• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FNBADAZ06

• Unreal

• TheCMSH

• Ted Y

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do long and hard research on ERL. I think for a NA motor or mild build they are fine, for big build I would skip them. A lot of the big name shops won't touch them anymore. Friend went through 3 of them before swapping to LSX. Way too many head gasket, liner, issues.

Do long and hard research on ERL. I think for a NA motor or mild build they are fine, for big build I would skip them. A lot of the big name shops won't touch them anymore. Friend went through 3 of them before swapping to LSX. Way too many head gasket, liner, issues.

Interesting. This on YellowBullet ?

Not sure. Call Kevin@AGP he did a lot with them and almost because a dealer, but as he looked into them a ton found out about way to many issues. I know Jesse Rayo with the 1500rwhp Camaro went through a bunch of motors from ERL until he finally went LSX and now zero issues.  Bryan@LME won't do them anymore because of issue after issue. Futural same thing, along with a few other top name builders. The general consensus was fine for NA or ~1000hp, but they don't hold up for street use for big power. Fine on a race car that gets torn down often, or if it eats a little coolant each pass no big deal, but street cars way too many issues with liners and head gaskets on anything making decent power.

I rather just see a stock sleeve ls7 block with forged pistons than mess with liners/etc.

yup just say no to ERL. Just pull the motor and give it to our guy and let him do his thing. You will be happy man, but you need to listen to HIM not the internet. If he says you should do X to support X goal than do it! 

Thanks for the info, guys.

I know Livernois does the dry sleeve upgrade service, as well as RED.

Livernois advertises 1800.00 to resleeve the block. I'll check with them on the specifics .

I'll talk to WFO as well.

Dave at VI texted me this info after reviewing this thread ....

Why don't they use a copper head gasket , put a stainless o-ring in the fresh deck and reciever groove the cyl.head? Thats what I did with that 2000 hp big chevy that had 42 lbs boost and 13.5:1 compression on alcohol. The cyl. Pressure was too the moon and no issues.

The reasons for no copper are plenty, brinelling, lack of provision for o-ring on stock block, and the thermal expansion of aluminum versus cast iron to name a few. 

Works awesome on a BBC, in this application, not so much. 

Agreed. A good MLS 6 bolt setup will hold 2000hp. No need to mess with other stuff. 

Plus victors <600rwhp car should have been completely fine at his power levels. 

Yep....if it weren't for the deck issue, I wouldn't have been bleeding coolant into the block with my current setup (I didn't blow a head gasket...it's an installation defect). Remember, this issue existed from the very beginning the heads were re-installed.....and the car ran fine. If it weren't for this deck issue, I would just be replacing lifters and cam at this point in time and driving the car.

My desire to enhance the block with better sleeves and hardware are based solely on the fact the engine needs to come out and get dissassembled for hot tanking, and the premise that I may want to spray or f/i at some time in the future, so the short block would already be capable of anything I would throw at it (within reason). Putting forged pistons in it is a no-brainer, but going the extra distance with the block mods may be overdoing it and inviting other issues, were an aftermarket block would be a better alternative.$3000 to machine and enhance the existing block is already a pretty big pill to swallow......dropping 4500+ on an aftermarket block is just too much for me, for a street car.

I'll make the final decision once the motor is pulled and the block, rods and crank bearing surfaces are inspected. :thumbs

A resurfacing of the existing block deck and throwing a cylinder hone,new bearing, bushings, and forged pistons, on the OEM rotating assembly is a much cheaper alternative, for sure.

Livernois says approximately 5000.00 for the short block..... reusing the existing block, perform resleeving and all other machine work on block, original crank and rods reconditioned and balanced with Livernois branded forged LS7 pistons (11.0:1 cpr). I'd have freight cost on top of that to and from their shop as well.

Livernois says approximately 5000.00 for the short block..... reusing the existing block, perform resleeving and all other machine work on block, original crank and rods reconditioned and balanced with Livernois branded forged LS7 pistons (11.0:1 cpr). I'd have freight cost on top of that to and from their shop as well.

That Rabbit Hole gets deeper and deeper doesn't it? :(

Yep. I think I'd have 3000.00 in just machining and reconditioning, a standard rebuild with forged pistons, if i stay local. WFO is not a fan of the resleeve option.

That Rabbit Hole gets deeper and deeper doesn't it? :(

^^^^  UNDERSTATEMENT. . .:blink

I have "livernois" pistons in my car. They are very nice. Mine were made by Ross, but they also have Diamond ones. Just depends on who can make them. They are their own design. $5000 seems high, but I guess the sleeving isn't cheap. My motor with all brand new stuff, LSX block, calles billet crank/rods was $8500 from them, and sold my stock ls7 motor for $3500 so in the end it cost me $5k.

It was a rough approximation........ERL's dry sleeve blocks come in at 2350.00, so I'd expect something comparable with Livernois. 1K for pistons, then refinish the crank, rods, etc. ARP bolts to button it up. I'll get better numbers when I'm ready to ink the check and decide what to do.

V I have a engine hoist you can borrow, and I'm pretty close by.

If you wanted to drag it over here I can assist in dropping it out the bottom(rack is open right now)

I'm off for the next 2.5 weeks though my schedule is already booked with getting my sandrail together as well as home repairs.

If I can help wrench for a couple of hours let me know

Phil

Who did all the motor work the last time you had troubles with your motor? Any warranty? Or recourse. 

SLAMMER

V I have a engine hoist you can borrow, and I'm pretty close by.

If you wanted to drag it over here I can assist in dropping it out the bottom(rack is open right now)

I'm off for the next 2.5 weeks though my schedule is already booked with getting my sandrail together as well as home repairs.

If I can help wrench for a couple of hours let me know

Phil

Phil are you sure you want another red Corvette in your garage?

Who did all the motor work the last time you had troubles with your motor? Any warranty? Or recourse. 

SLAMMER

I was thinking this also. Without going back and reading this entire thread, it seems like you only got 4 thousand miles out of the new heads and 70+thousand miles out of the original ones.