So, it has begun.......

FNBADAZ06

FNBADAZ06 finally made it over to CPR to begin the engine rebuild process. CPR got the engine pulled quickly so the short block is ready to make its way to WFO for the rebuild :)

Car is back home resting peacefully, minus her heart.

The inspection process will hopefully show that the rods, crank, and block are in good shape. Hopefully a decking will get me a flat mating surface again for the heads and I can concentrate on the rotating assembly. Forged pistons and ARP hardware to hold it all together at minimum. I'm probably going to bring the compression up to a full 12:1 with the new pistons, since the K501 camshaft won't create as much dynamic compression as the 110 did with my 11.6:1 setup. A new Mamo ported MSD Airforce intake is sitting in the garage as well, which will replace my current FAST 102. I'll update the thread as new info comes in, but hoping she's back on the road in 60 days or so.

WP_20160513_12_44_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20160513_12_44_22_Pro.jpg

13177473_701184010019959_1029938427770895936_n.jpg

13179053_701184000019960_889999012419454918_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, joe@cpr.com said:

still will get smashed by an alpha setup :P j/k love you man. 

I'll be sure to put on my helmet and mouth piece when I'm being picked on by an alpha setup......'cause Alpha male here :burnout:ok: :neener_neener:

joe@cpr.com
23 minutes ago, Desertdawg said:

Updates ??? 

motor is at our machine shop and should be assessed and torn down in the next day or so. 

Excellent news today :)

Crank, rods, and block checked out OK....cylinders needed a slight bore (.005, I think is what Joe said), but was expected at 78K miles. Block has been squared and decked, and I dropped off my heads at CPR so that everything can be measured so that the forged pistons to be ordered.

Yay !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty.......

block is squared and flat again.....deck height is set at 9.235"

The combustion chambers were measured at 66.5 cc's, so Joe is ordering up a set of Wiseco forged pistons with 12:1 compression. Piston skirts will get the friction coating option, as will all the bearings for the rotating assembly. ARP hardware will be used to button everything back up.

I got lucky and scored a full Akrapovic EVO titanium exhaust, so my ZR1 catback and titanium x-pipe came out and was sold.

A ported MSD will be going on in place of my FAST 102.

slowly but surely, it's coming back together :)

Yay !!!!

At 12:1 will it handle our gas or will you have to do something to handle the knocking...or is it going E85?

Going back to E85, but the new camshaft is going to bleed off compression at the lower RPM's, so my calculated dynamic compression will be lower than my original Torquer 110 setup :) I'll be able to get by on 91 pump when needed, but I won't be making the full power potential...which is the same thing I did on my original setup as well.

• 1 month later...

Yay !!!! Custom pistons have arrived :) ATI damper, new PSI-1511ML springs, and K501 camshaft should be here beginning of next week. CPR has scheduled for my car to be in the shop the first week of September for reassembly. It should be up and running the first part of September :)

13882073_517514828442568_5620193862437709992_n.jpg

joe@cpr.com

not to late to switch to an alpha cam that performs better than a k501 in every aspect and drives nicer ;) 

Short block is built :)

Deliver the new valve springs to Kelly tomorrow so the heads can be put back together, then I sit idle for a few weeks until the car gets loaded up for a return trip to CPR for the install.

YAY !!!!

On 8/6/2016 at 7:07 AM, joe@cpr.com said:

not to late to switch to an alpha cam that performs better than a k501 in every aspect and drives nicer ;) 

Are you not interested to see how the K501 in my setup compares to a comparable Alpha setup ?

I wish we had access to an engine dyno...that would be cool if the price was right :)

10 hours ago, FNBADAZ06 said:

Are you not interested to see how the K501 in my setup compares to a comparable Alpha setup ?

I wish we had access to an engine dyno...that would be cool if the price was right :)

My neighbor has an engine dyno. SE corner of 91st/Williams.  He offered to let me use it if I was building something. I occasionally hear him testing something.

20 hours ago, FNBADAZ06 said:

I know which is better, and best of all I know which drives a ton better. :)