Vortec eng

Lurch

I don't know if this the right place to post this. I have a friend with a '97 Vortec 350 eng from a pickup. casting # 10243880. Is there any simple mods that can be done to these

engs to get over 300 HP without going to the bottom end. Cam, heads. I want  to put it in my'82 so early heads so I can still use my stock valve covers. Any feed back will really help. Thanks, Lurch

I understand your desire to use the earlier style heads with perimeter valve cover bolting to maintain the stock look but the big plus about a Vortec engine is the Vortec heads and unless you run those expensive centerbolt to perimeter-bolt adapters, the Vortecs will require the centerbolt style.  Looks like the 96-on-up Vortec truck engines had decent compression, around mid 9's and I think the horsepower was listed around 255 but wasn't able to find cam specs.  To maintain the old style valve cover fastening, you could go for an aftermarket aluminum head like Edelbrocks but most comparison tests have the factory Vortecs nearly putting out as much horsepower and torque as the much more expensive Edelbrocks.  One other drawback to the Vortecs, if you're putting this into an earlier model Vette is the intake manifold.  The Vortecs require an intake manifold that has '4' attachment bolts to the heads, not '6' like your earlier factory heads.  The Vortecs are attractive but just come with some extra requirements.

Thanks, since this car is a daily driver and no trailer queen I can easily live with the center bolt valve covers. A manifold won't set me back much, running a quick fuel carb now. Maybe with a cam and headers  will do the trick but would like to break into the mid 300HP area. If I don't have to put heads on maybe I can change pistons and up the compression a little.

KEEP THE HELP AND INFO COMING! Thanks

The engine most likely will not have provision for a block mounted fuel pump. Maybe no cam lobe for pump?

heads are off, cyls still have cross hatch, minor scratch here and there, nothing deep.No solid plans at this time. Need to do a full teardown of everything then make plans. I have been hitting the web hard to see which way others have gone. some kits come with the cam. I am thinking of going .030 over and angle mill the heads .100 on intake to zero at the exhaust . Angle  mill brings it over 10 to 1 comp.Home and work keep me real busy so this will be a slow build and when it finally does go in I need to put headers, exhaust system, 2500 t0 2700 stall converter, etc,etc!  Want to keep the 2.87s in the rear if I can. I want to do it all at the same time. I truly welcome any and all input into this. Not going to rush it, want to do it once and right the first time.