Condo I would think they would all be on the same one.

The other condo we looked at in a complex across the street is hooked up to the other one.   So the companies play rock, paper, scissors when a new development is built.  Both of these were built in the mid 80's.

JLs Mistress

I could see the street being the dividing factor. In My area SRP provide service and APS has the service on the street light ????

So we have two suppliers pumping wattage through the same lines and we pay to the one who's name on our meter.   I assume public policy keeps their price the same.

thanks for the education!

JU

SRP is an old school quasi government supplier.  They provided irrigation water for farmers and then power for their pumps

APS is a for profit company regulated by the state

SRP is cheaper but again you have no choice

For about the last 20 years you could pick your power producer. You don't have a choice of companies who deliver it though. You'll get two bills. Hardly anyone does it, because it's easier to deal with one company. Joe's Wind Farm (fictitious name) in Idaho will sell you power for less than APS and then APS will deliver it to you.

EDIT: see my next post.

Thanks everyone.  Contrary to popular opinion .....Corvette owners do know a lot, especially the ACE pool of knowledge.   :thumbs 

For what's it worth, I've had APS for 35 years and have never had a problem with them but, I've never had a choice. 

OK, sorry for the post last night, because AZ is not one of the States that has completed the utility deregulation process. The Feds passed legislation in 1992 and several States came on board by 2000. AZ put deregulation on hold in 2014, so until we bitch enough to our leaders, it'll stay on hold.