"A" Arm Cleaning?

Grape Ape

I noticed yesterday that my "A" arms and spindle knuckles are showing their age. They're almost 19 years old now. How would I get them to showroom clean? I have a high speed and air so that's what I was going to use. My question is, would I use a sanding disc, a scotch bright disc or what??? What is the best way?  Chemicals? They don't need to be shiny, see yourself bright. I just want them cleaner. I'm sure it's not going to be something I can or want to do in one day. I'll just do one per week but might have spend a weekend on that one. I think you get what I'm looking for. Quick is not in this process. Just let me know what whomever has done something like this with aluminium has used and works. I can take them off if need be but would rather do this on the car to avoid an alignment again. Plus it will be something I can do without a lift since I don't have one.

Thanks

1998%20Corvette%20-%2001142%20-%20Car%20

I'm betting a good, old fashioned, SOS pad would do it but definitely will take some elbow grease.  At least you'll be able to control the messy part of it better that way.  There used to be a product called Alumabrite (I believe) that was a spray

Thanks for the tips. I may try them all and see what works the best. I don't mind a little elbow grease. I don't have a pressure washer so may have to borrow my son-in-laws. I'll post the results when I get something done with them.

2 hours ago, badbobs95 said:

About time you started cleaning up that poor car!:smilelol :smilelol

Had to. You don't have "Corvette Monday's" anymore...

2 hours ago, Kahuna1 said:

if you want to practice - ill drop mine off

I'll let you know how well mine turn out. I'd hate to F**K UP someone else's car if my system doesn't pan out. Went and bought some "STUFF" so we'll see if I can get some time this next weekend to try it.

22 hours ago, old yeller said:

Try a small spot first of "bar keepers friend".  It cleans very well.

I've heard of that stuff. Can I get it local or is it Internet order?

Well, they say Google is your friend. I just asked my "friend" about bar keepers friend and see it's at wally world or home depot. So it is local. I'll pick some up on my way home from work tomorrow. Thanks.

3 hours ago, mrhusker said:

Well, they say Google is your friend. I just asked my "friend" about bar keepers friend and see it's at wally world or home depot. So it is local. I'll pick some up on my way home from work tomorrow. Thanks.

Most ACE Hardware have it also 

A dollar something a can at Walmart in the household cleaning area.

I would also think that a pH neutral rim cleaner will be good, such as something leavened all-wheel cleaner. I'd also hit it with some steam if it's stubborn.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I do have a steamer so if needed I'll give that a try also. I'll have to check and see what rim cleaners I have around.

2 hours ago, Ted Y said:

I would also think that a PhD neutral rim cleaner will be good, such as something leavened all-wheel cleaner. I'd also hit it with some steam if it's stubborn.

I’ve used that on intake manifolds and other aluminum things,just watch your surrounding parts and pieces as it may stain painted parts.

3 hours ago, y2krtaf said:

I’ve used that on intake manifolds and other aluminum things,just watch your surrounding parts and pieces as it may stain painted parts.

If the wheel cleaner is marked "Safe for all wheels" it shouldn't hurt paint. It's essentially detergent based.

• Upvote 1

Be extra careful when using chemical cleaners to avoid getting any on the composite springs, since it attacks the resin and they'll fail in short order.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to cover what I can also.

insatiableOne

working in the alluminum profession almost 20 years. 

We used a light acid, brush lightly then wash immediately. Manifolds and such with alot of stubburn they like a hard acid, and sit a bit. 

Might want to heed HOXXOH warnings with the springs.

Keep the scotch brite off it unless you need a mate finish + scotch brite likes some sort of liquid, unless you like scour marks. (at the final stages that is)

I use nevr-dull also ..unless it is bad. Then just get out the sand paper, after the road grit is off. Just sand until you want to  stop, then clear, or put some sort of polish to seal it if you plan on polishing again, ifnot clear it and call it a day. 

Good luck

eye protection..

Edit:

Looking closer, those don't appear to be smooth castings, so sanding would be a nightmare. 

Try some Gunk then give it a go with the roloc disc, or softer wire wheel. See what happens. Try on a spot on bottom first. 

Thanks, I'll try to be extra careful with what I use. Haven't decided on what yet. Might not be able to get to it until next weekend or two.

Got a little "ME" time today and decided to start on this cleaning thing. Looks much better then it did I tell ya. I didn't realize it was as bad as it was. I'll be happy with it for a while now but still need to get the front done. Maybe next weekend I'll be able to do that. Lots of work for something you can't really see. My wife thinks I'm nuts...:facepalm:

Used the SOS pads and the foaming bubble Fantastik spray and a small wire brush in some places I couldn't get my fingers into. Spent a few hours on it and it worked pretty good. I didn't take the calipers off but will need to if I plan on getting behind them. Might not happen anytime soon. My hands are frickin' sore...:blink

001.thumb.jpg.7da779d62921b54de6d78b25a00213d0.jpg

Went from this kind of ugly:

010.thumb.jpg.1be31c9d8ea52c40e96227c9468dcc83.jpg

011.thumb.jpg.6f0fa74594915ccf1549a2f32dd480a7.jpg

To THIS:

017.thumb.JPG.a817ecbf3b9a92fab07ebf16000dc4f8.JPG

030.thumb.JPG.b7b70acf0d93d9f9ab9b1ef6e741cf9f.JPG

The drivers side:

028.thumb.JPG.0409498e5d329f4d3e56e838831beb33.JPG