Air Conditioner Recommendations?

theChad

I think I need a shop that knows Air Conditioning to take a look at mine.

I've been limping my C5 A/C along for the better part of a year now.  After some extremely spirited (high-rev) driving at the end of last summer, the A/C compressor, when engaged, clicks or ticks and sounds like an extremely noisy lifter tick. It's loud! The funny thing is that the A/C still blows cold as ice and doesn't make any noise when the A/C is off.

I'm not sure if it's wise to replace it now in the event it grenades and dirties up the entire system, or just let it grenade and fix it all later. I need someone that knows A/C to tell me what my options are, and what those cost now vs. later.  It doesn't seem to be getting any louder since it started, so maybe whatever's making the noise isn't getting any worse either and won't grenade at all. Maybe the clutch will just die and not cause any internal mess.

Thanks!

If memory is correct lots of clicking means low of freon inside.   It will click normally just not continually.

That's what I originally thought too, but that's typically in conjunction with random moments of blowing hot air.  And I can watch the clutch and see that it's not engaging / disengaging rapidly, which is what I would think you'd typically observe with low freon.  

It blows cold, and the clutch is engaged. The ticking frequency even increases & decreases with RPM.  

I think I've got one of those fancy Rev matching A/C compressor clutches like what's in the new C7's. :lol

old yeller

Classic Gold or see if Bromley's will work on a C-5.

Talk to Doug ^ or Joe (classic gold). Either one will take care of ya!