Garage Time! Yea!!!

Ted Y

So, due to a scheduling change for this week only, I actually had two days at home. By myself! I scheduled myself a break so I could finally spend some time with my own car for once. I've now had this car for over six years and I still enjoy it every time I drive it. But, it needed some love. it's due for some attention. Here's what I did:

This is the engine bay as I opened it before doing anything. Although I regularly wipe it down, the surfaces get dull, greasy, and dusty. Plus, I desperately needed to clean the radiator and condenser. No time like the end of Summer, right?

SAM_2180_zps6q89dn82.jpg

Another thing was to change the clutch fluid. I was getting a hanging clutch pedal on the on-ramps. Easy fix, thanks to the Ranger method.

SAM_2181_zpschcautbh.jpg

Next, remove the Calloway intake and radiator cover. Look at all that dirt. Shameful!

SAM_2182_zpsrdnql9hc.jpg

SAM_2185_zpslj9o9ajv.jpg

Cover up the sensitive bits and get to washing! A good, long wand comes in handy if you know what I mean. I got out so much sand, I had to clean the garage floor afterward.

SAM_2186_zpsmjr9ogs0.jpg

After everything was cleaned out of the radiator and condenser, I broke out the All Purpose Cleaner, assortment of brushes and the Vapor Chief steam cleaner to get the dirt and grime off the engine, hoses, and bits. The nice thing about the steamer, is it doesn't blast the electronics with water. It's a very low humidity steam that breaks down dirt and grease along with the APC.

SAM_2190_zps6tt6sjgf.jpg

A nice coat of "Natural Shine" low gloss trim detailer and it looks like it left the showroom floor 14 years ago.

SAM_2193_zpsoaoen0b5.jpg

SAM_2202_zps4lttnrtc.jpg

Next post...The interior!

Although the carpet is black, I'm not sure the last time (if ever) it's been shampoo'd and hot water extracted. The nice thing about the carpet cleaner is that I can see the dirt come out. Black carpets get dirty, folks. And any grease and oil from your garage floor and parking lots makes your carpet look dull and the fibers lay down.

After I cleaned the carpets, seats, dash and trim. The floor mats were still damp and drying.

SAM_2196_zpseojgy3l0.jpg

SAM_2199_zpsybcymrmz.jpg

SAM_2200_zpsy5vjz6ks.jpg

• Upvote 1

The exterior was then clean and clay barred, ready for buffing on day two. Although it was not visible in previous photos, there were scratches from a trip to a shop and very minor swirl marks creeping in. Here we are after a cutting compound and polishing (prior to any Optimum Gloss Coat). I have another step to do first!

SAM_2203_zpsw6q7fi53.jpg

SAM_2205_zpsxpaxwtg6.jpg

SAM_2207_zpskcm3q99k.jpg

SAM_2208_zpsfigxmyxb.jpg

Next up: Paint chip repair.

• Upvote 1

I invested in a Dr. Colorchip kit for my Millennium Yellow 2002 original paint that was showing some road rash and paint chips. I followed the instructions and did some trial and error. I think the kit works fine and my advice is to apply the touch up paint  as thin as possible to minimize the clean up after the paint has filled the chips. 

Here is some kind of chip on the hood and the right headlight. There were about twenty chips I repaired. I think they came out very well.

SAM_2210_zpsw7kyf3ve.jpg

SAM_2211_zps97ysd91d.jpg

Here are the example chips fixed. The hood chip that was circular looked like this after one application. It's barely visible in the center. I applied a second coat of Dr. Colorchip touch up to it and now I have to actually look for it, instead of it staring me in the face every time I see the hood.

SAM_2212_zpspivmxnm6.jpg

Here is the right headlight cover after the touch up:

SAM_2213_zpsbxsk12ua.jpg

Again, It's not hassle free and takes time and finesse, but it's 100 times easier than trying to dab factory or dealer supplied touch up paint.

After a final wipe down with an IPA solution and application of Optimum Gloss Coat, the Yelozee is ready for another 18-24 months of hassle free washes with no waxing necessary!

SAM_2214_zps5nafec3k.jpg

SAM_2216_zpsagwdslxe.jpg

SAM_2218_zpsipnlaxhm.jpg

SAM_2220_zpsblbifqx4.jpg

SAM_2222_zpshdtrf1tm.jpg

With all the buffing you do is your right forearm more muscular than your left?  You should swap it up occasionally

So which kit did you use?  I see more than one on the website.  I have a lot of # 2 pencil lead size and smaller specs on my Z and have been looking for something besides blotches of touchup.  I had a plastic garbage can come flying out of a pickup truck bed at 80mph last month.  It bounced off my front bumper and cracked the vent and turn signal mounts so the bumper is getting replaced.  Since that'll be looking good I need to touch up the hood area.  Dr Colorchips sounds like the right stuff.

Are your stripes Paint or Vinyl decal?

I got the squeegee kit, plus extra brushes and wiping cloths. I got all bases covered. I liked pouring a small drop on the squeegee and wiping it across one or two chips. Larger ones need a the finger swipe method.