Under hood sanitizing

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

OK, this car is my rainy day car, but that doesn't mean I have to let it look like this.

IMG_1029-XL.jpg

IMG_1030-XL.jpg

Before I start pissing away money on dress-up things, I'd like to get it as clean as possible. So what are the recommendations for products to remove the buildup of crap? Anything (products) I should avoid?

Besides the obvious of not blasting this thing with a pressure washer, what should I be mindful of while cleaning, to avoid any issues later?

S.C.

just get in there with a degreaser like a Simple Green or the like, just be mindful to stay away from any bearings (idlers, alternator, fan motors, etc). Let it soak in and just rinse off. The rest just go after it with a rag

Pop the pins off the hood liner and take a pressure washer to it, then brush it. If you cant save it that way then get out the rattle-can black spray paint and paint it

Someone had some fuel rail covers for sale recently, for sure get those back on there unless you're looking to do mods

There is a Simple Green spray that is mild. A little water, a soft brush and a wipe down should do you well.

scottcolbath

just get in there with a degreaser like a Simple Green or the like, just be mindful to stay away from any bearings (idlers, alternator, fan motors, etc). Let it soak in and just rinse off. The rest just go after it with a rag

Pop the pins off the hood liner and take a pressure washer to it, then brush it. If you cant save it that way then get out the rattle-can black spray paint and paint it

Someone had some fuel rail covers for sale recently, for sure get those back on there unless you're looking to do mods

Simple Green it is.

And the rail covers were in the kitchen sink when I took that shot. They are now nice and clean.

S.C.

scottcolbath

BTW, is there any trick to pulling the insulation pins without breaking them off? Are they one-time use?

S.C.

BTW, is there any trick to pulling the insulation pins without breaking them off? Are they one-time use?

S.C.

This should do it, cheap anywhere. The pins can probably be reused if you remove them carefully, don't sweat it if you break some, common item at the auto parts stores

post-952-0-40469100-1436051648_thumb.jpg

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Definitely be careful with Simple Green on any metals since it can be corrosive...use it heavily diluted if you do. As mentioned above watch out especially for electronics with water...Ive done many Vette engine details but never has an issue so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ive always liked using a steam cleaner for real dirty engine bays (especially if theres lots of grease) since it restricts the amount of wetness in the engine compartment but still cleans like hell. Harbor Freight sells the McCulloch steamer for like, $80 or so (less if you use their 20% off coupon) and that thing will last forever and is nice on other projects. You can still use a degreaser or all purpose cleaner with it on really bad spots.

For areas that the steamer won't reach (of if you just dont use one at all)...after you do your pre-rinse, spray, scrub and then final rinse....compressed air becomes your best friend. I have a master blaster i use or if you have a compressor it will get the job done as well. Some unimportant microfiber towels to wipe up remaining water will help a ton. Then just use a nice plastic and rubber dressing on your well...plastic and rubber pieces! :) There's tons to choose from...some you can spray and allow to sit and then buff down to a less greasy looking finish (which is what i prefer to do). Some you can just spray and walk away, but they will tend to leave a big more of a shiny finish...but will still look nice.

We use Meguiars Hyper-Dressing for seriously dehydrated hoses and plastics. It's water based and does a nice job darkening them back up. If you're in the east valley at all just hit me up and you can swing by our new shop and i'll give you some. I have 5 gallons of the concentrate so i can mix you up some if you want to give it a try.

Lastly once you finish just fire her up to help speed up any leftover water you couldn't reach and you will be golden!

Why not blast it with a pressure washer? That is what I do. Cover everything in Adams general purpose cleaner, then pressure wash away. Just cover any filters.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Why not blast it with a pressure washer? That is what I do. Cover everything in Adams general purpose cleaner, then pressure wash away. Just cover any filters.

I usually don't assume someone owns one but, yup...if you have one it sure can help! :thumbs to covering filters / air intake and possibly alternator if you do. Just keep it at a fair distance so you're not pushing water into places its not suppose to go :) and life will be good !

Definitely be careful with Simple Green on any metals since it can be corrosive...use it heavily diluted if you do. As mentioned above watch out especially for electronics with water...Ive done many Vette engine details but never has an issue so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Ive always liked using a steam cleaner for real dirty engine bays (especially if theres lots of grease) since it restricts the amount of wetness in the engine compartment but still cleans like hell. Harbor Freight sells the McCulloch steamer for like, $80 or so (less if you use their 20% off coupon) and that thing will last forever and is nice on other projects. You can still use a degreaser or all purpose cleaner with it on really bad spots.

For areas that the steamer won't reach (of if you just dont use one at all)...after you do your pre-rinse, spray, scrub and then final rinse....compressed air becomes your best friend. I have a master blaster i use or if you have a compressor it will get the job done as well. Some unimportant microfiber towels to wipe up remaining water will help a ton. Then just use a nice plastic and rubber dressing on your well...plastic and rubber pieces! :) There's tons to choose from...some you can spray and allow to sit and then buff down to a less greasy looking finish (which is what i prefer to do). Some you can just spray and walk away, but they will tend to leave a big more of a shiny finish...but will still look nice.

We use Meguiars Hyper-Dressing for seriously dehydrated hoses and plastics. It's water based and does a nice job darkening them back up. If you're in the east valley at all just hit me up and you can swing by our new shop and i'll give you some. I have 5 gallons of the concentrate so i can mix you up some if you want to give it a try.

Lastly once you finish just fire her up to help speed up any leftover water you couldn't reach and you will be golden!

Good suggestions. I use CD2 for the final detail spray. Leaves a nice finish but is a bit old skool. It helps if you run the car for a few minutes, warm not hot.

Simple Green it is.

And the rail covers were in the kitchen sink when I took that shot. They are now nice and clean.

S.C.

Yup.... Definitely a Car Guy LOL

Guest badbobs95

One last thing about Simple Green, do NOT get any on the belt tensioner pulley in front! It has acid in it and a couple days later it starts squealing like a pig about to get slaughtered. Then you have to buy a new one. :at wits end:

scottcolbath

OK, just getting to it this morning. Here's what we have so far. This is just the beginning. I've de-greased/de-dirted once. I may make a second pass, only with rags and some other finer tools to pick up more crap. At this point, I've rinsed with the hose and then done a second thorough rinse with distilled water in a bug sprayer. Some of my hoses seem to be stained. I'm going to try hitting them with a Scotch Brite pad and some 409 to see if that can clean them up. If not, replacements will be on the list to do soon.

IMG_1029-XL.jpg

IMG_1035-XL.jpg

My hood insulator has some areas where it's hosed up from the coolant tank leak, so I'm just going to order another one soon.

S.C.

scottcolbath
Getting there. Some more touching up here and there needs to be done. For some reason, looking at pictures brings out things I miss when just looking at the car.
IMG_1036-XL.jpg
S.C.

Alright TED, I know my car is Dirty, especially after that rain yesterday. But I am NOT going thru all this just so it can get dirty again. I do drive mine every day. :btdfstop:

Good lord, my car should be embarrassed! Quite the improvement! :thumbs

scottcolbath

Thanks guys. It looks good for now, but not for long I'm sure. It's not a garage queen, and will surely be out in the rain, or whatever else, since it's my primary car. Although, my primary transportation are my motorcycles. I'm just going to stay on top of it so it never looks like it did before I put in this effort.

S.C.