No Fly Zone Gila Bend

bumpin96monte

35 minutes ago, FNBADAZ06 said:

Yep, McCormack !!! Thanks :)

The 315 and the 275 are about the same from a sidewall perspective, and I ran the 315's the last time as well. 275 are advertised to be 4 lbs lighter, though ;-)

I hooked on a reasonably prepped track with the 315 before.......I might try the 28/10.0/17 bias ply Hoosier slick when I finally step up to the spray.

These are strictly for my 1/4 drag racing...I'll use a different tire for 1/2 events.

Don't forget to check gearing vs tire size based on your estimated max MPH. A tall enough tire might allow tripping the light at the stripe in 3rd. Or a short one to get more time in 4th.

4 minutes ago, HOXXOH said:

Don't forget to check gearing vs tire size based on your estimated max MPH. A tall enough tire might allow tripping the light at the stripe in 3rd. Or a short one to get more time in 4th.

Yep....I'll start looking into this when I get closer to spraying. Depending on how quickly I can ramp in the spray, and at what percentage on the initial hit, I may have enough power to pull the 28"

Drag strip is boring to me. Omega has a much higher caliber of cars, faster, and the really fast stuff are still street cars not lexan, old stuff that makes a stupid amount of noise and maybe runs a 9 or 10, but most seem to go 11's. Oh and not having to wait forever to make a run and you can have a passenger... Yup sign me up for that over wild horse any day. Omega, shifs3ctor, ti, etc are the type of events I'm interested in. And they do digs and rolls btw. 

I wish/hope that future runway events (that are more race oriented) start using starting and timing equipment. For those who are truly interested in racing, a more precise means of starting the race are needed...honking off or trying to match speeds and starts at the cones doesn't work for cars that are more evenly matched. Essentially, a 1/2 mile drag race.

For doing terminal speed stuff (not racing per se), it would be cool to have an entry speed timer if the event is not a standing start event.... hitting the cones at "60 mph" and running 175 thru the 1/2 timer, while fun, isn't a very effective measuring stick.

I like both types of events, but 1/4 mile drag strip racing involves driver skill and car prep/adjusting. If you suck at either, it might not be very much fun.

On 9/19/2016 at 8:56 AM, FNBADAZ06 said:

I wish/hope that future runway events (that are more race oriented) start using starting and timing equipment. For those who are truly interested in racing, a more precise means of starting the race are needed...honking off or trying to match speeds and starts at the cones doesn't work for cars that are more evenly matched. Essentially, a 1/2 mile drag race.

For doing terminal speed stuff (not racing per se), it would be cool to have an entry speed timer if the event is not a standing start event.... hitting the cones at "60 mph" and running 175 thru the 1/2 timer, while fun, isn't a very effective measuring stick.

I like both types of events, but 1/4 mile drag strip racing involves driver skill and car prep/adjusting. If you suck at either, it might not be very much fun.

:agree  Without any defined method to classify cars into groups and only one method of measurement, the NFZ is simply a long flat version of dyno rollers for a moving exhibition of horsepower.

I'm sure some of the big HP guys like it, since it's something they can't do with their car in many other places. Unfortunately, the lack of comparative competition would leave me without a feeling of accomplishment, due to the lack of a goal. With 1/4 mile drags, there are several measurements being recorded and a method to compare your results with other similarly equipped cars in far away places. Having established records as goals is an incentive to excel.

Tom go look at how shifts3ctor is setup before saying this, NFZ is just for fun yes but the others have classes, very strict starting rules for digs and rolls. And it's not prepped. This type of racing absolutely requires skill if you make any type of real power. 

1 hour ago, joe@cpr.com said:

Tom go look at how shifts3ctor is setup before saying this, NFZ is just for fun yes but the others have classes, very strict starting rules for digs and rolls. And it's not prepped. This type of racing absolutely requires skill if you make any type of real power. 

I was only talking about NFZ, so my comments don't apply to other venues. I've looked at other stuff and still don't have that much interest in getting a MPH to go along with a dyno sheet vs a timeslip. Then again, I don't have one of those high caliber cars that make real power. It's just a puny home-brewed LS3 bolton base car that dynoed 394 and runs 10's.  :lol

If you enjoyed that MPH coming home from Sac that year, you might enjoy this type of "racing" too. It's not really a defined race, but the ability to run up past 150+ without threat of jail time is appealing :)

It's still an adrenaline rush !!!!

20 hours ago, FNBADAZ06 said:

If you enjoyed that MPH coming home from Sac that year, you might enjoy this type of "racing" too. It's not really a defined race, but the ability to run up past 150+ without threat of jail time is appealing :)

It's still an adrenaline rush !!!!

I've been past 150 quite a few times, but nowhere near as many times as you. :smilelol However, after providing the CHP with additional funding for 97 in a 70, I restrict my high speed runs to desolate areas where no one, including LEO's are traveling. My GPS is all the documentation I ever cared about, but now that I think about it, I need to clear the 174 that's still on there. :yesnod

Just about have everything ready for the event.  Upgraded to z51 front rotors.  Dropped a pulley size on the blower and switched from 50/50 boost juice to straight meth - just got the tune touched up on the dyno this morning by NicD.

Only a few more things left on the to do list.

NFZ = pure fun

1/4 = pure frustration

That's my opinion. There are way too many factors for roll racing, rear end gearing, rpm, mph, trans gear, tire etc. Whoever is in their powerband when you take off usually wins. Drag racing has always been the true measure of racing, but it takes fine adjustments after fine adjustments so I see how many people can get frustrated with it.

Roll racing was invented by people who don't necessarily want to deal with those adjustments and just want to slam the gas pedal and go, and whoever argues against that is just lying to themselves. Don't get me wrong, I roll race all the time, but I understand that in order to truly say I won a race, it has to be at the dragstrip.

With all that said, see yall at the NFZ and the dragstrip the week after!

^^Agreed^^ Standing starts off an electronic light system or arm drop is the only way to do it...be it 1/8 , 1/4, 1/2, 1, or 1.5 mile "races". You also have to have a defined finish line or target speed to quantify a "race".

If all you're looking for is top terminal speed, that's fine....any kind of start is acceptable. As soon as you include "race"....

Well I was going to be a spectator. Turned into the airport and my phone rang.

Off to work for me again. Post some pictures !!!

On 10/8/2016 at 11:16 AM, Desertdawg said:

Well I was going to be a spectator. Turned into the airport and my phone rang.

Off to work for me again. Post some pictures !!!

Cell phone - the work's shortest leash  :(

bumpin96monte

Had a good time Saturday.  Ended up leaving a few hours early since it was so hot out, but I still got in some good runs through the day.  Two of the races were against Z06s, one DSOM (or AO?), one yellow.

Had a lot of variety out there!  Definitely considering doing it again in December for the cooler weather.