Tucson dragway street car event...03/04/16

SkymonkeyONE

SkymonkeyONE

I know I am new to this group, but there is a REAL hot-rot street car event at the Tucson Dragway this Friday and I am gonna be there. The event, at the drag strip, goes from 1600 (4:00 pm for you civilians) until midnight. It's CHEAP to both show and race. I'm bringing my 800hp Z06 to show AND race.....

Chuck

Added a date to your thread title. 

I wont make it. Tearing apart my reef tank plumbing this weekend. 

But have fun and remember, pictures and videos are a plus. 

1 hour ago, racingchester said:

Be interested in the times you turn!

X2.  Post up your timing slips!

SkymonkeyONE
12 hours ago, Chameleon said:

X2.  Post up your timing slips!

I'll post results for sure. This will be my inaugural trip to a track in this car. They are doing two types of racing: traditional "dig" and "40-roll". I just put new tires on my car (345/30/19  Pilot Sports) and believe I'm probably going to do a whole lot of spinning. Gates open at 4:00pm tomorrow (Friday, 4 Mar) and it goes till midnight. 

20 hours ago, aAZZ said:

I'm wanting to head up there but do not want to trailer car down and would hate to break 2 hours away from home.

Don't let the breakage fear stop you from having fun. You're far more likely to break something someplace else where you have no support from anyone.

SkymonkeyONE

Here's my write-up on the event....

BLUF: (that's Bottom Line Up Front for you civilians..) It was GREAT!! 

I showed up at five minutes till four (gate opening time) with one of my old Army buddies who's number one on the Tucson street car list; Tony Goodwin. I was the second car through tech and we got the best pit spot on the property. The track opened at 6:00 PM and I got eight runs in before it got positively slammed. There were WAY more than 100 cars running that night. There would have been more, but tech was backed up for at least 1.5 hours by 8:00 PM. 

This was my inaugural trip to the track in my Z06 and it became clear very early on that my 345 pilot sports were simply not gonna hook. The one "dig" pass I did resulted in a 13.02 ET with me blowing the tires off through gears one thru three. I did 40-roll the rest of the evening and did top speed times in that category from 111 to 121. I got passed on the big end by one guy in a white GTR and one guy in a blue ZR1 doing 40-roll. Ultimately, I had a blast. I spent a whopping fifty bucks the whole night: $20 to run as many times as I could stage; $3 for a slice of pizza; $27 for three gallons of racing gas. 

I'll DEFINITELY be back and I hope next time we can plan a meet-up there.

Chuck

at the dragstrip.JPG

in the pits.JPG

time slips.JPG

wide body.JPG

• 11 months later...